Sign in to follow this  
MIRAGEone

E36 stepper motor

So I had a fuel leak. One of the fuel lines above the intake manifold was in bad condition

Replaced that hose, and a few others that looked like they could be replaced. Put everything back together. Triple checked the hose clamps were nice n tight etc. Started the car.. after a while it started idling roughly.

Triple checked everything again (and everything that I didn't even touch). Was all good.

Workmate (fulltime mechanics where i work.. this one also owns an e39 so i asked his opinion) suggested unplugging the stepper motor. It was on its way out anyway.. but never gave me any trouble. Tried unplugging it. Idles fine. Rev's drop a little under load.. but thats to be expected.

I've tried flushing the stepper motor with spirits. Gave it a good clean.. to no avail

Right now I'm having to run her without the stepper motor. Stays stuck in 4th gear, which I'm assuming is due to not having the stepper motor hooked up. Not too fond on driving till I find a replacement. But I do have a job so oh well :/

Any ideas. Or anyone on here have one for sale ? (seen a few people constantly trying to sell parts on this board :P)

Hey, for my information, whats a stepper motor? Never heard of that before.

helps control the idle. like say the car's running and you turn the AC on. that puts a light load on the engine. rev's will drop. stepper motor kicks in and compensates

commonly know as a idle control valve .

or ICV .

i have one .

commonly know as a idle control valve .

or ICV .

i have one .

Cheers 3pedals and Brent. I thought it was an ICV.

so i replaced the stepper motor

but im still stuck in limp mode (4th gear really isnt much fun. dont like putting that much pressure on the gearbox either). i assumed the computer would no longer jump into limp mode once i replaced the part

was i wrong. or does that indicate the problem isnt with the stepper motor

(just to recap. the engine was idling rough. unplugged the stepper motor. no rough idle. but she went into limp mode. made sense as i had disconnected the stepper motor.. i thought i located the problem)

I had trouble with the crankcase vent valve on my e36, i had to get it replaced. My problems were rough idle/vibration which then lead to trouble starting in the morning, replaced it and everythings now fine

Sorry your wrong guys.. Needs to be scanned first and then diagnosed from that point. Pleased to try and help you... just give me a call