Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

In ear headphones

I need something for at the gym.

I dont like the crap music they pump out at great volume, so need something that I can use to block that out, they need to sit nicely, dont fall out all the time but must deliver a reasonable quality ranging from podcasts of just people talking through the The Prodigy.

I know there are a couple of people on here with experience (Im looking at you Josh) so would appreciate some help with this.

At work I use Bose Quietwhatevertheyrecalled II's which are great at getting rid of background noise (aircon mainly), but whilst the audio quality is good I dont consider it great and everywhere else I use Koss PortaPro which I consider to be excellent. Unfortunately they arent much good at the gym :( Both letting in too much outside noise and they also tend to fall off quite easily.

I dont want to break the bank either so value for money is FTW.

Also Im think Im sure in that Ive seen some claiming to be noise cancelling aswell....is that actually possible with an in ear headphone ?

Just found Gus' thread on the subject, why is it that the Koss sparkplug phones are almost worthless in the UK (under a tenner) but here they are $50? Id spend more than 10 quid at McDonalds for lunch !

Edited by Penry

Shure in-ear headphones are FTW.

Quite expensy though, what are you looking to spend?

You have to spend a bit of cash to get decent in-ear stuff. Shure are around 250-300.

Having something mashed into your ear is such an unnatural way to hear sound too, I mean, you don't read a book with it taped to your face do you.

Having something mashed into your ear is such an unnatural way to hear sound too, I mean, you don't read a book with it taped to your face do you.

Which is why I prefer the PortaPro for listening at any other time, Ill always prefer 'open' earphones but thats just my opinion.

Ultimately these are just going to be for the gym so I dont want to spend a fortune on them.

Guest Simon*

There are Phillips in ear noise-cancelling ones going for about $80. I've got a set, they're active ones taking a AAA battery and come with a range of the little rubber cups in different sizes and an airline headphone adaptor (Gold :) ). I find them good, but at the gym I just use an Altec-Lansing set of cheapies that came with my Dell. In the gym these block out all their crap music and anybody talking just fine - it's the fact that they're in ear with rubber cups that seems to make all the difference.

2c

I've got some of these and they're really good for the price. Sound quality is great, and they're really robust. Only downside is they tend to fall out of your ears when running. It probably depends on the size/shape of your ears.

I used to have some of these and the sound was awesome, but they are sooooooo fragile. I broke at least 3 sets trying to clean them. If you get them with a warranty i would definitely go for it though. They fitted in my ears really well too, and the bass is awesome.

I use some cheap Philips clip over the ear things at work. They cancel most of the outside noise (machines humming away) and are quite comfortable. $20 from d*ck Smiths.

Edited by sp8s

I have some in-ear Philips that have a rubber arm that goes around your ear, come with different size inserts for people with big/small ears, got them through fly buys, but I think RRP would be under $30 easily.

Never fallen out on me at the gym and because of the different size inserts they pretty much eliminate outside noise I thought.

I put earmuffs over the top of mine at work :D

Might look a little silly at the gym tho...

If you want to stretch you budget a little more get some Bang & Olufsen A8 headphones, worth every cent!!

The only set you will have to buy in your entire life best I have ever used.

They are $250 and wont fall out of your ear like others and you wont look like a d*ck wearing ear muff headphones, win win

post-29-1239930739_thumb.jpg

Edited by RJS

I agree with Ryan, Bang & Olufson A8's are amazing! Same with Shure.

I used to have some of these and the sound was awesome, but they are sooooooo fragile. I broke at least 3 sets trying to clean them. If you get them with a warranty i would definitely go for it though. They fitted in my ears really well too, and the bass is awesome.

I currently use these, were ~$60 at JB Hi Fi. The have good range and nice bass but the only thing I don't like is the different length of each cord that has the actual earpeice on it, as your supposed to put one cord around the back of your neck. I used to have the cx500 but they broke, not really because the were fragile though.

Over all Sennheiser is a good quality, cheaper brand I think.

