Sign in to follow this  
|ncary

Finally made it to the Track.

Went out with motosoc, just a track intro kind of evening. Gooooood fun. I love having hooked up brake ducts, fade very minimal. And I discoved e30's have no trouble drifting the whole sweeper in 3rd (not show (off) drifting) And also found out that oversteering gets you black flagged ahaa.

My suspension mods start very soon, and I've added a pic of the slalom that shows that stock suspension is just horrible. 25mm front sway bars win.

Anyway some pics. Great evening. These old bimmers are so much fun, great balance and grip.

Weeee, foot flat with good tires in 3rd :D

post-1573-1238794162_thumb.jpg

Yuck. And yuck photoshopping sorry.

post-1573-1238794327_thumb.jpg

Hunting... Making him watch the mirrors ahaa

post-1573-1238794357_thumb.jpg

Next lap :D

post-1573-1238794371_thumb.jpg

Awesome looks like good fun mate, PLEASE let me no next time there is an event like this on :)

I found out 3 hours before it started so it was a huge rush to get tires put on rims and a fire extinguisher installed so yeah I couldn't quite post it up. Are you a member of Motosoc Riley?

Doesn't it! Ground control coilover set-up will fix that very, very soon :D

Looks like so much fun man.

Can vouch for urethane bushes if you havn't done it beforehand also..transformed my car.

That looks awesome. I should hurry up and put my tech1 on.

What spring rates you going for GC kit? You might not need to uprate the swaybars (well I've had no problem at all)

Still deciding that because it won't be a track dedicated car.. Targa is the goal. I'm think 375/550, maybe harder. I wish I had something to compare from argh. Oh well more springs can be bought eh.

I was on the motosoc committee last year, I still get the emails and that may have been the last one for a while. You at canterbury uni? They'll be running some pretty good events this year, any one at canterbury uni should join up, not sure on their position for non-students, might be ok though.

Edited by Mike

I found out 3 hours before it started so it was a huge rush to get tires put on rims and a fire extinguisher installed so yeah I couldn't quite post it up. Are you a member of Motosoc Riley?

wtf! how did you find out? I haven't got an email form them all year.

Hopefully JiB will pipe up with what he has - its worked out well. He had to get front springs locally - I can't remember what we decided the rate needed to change to, but the main reason is that the GC springs are incredibly short so you can't be captive and have the right ride height.

I went from 525-650 to 450-650. Got King Springs to replace the front Eibach's cos they were too hard.

Definitely don't need any more stiffness in the rear (stripped car). Have factory swaybar in.

I am running the GC track school kit with solid mounts and Camber/Castor plates. Koni SA's and GC dyno matches them to the springs :)

I ordered shorter rear shocks and extended rear towers (more $ :()so that the rear has more chance of being captive.

And CamB is right, their track springs are tiny. 6" front 5" rear! Not that much captive adjustability - also remember that you'll have to modify your struts to accept the coilover platforms.

All the kit is very quality and works pretty good. I think softer 400/500 would be better on Targa stuff. When I did Kemp Rd the car was very neutral, but it did kinda seem like the wheels weren't touching the ground all that often? Just felt like it was just skipping holes/bumps in some sections.

Never hear of it mate, how do i get involved? Do i have to be a uni student?

Cheers

I was on the motosoc committee last year, I still get the emails and that may have been the last one for a while. You at canterbury uni? They'll be running some pretty good events this year, any one at canterbury uni should join up, not sure on their position for non-students, might be ok though.

Yeah I'm at Canty doing Engineering, of course. Asked about non-students aye, they said it was cool if they joined. 15 bucks it cost me. Email secretary@motosoc.com... Yeah I can't wait for the carting and grasscarna :D

I went from 525-650 to 450-650. Got King Springs to replace the front Eibach's cos they were too hard.

Definitely don't need any more stiffness in the rear (stripped car). Have factory swaybar in.

I am running the GC track school kit with solid mounts and Camber/Castor plates. Koni SA's and GC dyno matches them to the springs :)

I ordered shorter rear shocks and extended rear towers (more $ :()so that the rear has more chance of being captive.

