Sign in to follow this  
soarer260@hotmail.com

About the E36 323i's and 325i's

Right well, I like my 540i enough not to want to drive it around every day.

Rather keep it for the weekends and 'sporty' events as such...

So I'm going to be looking around for a daily driver thats fairly decent once Ive sold my Soarer, Ive concluded it will be a BMW, realized now they are where its at - sick to death of my boring Toyota's.

Im thinking my best bet would be a E36 series, they seem rather plentiful and relatively cheap for what you get, Seems around 3.5-5k will get you a good genuine 323i or 325i sedan... After one with the M52 straight six, not interested in the 4 cylinder options as int he 316/318's... Ehh.

Basically wanting to know, what are the key areas to look out for when buying one? Ive read the rear areas can be prone to rust and suspension mounts/bushes can play up (like any car)... Anything really important to check on any I look at?

Cheers guys.

Mike.

Stick with the E36 323i, it has the M52. The E36 325i has the older (and not as good) M50.

Check for a service history. Otherwise I don't think that there are any major issues with the E36 323i that you should be too wary of, just the normal wear and tear items.

Cheers

Grant

Really important in my books would be the cooling system. Other bits you want to look at are the headlining and door cloths if it's a Japanese import as they are prone to sagging. Can't think of any other major bits.

As Grant said, get the 323i if you want the M52. The 328i has the M52 too. The M52 will be a better daily driver because it has more low end torque, and I think better fuel economy.

And if you aren't familiar with E36s - do a search for 'Jatco jerk'. That may influence your decision on buying a Japanese import.

325i is a more fun engine . more reliable ,m52 the ali block dont like getting hot at all .

the vanos can cause issues if not had reg oil changes etc .

not sure why people say m50 not as good . from my experience the m50 non vanos is the best of all the m50 type engines , simply 4 valve head with out all the crap that fails around it .

have owned my 92 325i coupe now for about 3 or more years , havn't had to touch it , expcept for spark plugs and oil changes ,and i drive it properly too.

get a 5spd manual if you can , then you wont have failing auto's etc .

if you go a a m52 get the 328i has plenty of guts , the 323i is a bit gutless realy compaired to a 325i , why would you want a detunned engine??? :wacko:

Soarer... to a 323/5??

What the random. You getting all responsible and grown up like all of a sudden?

If you're buying in the 3-5k bracket you're obviously looking at an auto as manuals still fetch decent money as they are rarer. In which case I would buy a 323i. I have owned a 325i auto and while a good car, they are annoying in auto as the transmission is forever hunting for the correct gear to keep the engine in the sweet spot of the rev range. the M52 in the 323i has more torque and therefore a much better drive in auto.

If you're buying in the 3-5k bracket you're obviously looking at an auto as manuals still fetch decent money as they are rarer. In which case I would buy a 323i. I have owned a 325i auto and while a good car, they are annoying in auto as the transmission is forever hunting for the correct gear to keep the engine in the sweet spot of the rev range. the M52 in the 323i has more torque and therefore a much better drive in auto.

Yeah Mark thats what I was thinking today actually,

I would like a manual for a change but Id be stretching my budget out for one, starting at around 6-7k for anything decent. Therefore an automatic one would suit me best, remembering this is going to be A-B car, does not need to be the sports version so an auto 323i would probably be the most logical, though Ill have to keep and eye on the gearboxes as like many automatics they can get issues...

Yeah Mark thats what I was thinking today actually,

I would like a manual for a change but Id be stretching my budget out for one, starting at around 6-7k for anything decent. Therefore an automatic one would suit me best, remembering this is going to be A-B car, does not need to be the sports version so an auto 323i would probably be the most logical, though Ill have to keep and eye on the gearboxes as like many automatics they can get issues...

Hi, was reading your post...

and just thaught id mention this seeming your keen for a manual e36 and 5g is still pushing it.

i know a young guy at my work who has a e36 coupe 323i manual.

lowerd 17'' bmw rims good tyres and int looks good too..

being a young guys car it has been kaned round a bit... il tell him to take me for a drive 2mrow and see how it goes..

i would like to buy it off him but ive got too many cars and no cash. i dont know howmuch he'd sell it for but he dosnt reli know what they are worth so it wudnt be a stupid price.

keep it in mind

and i strongly suggest have a look and afew other manual bmws first.

oh yes its silver and factory manual.