Sign in to follow this  
mattgoldsbro

Shakey E36 ?

Hi any help would be much appreciated, I have noticed lately that when i come to a stop at the lights/intersections etc . My car will have a slight shake while foot is rested on brake and still in the drive(D) posistion, if i change into neutral(N) or park(P) seems to go away which makes me think it could be the transmission. Car seems to be running pretty good apart from this annoying problem.

Vehicle is a 1996 328i

Thanks

OT, but I am sure Glenn is getting sick of people asking where they are, can someone make a sticky or something for the new members to make it compulsory to show where abouts they are? I duno I would be frustrated if I was Glenn.

OT, but I am sure Glenn is getting sick of people asking where they are, can someone make a sticky or something for the new members to make it compulsory to show where abouts they are? I duno I would be frustrated if I was Glenn.

I totaly agree...It should be compulsory for BS membership. I really get sick of it ... its only a few digits

I was going to suggest that I check it for you... out of the question though.

I'd get it scanned first and go from there

Hi , have just got car back from garage in chch and still problem exists ! seems to be only when car is up to full running temp and randomly whether or not car is in gear. Seems to still drive ok but can still notice slightly at lower revs. Mechanic did not seem too have any ideas as too why ? Scan was ok - no faults. Have had full service oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs. Starting too get pretty annoying ,any suggestions would be great thanks???

Come along to the Christchurch meet and illustrate your problem, someone might be able to shed some light on it.

In neutral and at proper operating temperature what RPM does your car idle at?

Come along to the Christchurch meet and illustrate your problem, someone might be able to shed some light on it.

In neutral and at proper operating temperature what RPM does your car idle at?

Forgot to mention also had thermostat replaced , Car idles at about 700RPM not much more when cold ,the thing is the rev counter looks pretty steady even when car shaking ?

Forgot to mention also had thermostat replaced , Car idles at about 700RPM not much more when cold ,the thing is the rev counter looks pretty steady even when car shaking ?

one of two things, either an air leak from possible PCV valve or hoses, or a coil is breaking down, needs diagnosis, the fact its worse hot suggests a coil, need a tester with cylinder comparision live status when fault is doing it and you will see one cylinder worse than others

Time for some longer cables then ;)

Time for some longer cables then ;)

All sorted now ,had a broken radiator fan, 1 blade was missing - have fitted new fan and all sweet