Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

E36 M50/M52 Manual conversion

Yay...driveshafts ready.... skids in an hour :rolleyes: ...I mean drive :wub:

woooo bet most people havn't seen smoke coming from the rear tires of a hairdresses car very often!

congrats of getting it done! :D

Seriously...I have to let everything bed in properly. :( Skids to come

So when can I book in for a shampoo and set?

All jokes aside, well done Glenn, it's awesome.

(And I know coz I've seen it)

After driving the car home tonight... I'm amazed at the acceleration and flexibility of the car now. Lighter in the front. up about 30mm. Firmer with the solid castor bushes. The engine pulls like a schoolboy, the torque and engine spin up is amazing. Honestly this is great. I'm dam sure the diff ratio I chose was spot on. I'm lucky the grin on my face hasnt cracked from the corner of my mouth to my ear lobes. Just need to weed out the new idiocyncracies (spelling) of the vehicle in its new configeration.. have to watch the reaction of the LSD...especially in the wet on corners and round abouts (no weight in the rear)

I"M LOVIN IT :wub:

BTW: Stick your M50 manifold conversions.... I LOVE TORQUE

Edited by *Glenn*

good work , i need to go for a drive in it soon.

speaking of hairdresses cars , the gut that owns/works at drury auto services has a MX5 with a lexus v8 in it with auto.

Glad to see it has all come together, love your flywheel :D.

Do it with the M3... I can give you contact details.. get rid of the dual mass

I dont want to sound like I'm raving on...but driving the car to work this morning with no traffic to deal with I was able to have a little play..I'm amazed at the flexibility of the the engine now. Even in fourth gear from 1500 rpm the torque and acceloration is amazing. 100kph is 2,600 rpm in top gear as predicted and even in fifth from 1500 rpm it pulls on speed very quickly. I would now say, even though its lacking a few cc's it would give an M3 a run for its money. I would definately not want to go the M50 manifold conversion to get a little more HP at top end and loose the torque or flexibilty of the engine. It has cost me alot to do the conversion, however, its like driving a different car now and I'm over the moon with the results. I'll get the AC regassed on Monday and then get the exhaust system redone with a dual pipe system, twin tips and get the diffuser modified and then it'll be all finished. Also fitting the solid caster bushes has given the car a whole new feel up front. Probably also due to the fact I've lost alot of weight in the car. I think a wheel alignment would also be prudent to do as well.

Its probably also time now to get Gavin @ High Velocity to do a dyno & remap now. Might do that in a couple of weeks.

I'd like to thank those who have made nice comments on the thread

Thanks to my staff as well and to the people who helped with all of this:

Ray from HellBM for the conversion kit

Dave (Silverfox) for the LSD

Brent (Brent HARTGE535i) for the diff

Diff Specs for setting up the diff

Rob @ UUC Motorwerks in the USA for the flywheel & tech info

Barry @ Team McMillan Spare parts for sorting out all my new parts with a really special deal

Driveshaft Specialties in Andromeda Cres. For getting the driveshaft done really quickly for me

A special thanks to Parcel Post...."has my parcel (flywheel) arrived yet ?" .... "no it's not here yet" :wacko: and that was after I had fitted it :rolleyes:

It truley has been a rewarding experience.... I learnt alot as well

Very cool :)

I half wish my clutch would start slipping so I could change the flywheel. Apparently its been changed before though so I am not holding my breath.

I don't doubt your car would now give an M3 a run for its money. You'd have to work the M3 hard to be faster, since its probably only the extra 1500rpm where the extra power is. I'd be lying if I said I regularly revved my car over 4-5k. Its not safe in the city.

Wow Glenn, you have done it! nice work!!

I am sure you will enjoy driving manual car plus the LSD. But you have spent much more then what I expected.

2500rpm at 100km/h huh? its really nice. mine's like 3000rpm, bad ratio..

I wish you can drive my car and tell me the differences between these 2 one day.

Congrats! I bet that smile will be firmly planted there for a while to come yet! I'll have to drum up some problem in my e30 as an excuse to come and visit and have a nosey myself ;)

Was quite a strange weekend... I kept finding excuses to drive the car...I need more gas for the mower..drive....I need smokes..drive... I might buy a couple of lottos...drive.. Ooops beer fridge is low....drive... My laptops playing up.... drive to work and do the 850Csi add on Tardme...need to go and see my mates new car yard..... drive :wub:

Excellent thread Glenn, have loved reading it from day 1 to now.

Glad the results exceed expectations.

Right - you need to start another project now to give me something to look forward to reading (now that Graham has as good as finished the S/C transplant the board is running a bit low on cool projects).

Cheers

Grant

what about that 3L over bore kit with a m50 block ;) and some of those nice S/S headers.

and maybe a S/C thrown in for good luck

thanks for the ride :D

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

Well the projects all wrapped up now... more than pleased with all the results

Braided clutch line installed, air/con regassed, exhaust done and defuser modified :D

post-1129-1238518746_thumb.jpgpost-1129-1238518756_thumb.jpg

post-1129-1238518768_thumb.jpgpost-1129-1238518777_thumb.jpg

Looking awesome, is a credit to you.

Was going to sell my e30 before I 'racerfied' it and do something like this..

The rear boot badge choices looks great.

Bet it goes fantastic.

Edited by Forrest