Sign in to follow this  
wobbly47

castrol edge 0w/40 anyone used it? what do u think?

this stuff any good anyone had any experiences with it?

castrol book in supercheap says its ok for my 540i but castrols own website says CASTROL SLX PROFESSIONAL BMW LL01,

Anyone had any eperience with the ferrodo pads? these were great in bikes and the race compound ones were awesome.....anygood in cars?

cheers guys

E39 540 should take a 5w40 or a 10w40 oil only. Semi or full synthetic

cheers Glenn, any idea why the castrol book says its ok to use the 0 weight? im a bit confused to the differing info.

thanks Deano

cheers Glenn, any idea why the castrol book says its ok to use the 0 weight? im a bit confused to the differing info.

thanks Deano

I dont have a castrol listing here. My Elf listings dont show any "O" weight oils listed for BMW.

It may be a mistake... I'm not sure

BTW: Stick to OEM pads

hey wobblyone, just saw this thread, I know it's too late but have some information which you and others might find helpful about which oil to use.

basically BMW TIS says as long as it meets their minimum standard then it's doesn't matter whether it's 0w40 or 0w30 or 5w40 or 5w30. If it's meets LL98 specs like the M62 then you can use LL98, LL01 or LL04.

eg

Castrol Edge 5w30 is LL98

Castrol Edge 0w40 is LL04

Mobil1 0w40 is LL01

Valvoline Syngard 5w40 is LL01

Oils marketed in US have different name, I think the SLX might be common in US but don't know what is the equivalent in other parts of the world.

I put castrol edge in my e36 325i and it was to thin...

I wouldnt recommend it.

5-10w-40 or higher only.

0w-40 is for brand spankin new engines only.

Sorry if im wrong, but don't the grade numbers have more to do with temperatures than "weight"

As in 0W40 meant the oil still keeps the appropriate "thickness" or viscosity at lower temps compared to 10W40 etc....?

Engine design... and the climatic conditions that engine is used determines the correct oil grades to use by any given manufacturer.

I'm still waiting for ELF to give me specific info that I will post when I get them. Similar to what Josh has posted. It will cover all lubricants used on BMW's

maybe one is his companies answering questions for answering tech questions, and the other is a personal account so comments are not referred to as being representative of the company

I put castrol edge in my e36 325i and it was to thin...

I wouldnt recommend it.

5-10w-40 or higher only.

0w-40 is for brand spankin new engines only.

What happen, was it doing something funny?

BMW TIS says LL98 can be used in m50 & m51 engines found in e36.

BMW Longlife oils are only available in 0w/5w-30/40 and can be used anywhere in the world, at anytime of the year, regardless of the ambient temperature.

What happen, was it doing something funny?

BMW TIS says LL98 can be used in m50 & m51 engines found in e36.

BMW Longlife oils are only available in 0w/5w-30/40 and can be used anywhere in the world, at anytime of the year, regardless of the ambient temperature.

Well the engine was tired I guess(had done 165000 km's) and wasnt making any funny noise's or sounding bad at all untill I switched to the 0w-40 sh*t from castrol(And thats when all hell broke lose in my engine instantly... knocking noises started instantly, vanos rattle began instantly..sounded like a friggun diesil...took it to a mechanic and they wanted to replace anything that looked worn even slightly...they quoted me $1000 to fix the peice of shite...I just decided ENGINE SWAP! and tossed that engine) Like I said...0w-40 is not for engines other than brand spanking new... else it will kill your engine... piss you off and waste your money.

Yes, overall I cannot really blame the oil....I can only blame the run down engine....But the engine had alot more life left in it if I didnt switch to that sh*t due to that "Recommendation crap". But I believe BMW and Castrol only really support that oil from the new point of view, not the "this will improve your engine no-matter what point of view". So be aware if you've done 60000k's+ I wouldnt switch to the lower viscosity oil, I'd probably go to a thicker oil in step's of 5 every 50000kms to keep up with the wear of the engine.

Hope this helps=D :rolleyes:

But I believe BMW and Castrol only really support that oil from the new point of view, not the "this will improve your engine no-matter what point of view". So be aware if you've done 60000k's+ I wouldnt switch to the lower viscosity oil, I'd probably go to a thicker oil in step's of 5 every 50000kms to keep up with the wear of the engine.

Hope this helps=D :rolleyes:

I see, thanks. Sorry to hear you waste so much money...