Sign in to follow this  
QuickSilver

Mig Welder question.

Hi everyone,

I have recently acquired a new gas Mig/Mag welder. I can of course use this without gas but that's no where near as good and as strong as with the shielding gas. I have always used other peoples or workshop welders and they were all already setup.

So my question is, where does one purchase the gas for a mig welder, and hire a bottle?

I called BOC gas seeing as they have all that, but they require an account which I do not have. Also they threw me off track a little bit because they asked what thickness I would be welding, as I cant predict the future I did no know yet, just told them general automotive things. Does the thickness of the metal have anything to do with the gas? Is there a different type of gas? Or was he asking simply in regards to quantity (IE Thicker steel needs more gas?)

I am only after a small bottle as I wont be using it all THAT much, according to BOC there are three types, knee high bottles (the one I need), waist high, and head height.

Any info would be great!

Thanks all.

A.

Argon gas is what I have always used. But any inert gas will do. Don't think the gas Has anything to do with thickness

a mate of mine used an old fire extenguisher, just unscrewed the top and put a regulator in its place.

How much hassle to setup an account at BOC?

There are different kinds of gas available, CO2, argoshield etc but I cant tell you enough about pro's/con's of each.

Can't remember anything about thickness affecting the gas specifically (it has been a while since I was at uni) but the thickness might change the type of filler/electrode used and hence the gas type. Makes a difference if you are welding a nuclear reactor vessel, but probably not so much on an E30 exhaust...

You could also try Air Liquide - they do welding gasses as well. From memory BOC were pretty good with advice on welding though - they probably want an account to make sure you return the bottle when finished.

Also try http://www.weldreality.com/default2.htm and get yourself a copy of the Sandvik Welding Handbook if you don't already have one... Or this TradeMe .

Depending on what you plan on welding, keep in mind that you probably need a certified weld for anything structural or suspension (i.e.: not something you can do without a course at polytec...) if it is on a road car.

Edit: Forgot to add to have fun - welding is a really handy skill to have!

Edited by elmarco

Thanks all, I will look into the suggested stuff, I'm not sure how much of a hassle BOC is to setup with, I may go in to have a chat and see if I cant swing an account :P

Mike - The fire extinguisher... please tell me it was EMPTY first!?

Will look into Argon, cheers sammy.

Thanks elmarco, I've done quite a bit of welding already in my time, just never actually owned a mig welder therefore never had to buy the gas lol, (never thought to ask about it either) I'm not doing anything structural.

Depending on what you plan on welding, keep in mind that you probably need a certified weld for anything structural or suspension (i.e.: not something you can do without a course at polytec...) if it is on a road car.

99% sure you don't need to be certified to do structual welding, as long as it is seen to be of an acceptable and safe level.

We do all our own welding on our track/rally cars and any one of them would pass any inspection.

99% sure you don't need to be certified to do structual welding, as long as it is seen to be of an acceptable and safe level.

We do all our own welding on our track/rally cars and any one of them would pass any inspection.

I did some welding on a VW beetle torsion bar front end a while back, and it had to be done by a certified welder. Not sure if they have relaxed it but I am picking probably not. Course it may not apply for off-road cars - this was on my everyday driver.

I guess the answer is to check the rules and make sure you don't need the ticket before getting stuck in!

Argon gas is what I have always used. But any inert gas will do. Don't think the gas Has anything to do with thickness

argon shield is mostly used for welding(mig).

we have used CO2 yrs ago but the welds where so hard.not good when i had to grind off afew mistakes i made lol

Edited by BM Weapon aka topcat

Thanks elmarco, I've done quite a bit of welding already in my time, just never actually owned a mig welder therefore never had to buy the gas lol, (never thought to ask about it either) I'm not doing anything structural.

Good o - sounds like you are on top of it. I'll give you a call when I need some welding done ;) .

Guest Spottswoode

You could try Supagas or Air Liquide.

We've recently switched our account from BOC to Supagas.

BOC can suck my cock. Every business I've worked at with a gas account has been dicked around at some point by BOC, and thus changed to Supagas. They're light years ahead of BOC

BOC can suck my cock.

I bet you say that to all the boys.

What type of Mig welder did you buy? I'd be interested to know what you think of it.

elmarco - I wouldnt go trusting me with your welds that quickly ;) You never know what might fall off!

Will have a look at Supagas instead of BOC, they sound much friendlier anyhow...

I bought a starweld sw1000 - I had a good look into many different options and I ended up just going to Mitre10 mega and buying an entry level welder, because in all honesty I have no idea just how much I will use it, it will do everything I need it to. I couldn't justify some of the nice big welders I looked at! Price tags were nice and sparkly too lol.

I'll let you know how it goes as I dont have gas yet, will let you know what I think of it!

Edited by QuickSilver

There has been a lot of tightening on regulations around welding over the past year or so, any welding required to be done for a WoF, suspensions, seats, belt mounts, etc. needs to be done by a NZS 4711 (or higher) certified welder. What can look like an acceptable and safe weld can have no penetration at all and no strength.

Back on topic, I am surprised your welder didn't come with a bottle, or at least Mitre 10 had the option to offer a bottle. I used to get mine from the local pub when I was in the UK (they use CO2 to keep the beer), finised off the Co2 then re-filled with Argon or Argoshield (a good all round welding gas).

Shouldn't be any hassles with a BOC account, just name address, couple of bills. Only need more info if want a credit account. My 2c, been more than happy with BOC as both a big and small user of a number of gasses. Guess it all depends on who is running the local branch though.

I understand that you need to have certification to weld anything regarding WOF issues as well. Although its not too hard to get that certification by doing the right courses.

I'm suprised to hear that mitre 10 offer bottles, do you think it would be possible to go back and inquire about this as it hasnt been 7 days yet since I bought the welder?

I have a small gas/gasles unit ( Italian unit from the Tool Shed ) and if using gas I use disposable bottles that the Tool Shed sells. I think they are about $30 - $40 by memory, fine for DIY work, saves paying rental on bottle from BOC if you only use welder 2 or 3 times a year!

People on trademe sometimes sell the larger Soda-Stream bottles with adaptor, but they would be CO2 only, I think the Tool Shed Disposables are Argonshield.

Speaking of CO2 suppliers (and completely off topic) - does anyone know where to find dry ice?

In the freezer.....

...in the dry ice box? :lol:

Sorry mate, couldn't resist. Will check where we got ours from at work, how much you after? Is it for a 70's style mobile disco smoke machine? B)

Nice one Jon....

Nothing in particular (right now anyway) - but really good for keeping beer cold on hot days. Every time I could actually use it, I have no idea where to find the stuff at short notice.

Pass my regards onto Robert.