I used to use skull candy smokin buds but after 4 sets on warranty dying in one ear, and losing ear rubbers, I gave up. Now I have some panasonic $40 ones and they have lasted 6 months! These. They have survived road building, dont fall out easily and the rubbers dont fall off!

I've heard good things about "Ultimate Ears" (UE), now owned by Logitec. As you can see here and here they sort of range in price. :rolleyes:

get some Koss spark plugs or Sennheiser CX300s for a tenner delivered to me and I'll post them to ya. Total cost, under $30 I reckon. Other stuff might be better but not THAT much better

I've heard good things about Shure's, but so much £$ for an in-ear - it's a compromise at the end of the day

For gym use, CX300 may not be best because of how they are worn in your ear, you will hear your own footsteps as you run on treadmill etc...

For gym use, Sennheiser sports range are quite good (there are 4-5 models depends on your wearing preference), almost all models are sub-$100 and they are water resistent. They are the lime green ones, pat them with wet towel then hang air dry for cleaning and take out the sweats.

I would guest sound quality is not the top priority when you are working out anyway, there is no need to called for B&O, Shure and the likes.

Edit: typo

Edited by my_e36

get some Koss spark plugs or Sennheiser CX300s for a tenner delivered to me and I'll post them to ya. Total cost, under $30 I reckon.

Thanks for the offer Gus, but it wouldnt be worth the hassle to either of us to save 30 bucks when I just walk into the store today and have them there and then.

Appreciate it though.

you wont look like a d*ck wearing ear muff headphones, win win

I proudly wear my senn 212pro ear muff headphones in the gym (well when i went) as i really hated hearing the grunting idiots, the chatter of eye candy, the instructor for the spin/step/XXX sessions, and the stupidly stupidly loud crap top 40 crap blasting out of every second roof panel...

I'd just settle down into my own hard rock world and get it done.... LIKE A BOSS.... 

Edited by DRTDVL

I have used several types, and would say that if you can find some by etymotic in your price range to go for it. Sound is pretty amazing once run in and firmly jammed into your lug. Currently I use Shure, as getting the replacement filters for the ety's here in NZ became a chore. Miss my etys - daughter has em and now they're stuffed...

Guest Ari Gold

I proudly wear my senn 212pro ear muff headphones in the gym (well when i went) as i really hated hearing the grunting idiots, the chatter of eye candy, the instructor for the spin/step/XXX sessions, and the stupidly stupidly loud crap top 40 crap blasting out of every second roof panel...

I'd just settle down into my own hard rock world and get it done.... LIKE A BOSS.... 

and where the hell do you keep the (faintly rediculous) 3m cable? I dj with these and even then the cable is too long, especially as it a flat cable, not coiled like the pioneer / Sony dj headphones.

There are some Bose Noise cancelling headphones and ear muffs, apparantly are amazing but a tad pricy

and where the hell do you keep the (faintly rediculous) 3m cable? I dj with these and even then the cable is too long, especially as it a flat cable, not coiled like the pioneer / Sony dj headphones.

I like it... i either wrap it around the mp3 player or when needed like on machines i can have it on the floor under the seat out of the way...

I love how everything is replaceable on them also.. 

Guest Ari Gold

I just dug out the mini screw drivers, inside the ear cups is a 1.5mm jack - now to find a coiled cable to swap in!

What did you end up getting Martyn?

I am on the lookout for the same kind of earphone in the same price range as my trusty standard iPod 'phones have failed on me.

Have been looking into getting these

The missus has some noise cancelling Sony headphones she uses at the gym with her new gen nano. They work perfectly as they are ear buds too.

I wouldn't ask me what I use ill just end up telling you to move into the pro range stuff :D ...

Just got my wireless g3 body pack stage in-ear monitoring system turning up finally from the states soon. very excited :D

I use Skullcandy Smokin Buds at the gym. They do a really good job of canceling out everything else because the buds fill your ears comfortably and completely and all you can hear is what you want.

I got mine for $60 and am really pleased with them.

Posted Image

They also come with different sized buds to suit your ear-'ole size

I have a pair of them as well. I like them. They are comfortable to wear for extended periods and block out plenty of background noise.

Cheers

Grant