Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

Windows 7 Beta

Just installing it now. Pretty simple install after wiping the XP installation, didnt have any drivers for the wireless in my 9300 but once I installed the vista ones its updated everything else automatically.

I wasnt having any problems with my XP setup, I just wanted to try this seeing as it appears to be getting good press.

So, anyone else running it at the moment.

When did you download it as it says it 'no longer available for download' on the website?

I got a copy from one of the numerous websites that are still uploading it, but ended up using a copy a mate had off one of this months PC magazines

Heard good things about it too. Apprently the beta already out performs Vista and XP. So that is good news.

Might install it on a test platform. Can you run the beta under a dual boot setup? Am already running XP and Vista dual boot.

Running it now on my new laptop. Awesome. Starts faster than XP and has some pretty nice features in the rich media side of things.

Finally a OS I can actually get on with. Never gave vista a chance and im glad.

Only thing im not a fan of is the fact your not an actual admin. However I have found a nice little registry entry that allows me to right click on a directory and take ownership of it. EG c:\windows c:\ doc and settings.

I'd like this - can I use it replace Vista on my machine? Any reliable download sites?

I've read about it. Is it a fully functional OS, or just a trial version for the beta? I won't be swapping from XP pro on any of my machines, but would love to try it on a spare box I have.

Im no expert in W7 Bravo but my understanding is that its a fully functional OS. No real problems last night, it didnt detect my wireless so I loaded the vista drivers and so far I can run everything I had on XP other than daemon tools.

Gus, you cant get it any official way now (that Im aware of) but Im sure you'll be able to find it all over the place. The magazines are a month or two behind here and they came with the keys too.

So far Im impressed, marginally quicker than my XP installation, wont install Oracle 10G that I need for work but it will handle 9.

I dig it. Running it on a few test machines at work.

Going to install it on my work PC shortly.

I've been using it on my laptop for about 1 - 1 1/2 months now...

Everything is faster on it... espically networking speeds compared to vista.

It's more stable (even in the beta), pc runs cooler, and a few other things...

Would recommend it to anyone, espically if the retail release is as good as this beta...

we have it running on 512mb ram, p4 - compaq evo heap of junk... suprisingly it runs as well as some of our vista 2gb dual core machines

Just remember the beta will run out in October-November when its released as retail

I think I will install it tonight. Mate from Datacom has a copy that I will borrow. Think I will just write over the XP boot on my machine. I dont use XP anymore at all.

Running cooler will be interesting. I run a clocked E7200 at 3.2ghz. Currently Idles at 36deg on both cores. Never goes over about 50deg under load. If it drops in temp I will kick the chip up to 3.5. Might need new ram for that. Sorry bit geeky.