Sign in to follow this  
nath

1 series smells

Occasionally driving the 120i, there is a distinct smell of something like paint burning off a manifold, or maybe a fluid on exhaust etc..... Today the smell came just as i was slowing down on the driveway, and i SAW something like steam/smoke coming from near the front left of the car's nose.

I can't see any spills or anything like that under the bonnet, apart from a short bit of hose near the bottom of bay with greasy dusty bits on it, like a power steering line- but definitely not leaky dripping.

It manages to get into the vents to the cabin undetected, so must be from the engine bay.

The car has just had its 50,000km service done and nothing showed up at all.

Any suggestions/ help?

Bring it around tomorrow.

Try having someone looking the engine bay keeping an eye on the power steering hoses. Ive had a leak that was invisible to the eye but when the steering wheel was turned (and pressure was pushing the fluid through) you could see the hole clearly.

I found it because the smoke was completely white and didnt happen all the time, the fluid was leaking onto the manifold.

Sweet i'll do that Martyn- and G dawg, i would but cant- have a crowd out on the boat tmro eh!

Guest Simon*

Sweet i'll do that Martyn- and G dawg, i would but cant- have a crowd out on the boat tmro eh!

On the motherf***ing boat?

Don't forget your swimming trunks, flippy floppies and your nautical-themed pashmina afghan mmmmkay.