Sign in to follow this  
Creaver

Did you know?

So I'm replacing my oil and filter and decide to take off the pan to have a gander...and what do I find but a BOLT SITTING IN THE PAN.

My mate who was giving me a hand said supposedly this is quite common, I quickly have a google and WTF DO YOU KNOW, M60's have a problem where oil pump bolts undo themselves?

So if you have one, it might pay to get this checked at your next oil change....

Edited by Creaver

Just as well you found it. I hope you checked them all and refitted them with thread lock. Subaru's are renowned for doing this as well. E30 M40 drop all the internal sump bolts in to the lower sump pan as well causing airation of the oil which causes hydraulic lifter noise and eventually destroys the camshafts. We wont do a camshaft or lifter job on a M40 without doing the sump gasket as well on these. The gasket splits between the bolt holes on the oil gallery for the oil pick up which causes the oil pump to suck air causing the problem.

yes have seen it myself . had a M60 3L engine that was over heated (cracked heads etc)

and when i stripped the block down , found 2 bolts in the pan and most of the oil pump bolts where loose .incl the back plate of the oil pump .

yea so might pay to check .

i also had another 740i e32 w hile ago and the oil light stayed on at low rpm , so gusessing it had the same problem.

i have a article from total bmw about the M60 engines . and its mentioned in there along with other faults .

And the (single) oil pump sprocket nut on my M10. That came off, and I got to pay for a bottom end rebuild including crank grinding and re-nitriding :(

M5x motors are prone to it too!

Theres a trend here?!?

M5x motors are prone to it too!

Theres a trend here?!?

Yep sure are, I had my sump off a few months back and applied thread lock to that nut while it was off as a precaution before the car goes back on the road again B)

Apparantly the RB Nissan motors are also known for this also.... more so the GTR motor correct me if im wrong?

Edited by Boost Junky