Sign in to follow this  
Karter16

New Shocks for E46 318

Hi all,

My 2000 318 E46 sedan has just been in for a service and it is going to need new shocks all round at some point in the near future. The guys recommended to me that it was better to go with after-market shocks rather than the oem items as it would work out cheaper for superior performance.

Just wondering whether anyone has some comments on different after-market shocks out there for E46 318's and what things I might need to know before choosing what I want (I haven't done this before).

If anyone has any input it would be really appreciated :D

cheers

Matt

How much where you quoted and how much are you looking at spending ?

For coil overs which have shocks that are built for lowering and will last a lot longer your looking around 2500-3000

The OEM motorsport shocks are a good choice for sporty yet forgiving. Bilstien, Koni or H&R are your best bet for aftermarket shocks, as their internals have a proven track record and a lot of time and research was put in specifically for you cars weight. Two way adjustible will give you a good middle ground.

I run KW coilovers which are Koni yellow race shocks shortened with Eibach 550pound rears and 400 pound fronts and Eibach sway bars.

Gives me a awesome handling and isnt uncomfortible around town.

See what your guys come up with and post it up here.

I'm in the position of replacing front shocks on my 328 (think the gymkhana stole the last life from them), quote for OEM was 824+gst, rang the shock shop and two monroe reflex for mtech quoted at 546+gst.