And CamB is right, their track springs are tiny. 6" front 5" rear! Not that much captive adjustability - also remember that you'll have to modify your struts to accept the coilover platforms.

All the kit is very quality and works pretty good. I think softer 400/500 would be better on Targa stuff. When I did Kemp Rd the car was very neutral, but it did kinda seem like the wheels weren't touching the ground all that often? Just felt like it was just skipping holes/bumps in some sections.

Yeah it seems to be the best kit out there, 2700 NZD at the moment for that. I hope to be running tender springs (the really soft thin springs that compress right down, think thats the right name) to make the rear captive to pass warrants ahaa.

Yeah the front struts need to be shortened and have the ride height adjuster welded on right? Easily done, instructions included apparnantly.

Yeah I think the 375/550 or so would be a good start after hearing that, the Summit Rd is going to be used to set these up and it's bumpy as hell. With a big adjustable sway bar I could wind it up tight and hit the track too, excellent.

Thanks for the input man.

How the hell did you pass the Honda, are you the Stig?

Nice shots, love the body roll in that second shot!

Honda's come out of the corners much slower :D Outbraked at the next, but wow they are actually dead equal in a straight line.

Couple more piccytures..

Finally got my hands on the camera ha. Cool eh?

post-1573-1238897033_thumb.jpg

20B Cosmo by the way. Not the actual owner driving here.

post-1573-1238897048_thumb.jpg

ca18det or something in this old Vauxhall. Had the e30 in the straights but had a violent spin at the end of the straight right in front of me, it just couldn't turn.

post-1573-1238897063_thumb.jpg

Damn, looks like fun. Awesome pics, especially "WIN" lol. Knew I should have joined motosoc during orientation! You've made me extremely eager to get to the track now :(.

Yeah it seems to be the best kit out there, 2700 NZD at the moment for that. I hope to be running tender springs (the really soft thin springs that compress right down, think thats the right name) to make the rear captive to pass warrants ahaa.

On JiB's car, being captive at the rear was no problem unless you want to be stupid low. I don't think you could successfully use tender springs at the rear anyway due to the design, plus they're expensive, probably quite hard to find in 60mm diameter and will further increase the spring rate. I personally think that, especially with 500lb rather than 600lb, you will be fine at the rear.

I'd recommend trying to get Ground Control to sell you the kit without front springs and buy something to suit here once you've got the struts modified etc (JiB didn't just need less hard springs, he also needed longer ones so they are captive). He had about 1" chopped out of the struts when they were modified.

Nice, thanks for that. Yeah I don't intend to drop it to the floor.. oil pan vs Summit Rd, I know which one would win.

I've seen guys with this kit cut 3inchs off the front strut, after hearing he only cut 1inch, 3 sounds like a lenght to cut if you want a low-as-possible car.. Bloody americans on e30tech ahaa.

Can always ask GC for longer front springs, they're pretty friendly. Otherwise, Cardwells can get the same Eibachs.

I reckon you want longer and softer springs cos you'll want all the travel you can get for targa. And maybe not chop the 1" out of the struts for more height? Check out my thread to see how little travel I have :wacko: When GC said "track" they really meant track.

Yeah, the 'Mericans are focused on getting it into the weeds. I am more focused on making sure JiB's car has acceptable rear camber!

:D Are you using any camber correcting bushings or systems with an eccentric bolt?

Even a degree less at my ride height would be suberb..

Yeah, the 'Mericans are focused on getting it into the weeds. I am more focused on making sure JiB's car has acceptable rear camber!

Again, CamB is correct. I am essentially a hardparker like the Americans and the camber makes my 16x8's fit.

But dynamically, i could do with less at the back. I have about 3deg at the rear, so i do need some correction. Finding solutions that don't cost a million dollars is another matter..

Further to that, the rear of JiB's car still needs some work - 300,000km old bushes (all of them, subframe, diff, trailing arms). Eccentric bushes are an option but a pig to adjust (apparently) and go out of adjustment easily.

Front's mint though.

Edited by CamB