Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

E36 M50/M52 Manual conversion

Most of you know I stuffed my already sick auto trans on Friday. Well now is the time to go "3 Pedals"

I'm going to document the whole process along with all the necessary pictures.

I'll also post up all my costs for the project & document the hours necessary to do the complete conversion

I'm sure most of you know my car 1997 E36 318Ti Mtech with M52B28 engine

For those who dont...read this :

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index.php?showtopic=8117

My project will include:

Removal of old trans, driveshaft, oil cooler & pipe work, computer & wiring harness, pedal box etc.

Installing UUC flywheel, M5 clutch plate with M3 pressure plate, gearbox installation (S5D 250G), linkages with Z3 1.9 short shifter, driveshaft, wiring mods for reverse lights & starter, pedal box, clutch cylinders & pipework.

Flywheel & clutch info:

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/

I will also be installing a medium case LSD

If anyone thinks I have left anything out... let me know, I'm starting the project this week.

Buying the conversion kit of Ray @ HELLBM and ordering the flywheel kit tomorrow from the States

BTW: I'll be doing this probably a bit different to others that have done this. I'm going to drop engine, trans and front cross member out because I have the right gear to do so, and it makes the whole job so much easier to do properly.....more to follow :D

Edited by *Glenn*

Some links with good material :

http://www.metricmechanic.com/pdfs/metric-...ial-booklet.pdf

http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/revs.html

http://mgt_sport.drivehq.com/index.htm

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_techtip/...check_valve.htm

Note: If anyone has some good links to add, PM me with them and I'll add them to this list so that they are all in the same place.

Edited by *Glenn*

Looking forward to this. Like your other project I enjoy your straight up talk with no BS in the middle.

Thanks for thinking of us lesser Mortals who dont have the initiative you so.

I should have done this when I did my original conversion :(

I should have done this when I did my original conversion :(

As should I when I blew my trans first time.

Live and learn ay. Ill be eying yours very closely. Interesting to see how much work is actually required

Its nice to know you start doing it, looking forward to see the result. And with this experience, I hope you will be able to help mine in the furture. :P

Edited by Penny

Its nice to know you start doing it, looking forward to see the result. And with this experience, I hope you will be able to help mine in the furture. :P

Yes I know... you keep threatening to come round and meet me and show me your car... whens that going to happen ?? :rolleyes:

Update: :D

Car at workshop and ready to strip

Manual conversion kit ordered from Ray @ HELLBM ...awesome deal BS members only ($1250.oo)

LSD ordered from Dave (Silverfox)

UUC stage 1 M52 lightened flywheel (11lbs) and clutch pedal stop ordered from UUC coming on UPS

Parts to order today from BMW:

E36 M3 pressure plate, release bearing & spigot bearing

E34 M5 clutch plate (sprung hub type)

Z3 1.9 short shifter

Master cylinder & slave cylinder (I want to use new)

Gear lever boot & surround (different on a compact)

M sport 5 speed gear knob

Driveshaft coupling

Output shaft and selector shaft seals

New gearbox mounts

New side seals and pinion seal for the medium case diff

Note: I'll be adding all the part numbers for the parts later

Also: If anyone has anything specific that they would like me to cover on this conversion....let me know

THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE A "BUDGET" CONVERSION

Edited by *Glenn*

Final costing of parts plz

I'm guessing around about $4000 for the whole conversion, however I did say it's not going to be a budget job. It'll probably cost me more, and thats without labour costs. We'll just have to see. All I can say at the moment is, its going to be done properly

Wow... :o ... just had an email from UUC... special deal.... huge discount :D

Yes I know... you keep threatening to come round and meet me and show me your car... whens that going to happen ?? :rolleyes:

lol I am really sorry about that, having some personal problem recently.

I am still trying to fit a poorly made CF hood properly, kind of ashame to show you my car.

But I will meet you soon, just the matter of time.

Ouch !!! :mellow: $645.71 + Gst For a E34 3.6 M5 clutch plate...$308.31 +Gst for a E36 3.2 M3 pressure plate

$499 US$ + freight + Gst at customs for the UUC stage1 flywheel

I'll post part numbers and prices tomorrow.. scarey :o

I've been able to negotiate better pricing on what I need, however I'll only be posting retail prices. My buying prices are confidential...... more to follow :D

About $2,000 eh? Ouch.

That price for the clutch plate is crap (on BMW's part). There is no reason it should be so high. It's just a clutch and 240mm clutches that hold that kind of torque are common enough (before "M"-tax).

Edited by CamB

About $2,000 eh? Ouch.

That price for the clutch plate is crap (on BMW's part). There is no reason it should be so high. It's just a clutch and 240mm clutches that hold that kind of torque are common enough (before "M"-tax).

B&T quoted me $700 +Gst + freight for a Sachs one out of Aussie. That was trade price

prices arent that scary when your not paying retail :P that fly wheel is pricey though! bet you wish you got that 3 months ago

prices arent that scary when your not paying retail :P that fly wheel is pricey though! bet you wish you got that 3 months ago

Tell me... I got a real good deal though. Thats retail. Dual Mass is $1900 NZ $ +Gst.. without a clutch kit Edited by *Glenn*

Obviously not particularly suited for street use, but I got a 6 puck unsprung for the turbo M10 (228mm clutch and modified pressure plate), with throwout bearing, for about $700 incl GST. Would also work on an M20 flywheel.

I dunno - maybe I am being too harsh.

If anyone wants to make enquiries to UUC Motorwerks in the US....email rob@shortshifter.com

But please... no friggen time wasters... Real nice guy to deal with and very helpful... have a good look at their performance products and read the available material and info. I might also add that his email addy is not publicised.

Edited by *Glenn*

I dunno - maybe I am being too harsh.

Not at all... any constructive criticism is appreciated. Some people wont be able to financially afford to do this properly. This. however is how I'm going to do it. I'm only going to do it as I see it .... do it once ....properly

Edited by *Glenn*

Definitely wasn't criticising you, or your choices!

Only criticising BMW, and their parts pricing. Mostly because I am still smarting from buying a nylon cup (#9) to go at the bottom of one of the linkages on my tii for $30 (should be about $5). I bought it over a year ago. Still bearing that grudge.

Edited by CamB

Costs for doing this conversion: See attached Excell sheet

Note: These prices are retail excl Gst

These costs will probably vary. However it gives an indication for those interested

Manual_conversion_costs.doc

Edit: dont take all these part # as the final part number.. some of the parts were supplied wrong. I'll up date this as soon as its sorted.

Edited by *Glenn*

Bahaha, loving the "My costs" section Glenn :). Awesome project thread...will be watching!

The flywheel from the USA and the AG parts on order should all be here next week. Conversion kit from Ray will be here tomorrow.