Sign in to follow this  
keen

m40 query throttle body heater to bypass

I ran a hose from the plastic return pipe on the side of the motor to the heater outlet on the back of the motor some time back to bypass the throttle body heater, then on the weekend I was fixing the TPS under the throttle body which has made a wonderful difference to the idle running of the motor after the adjustment was reset,( why do people adjust the idle stop screw and not fix the problem) anyway back to the question If I was to put a cap over the two connections where the hose goes now eliminating the need for the hose bypass would this cause any damage to the motor as far as cooling goes? it would get rid of another hose that is in the way of the TPS plug and make things easer in there for me

Why do you want to eliminate hoses BMW thought it necessary to install ???

i have found it dropped the temperature of the throttle body, since i have it off, original reason was because the car kept over heating, this made a minimal difference but nothing compared to a new radiator :P

i have found sources on the net that say BMW put it there for winter driving when the air is ICY/cold, the heater pipe makes sure the throttle body is warm/hot so that no icy air gets into the engine, instead it is turned into steam

pretty much if you encounter temperatures 5 degrees and below its not a good idea to disconnect it

that's just my opinion from research, i'm not a BMW mechanic so don't go my word :)

Edited by Jamez

Why do you want to eliminate hoses BMW thought it necessary to install ???

Yes Glenn that is a question that I ask other people when they do some changes to there cars but in short I replaced the throttle body heater hose when mine ruptured and I had a hose that was only good enough to go to the heater outlet and the return pipe At the time I didn't have one small enough for the throttle body outlet and I have just left it there. But while working on the TPS I found it got in the way of the TPS plug and again I have two spare rubber caps that will fit the end and then posed the question here. I would certainly not put myself in a position to be a know it all when it comes to the engineering of my favorite marque.