Sign in to follow this  
jordyboy2

BMW M6 classic coupe 1985

I think these e24 635csis / m6s are much like the 8 series in that they are rare and special but oddly you never have to look far to see one for sale. Why?

I prefer the white M6.coz white BMW is rare.

I dont know if its just the angle of the photos, but the schnitzer one just looks soo much more aggressive :wub:

I think these e24 635csis / m6s are much like the 8 series in that they are rare and special but oddly you never have to look far to see one for sale. Why?

Hey mate, interesting point. I have been a hard-core E24 enthusiast for the last 23 years and have owned one of the better 635csi's in NZ (a burgundy 1989 Highline) and number 312 /524 - a Polaris silver M635csi that was my pride and joy until I sold it in late 2007. I now own a manual 4.4 840ci E31, but the E24's are still the ones I love.

The 635csi's are indeed quite common, as they were one of the most commercially successful coupes for BMW. However, in reality, very few genuine NZ new M6's pop up for sale (as there were only approximately 20 delivered here out of the 524 made RHD).

There are now around 30 in the country including the UK and ex-Japan imports. I reckon however, on average only one or 2 NZ new examples pop up for sale every year. Generally speaking, unless they are marketed expensively, they move pretty quickly (around low $30's). These days they are still a niche' car- people like the idea of having one, but there seems to be very few actually buying them unless they are a NZ new car with great history.

The ones that seem to linger around on trademe tend to be the imported ones, and that is why there always seems to be one for sale.

The Schnitzer car looks great. I saw it when it came from Japan a few years ago and it looked a little rough. It has the rare M-technic body kit and has been lowered. Something very odd though, it doesn't have ///m dials on the dash. Yet it is definitely a M6. I am near certain the 'Scnitzering' is purely cosmetics. Regards.

Do normal M635csi's not have the swingometer?

note schnitzer gauge panel compared to this: http://www.bcspears.com/images/M6_474_Int_Speedo.jpg

edit: and the redline <_<

Hi there, well this Schnitzer example has an economy guage (which you see on the 635csi) and where is the ///M logo on the dials like on the example you have showed? Unlike later ///M cars, and even its sister car from the same era the E28 M5 , the E24 M635csi had very few visible signs internally to display its special status as a ///m car. The only place where you see the ///m was on the dials. Even the gearknob showed only the gear- pattern, no ///m or /// tri-colour. Very subtle stuff.

I am certainly this is a ///m six though; I think I recall checking the VIN details, and from memory it is a Euro LHD M635csi so puts out the standard horse-power.Or it maybe a Japanese market m635csi ordered with left hand drive (a highly prevalant practice for the Japs during the 80's - ordering a car in LHD - it apparently provided extra kudos for the owner). I can't remember, but it was the real thing.

One thing I like about this example is that it has the ///M technic body-kit - very rare and I believe it modernises the look.

It just seems odd about the dials - why would someone replace it with a 635csi one?

Guest Ari Gold

It's UNCANNY how identical this car is to Dynes' racecar. Same kit, same wheels, no fogs.

The only difference I can see is that this doesn't have side markers and Dynes' racecar does.

What is the redline on the S38 motor anyway? I still can't fathom the gauge cluster change over, I mean, its got a much longer (300kph) speedo also, so half of it is real :D

It's UNCANNY how identical this car is to Dynes' racecar. Same kit, same wheels, no fogs.

The only difference I can see is that this doesn't have side markers and Dynes' racecar does.

What is the redline on the S38 motor anyway? I still can't fathom the gauge cluster change over, I mean, its got a much longer (300kph) speedo also, so half of it is real :D

6500rpm for the s38 in this year.

Hi fellas,

Been looking at E24 M6 / M635CSi's recently so this thread is of interest. The TM links are dead now, is this thread about the two for sale on TM at the moment? DWP564 for the LHD Schnitzer and OX1873 for the RHD new NZ?

Cheers

Hi fellas,

Been looking at E24 M6 / M635CSi's recently so this thread is of interest. The TM links are dead now, is this thread about the two for sale on TM at the moment? DWP564 for the LHD Schnitzer and OX1873 for the RHD new NZ?

Cheers

Hi there, this thread was about the LHD drive M6 that was / still is still for sale on t/me, and the LHD ex-Japan car with Schnitzer badges and exhaust which is also advertised.

Ox1873 advertised currently is a very special car that has been for sale on and off for around 5 years. A friend of mine in Melbourne was keen to buy it 5 years ago and I inspected it for him. He ended up having financial issues and had to scrap the idea. I was going to buy it myself last Xmas, and would have if I didn't see a 840ci sport for sale the next day (which I bought). This M6 is a very nice car. I have owned 635's and a M6. Ox1873 is one of the best in the country- the only problem is the colour. White is not for everybody, especially adorned with 80's chrome. If it was say Lachs Silver, Zinnober red, or Royal Blue, this car would have been snapped up a few years ago. It is also a tad pricey (but in line with UK prices for a similar car).

I am huge E24 fan and if you want some advice on buying one, feel free to ask. I have owned a few BMW's but I have a special bond with the E24.

I was in Melbourne a month ago. I caught up with a few BMW club members from Victoria and I had the privilige of driving 2 beautiful E24 M635's around the beautiful Mornington Pensinula area (rural) at illegal speeds. I was in nirvana! Even 25 years later, these twin cam sharks are alot of fun!