Sign in to follow this  
Antallica

Painting Alloys

Has anyone painted their alloys to another colour? I'm sick of my 15's being silver and would love black but not sure if this is a stupid idea or not....

I've heard a few stories around work like just sand them back and spray them etc.

I have done a couple sets.

Basic story is:

(This is from personal experience, in my project thread I just repainted the centres of my new alloys and they came out amazing).

Sand with something like 240 to 400 grit wet and dry, clean with meths, mist coat of etch primer, 2 x 'wet' coats of etch primer, dry for x amount of time, 1 mist standard primer, 2 x wet coats of standard primer, dry for x amount of time, 1 mist of undercoat, 2 x wet coats of undercoat, dry for x amount of time, 1 x mist base coat, 2 x wet coats of base coat, dry for x amount of time, 2 wet coats of clear, dry for a couple of days then cut and polish.

If you really want the wheels to guarantee not to chip, get them powdercoated, costs about $60 to $80 per wheel IIRC.

Can look good as if you be patient and use quality paint and don't mix brands. For the base coat I used that new VHT Premium Aerosol paint, seems to be pretty decent.

Here is what can be achieved:

From this:

post-3292-1239052881_thumb.jpg

To this:

Posted Image

Have a go :)

Hope that helps,

Nathan

Edited by Forrest

Sweet, at some point I'm gonna do this to my wheels. Diamond schwartz centre with polished lip. Mmmm.

I used a similar process as Nathan to repain my basketweaves (just in silver). i used Duplicolour primer, wheel paint and clear coat and they came out really well.

Dean

Sweet, at some point I'm gonna do this to my wheels. Diamond schwartz centre with polished lip. Mmmm.

You know you want gold centre's.

They are coming up really good Nathan. Can't wait to see them on the car.

I'm about to do the same to my stock rims (bottlecaps) coz the centre caps are a slightly different silver.

What Forrest said was right.

I'm about to do the same to my stock rims (bottlecaps) coz the centre caps are a slightly different silver.

What Forrest said was right.

Powder Coat approx $25.00 a rim looks great, cheaper than paint in a can and no sanding

thinking about doing some m5 throwing stars on my silver e28 but with black centres .

like this

Posted Image

to go on these

Posted Image

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

Powder Coat approx $25.00 a rim looks great, cheaper than paint in a can and no sanding

I only want to paint the centres tho and leave the lip. I've got all the gear in my shed. Just need the time (and the beers)

I painted my rims on my race car with dulux spray cans from mitre 10. Just rub the rims all over with paint thinners then give them a good coat of paint.