Sign in to follow this  
danthaman01

Electrical Noob Help Please

Hey

i bought a flashing led to install to help discourage thiefs from having a go, problem is im pretty noob with this electrical stuff so if someone could translate the install instructions into more simple terms for me would be very helpful, the device is just a simple 12v flashing led with a positve and negative wire connected, cars a e36 325

cheers

Dan

INSTRUCTIONS:

"Connect the negative side of the led to a ground in the car and the positive side to pin 87a on an automotive relay, then connect pin 85 to a ground in the car and pin 86 to the accessory wire"

Another way is to connect the negative to ignition (on) or accessory (on) position and the positive to a permanent positive supply.

No relay required

Edited by *Glenn*

What they are saying is you need to buy a standard automotive relay (I'd have thought they'd supply one the useless beggars). You then connect the pins as shown.

The relay will be what's called "normally closed" ie when the relay makes a circuit when power isn't connected to the "control pins" So when the car is off power flowss from the positive wire, through the relay, through the led, and back to ground.

When the car is turned on, power flows through the accessory circuit which the relay is now connected to, so the relay opens and the circuit with the led is now broken and it stops flashing.

They seem to have missed a positive feed though. Need constant +12v to pin 30.

If you want, just put positve to +12v always on (like the power source for your radio, or battery positve) with a fuse - probably 2.5A or less for a small wire to an LED - and a switch, and then negative goes to any baremetal on the car connected to the chassis (there are grounding nuts all over the show under the dash) or an existing ground wire, and just operate it manually.

But if you want it to be auto you'll need to learn a bit about relays etc.

Or do it like Glenn suggests - always on.

Edited by bravo

Another way is to connect the negative to ignition (on) position and the positive to a permanent positive supply.

No relay required

Don't forget a fuse. We don't want your bimmer catching fire.

Don't forget a fuse. We don't want your bimmer catching fire.

True... I forgot about the noob bit :rolleyes:

It doesnt stay on all the time wired my way. When the ignition is on the light wont flash. When you turn the ignition off the LED gets its earth through the circuit and flashes

Edited by *Glenn*

Are the wires on the ignition barrel returns?

Are the wires on the ignition barrel returns?

No...when you turn the ignition off it provides an earth through systems that need a positive feed to work. Jochen or Grant (hotwire) might be able to explain this better...I've done this heaps of times before.

No...when you turn the ignition off it provides an earth through systems that need a positive feed to work. Jochen or Grant (hotwire) might be able to explain this better...I've done this heaps of times before.

Yep, as you say Glenn.

Because of low current consumption of the LED - it is able to see a circuit to earth through any units connected to acc or ign (depending which circuit you use).

Same process for a headlight warning buzzer as long as buzzer is a very low wattage unit. In this case connection between head/park light & ign/acc

so trying to install this thing and i dont know what colour the accesory wire is, fill me in?

Violet is accessory

Edited by *Glenn*

i installed the relay as said power is comming straight from the positive on the battery, accesory from the violet from the igniton but the light only comes on when the car is put into accesory? any ideas