Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Tweeters go Where?

Hi,

just bought my first bimmer - a straight '89 E30 320i with only 97000 guaranteed km on the clock with the major disadvantage being the auto trans, the really ugly plastic wheel covers, and the shiezen sony sounds - casstte deck which only saving grace is the display matches the dash lights and four two-way 4in sony speakers with paper cones.

Now, I can sort the wheels and ride height, and the auto is there for a while I'm afraid, but I need some help with the sounds.

Now, I'm not one to ask a stupid question without doing my homework first, so I read most of the previous posts Re: what to do suonds wise i.e. front splits, and rear sub.

My previous ride was a Datsun ute which I had put a 40x4 single CD JVC unit and 2-way 6in JVC speakers in the doors.

The head units have swapped places now (i.e. the sony is in the ute as I haven't sold it yet and the JVC is in the bmw) and am now considering what to do re: speakers.

If I was to buy some new splits for the front, what size woofers should I buy to fit in the factory wells behind the kickboards in the footwells, and where should I mount the new tweeters?

Secondly is there a better place to mount the woofers?

Finally, what should I do regarding amping the whole setup (assuming a 10" sub in the boot) considering the power output of my head unit. I could always replace the headunit, but I like it and I am trying to keep the total cost down if possible.

Cheers guys , and hi from a new member!

BravoMikeWhiskey

firstly, welcome.

search ebay and find some factory tweeters that fit in the little triangle bit in the doors opposite the wing mirrors. You can put want ever tweeter you like in these.

also you can buy door builds from the UK that will fit a 17cm speaker.also found on ebay. im not sure on how much they are but the look good. they screw in place of the door cards.

depending on which year bimmer you have, you can remove the ski holes in the back for the rear seat for better sound qual.

set FAQ thread about this

Welcome,

I'd leave the woofers where they are in the kick panels and either mount the tweeters on the dash or in the door. I got mine up on the dash. The standard e30 speaker size is 5 1/4" but I just cut out a hole in the kick panel and mounted a 6.5" in there, or do what tim (bumpstop) said and try and find some proper mounts/grills for them. In terms of amp either a 4 channel which will run splits and a sub or a seperate amp for each. I wouldn't bother with rear speakers (i don't use mine) but if you do want them just run them off the head unit. See "my sounds setup" for my front speaker set up.

Thanks alot - now know what I am doing. Cheers. Will post some pics when done, but don't hold your breath as I live in a Rural area, and don't know when I'll be next in the city to buy the said speakers etc.

Thanks again!

Bravo