Sign in to follow this  
bimmer boy

E36 M42 Chain tensioner

I have been searching the net for reasons for the rattle sound my car makes sometimes during cold start up and have come to the conclusion in my findings that its the Chain tensioner that needs changing. I read it is a relatively easy job to do.

So what I am wanting to know if someone could possibly give me a rough estimate(Glenn maybe :D) of the cost to do so.

Thanks in advance

Here are details

E36 M42 318is

JC03090

I'd diagnose it properly first. You cant just listen at the noise and assume its something from what you have read.

Of course, but I was merely exploring my options of what it could be and the costs of them.

I'll ask elsewhere, thanks for the input anyway.

Of course, but I was merely exploring my options of what it could be and the costs of them.

how many k's has it done , has it had reg oil/filter changes etc . i hear that they need doing at around 250k .

but a lot of engines rattle a bit when first started until oil pressure comes up .

I recently had this issue with my M3.

Aparently BMW upgraded the original tensioner with a smaller a more stream lined and less complicated one a few years later. I had to order one from BMW in Singapore (I know some people who have a contact there) as I could not find anyone who would supply them here (other than BMW chch).

The rattle was coming from the front of the engine and it would kick up on startup, shut down and when you ease off the accelerator. Makes perfect sense as the chain is loose and will hit top cover when it starts losing speed.

Now, as Glenn said it could be various other issues causing the noise however this is a common fault so you would not be mistaken to assume it's quite possibly due to a faulty timing chain tensioner.

After the tensioner was replaced, car is running like a sewing machine again :)!

p.s. the part is relatively cheap however you may find yourself having to go through BMW who will probably bump it up quite a bit ;(.

I am sure you will be fine, I think it's just the M3 parts that are hard to come by.

Edited by crazyarab

I wasnt having a dig at you... It may not be the chain tensioner. Quite offen the drive belt tensioner and idler bearings will rattle. Thats why I said diagnose it properly first. If you have access to a stethescope...use it to pin point where the noise is coming from. If the waterpump has been replaced check the plastic pulley. We had one that was making a noise similar to chain noise and it was a cracked water pump drive pulley. Take the drive belts off and start it cold and see if the noise is still there. If it is, take the rocker cover off and check to see if the chain is loose when the engine is cold. If you look down the timing chain cover you will see the slipper which is tensioned by the tensioner (drivers side of the engine) if you can manually push it back and the chain is loose, it will be the tensioner. The tensioner should not be able to be pushed back manually. Replace the tensioner and away you go.