Sign in to follow this  
Boost Junky

Solid mounting rear subframe

Have done a search on here and Google but can not find much information on solid mounting my rear subframe. There is bushes to help stiffen the subframe up but I have heard of other people welding large washers at each end or clamping the factory bushings by adding plenty of washers against the factory bushes. I know naughty bmw has done the welded washers to the ends of the subframe bushes. Can anyone else shed anymore light on doing this?

Cheers, Luke

I was told you would also have to solid mount and reinforce the diff. Lots of $$$ involved if you don't want failures.

I was told you would also have to solid mount and reinforce the diff. Lots of $$$ involved if you don't want failures.

So solid mounting the subframe means the movement from the subframe transfers to the diff I take it? So I would need a solid mount for the diff and to reinforce where the diff mounts to the underbody of the car to prevent it ripping away?

So solid mounting the subframe means the movement from the subframe transfers to the diff I take it? So I would need a solid mount for the diff and to reinforce where the diff mounts to the underbody of the car to prevent it ripping away?

Yeah, that's the idea. Remember that bushes absorb a lot of vibration stress - when solid mounting that will transfer straight to the attachments.

Yeah, that's the idea. Remember that bushes absorb a lot of vibration stress - when solid mounting that will transfer straight to the attachments.

Yea didnt think about that but makes perfect sense thanks dude. Might just install my 5stud conversion for now to get the car mobile again and address more serious modifications closer to track time I think ;)

You can buy solid subframe mounts from Ireland Engineering.

bmw2002.com.

I'll go find a link...

OK They don't have any anymore - they definitely used to.

Turner motorsport is just as good and a reputable bmw aftermarket performance part distributor. Plenty of bimmersport guys have stuff from them (suspension and braided brake lines etc).

Turner Solid mount kit.

The benefits are less flex, the downside is harsher ride and more vibration.

Ireland's now use these, Delrin.

http://store.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFro...reland&All=

Go to E30, then performance parts, then suspension, then solid rear mounts. Good price, you need 2.

Edited by Silver Fox

Yeah, wouldn't put up the whole link? Why? You smart arse. :lol:

Haha you guys crack me up. So use urethane bushings instead of solid aluminum? They arnt to badly priced at all.. Remember im using E36 rear subframe im sure they are the same though as far as the mounting bushes go.

Thanks guys

Go to my link and follow it thru the E36 side, they do for the Z3/ti rears. Same price.

Go to my link and follow it thru the E36 side, they do for the Z3/ti rears. Same price.

Oh yea I saw that haha cheers ;) So there is no where I can purchase some in NZ? I have looked through the Nolothane book at work no such luck... I could possibly match something up from measurements.

Talk to Suspensiontech about what they can make for you. Or Autolign. I'm pretty sure that both do custom bushes. Susp tech did the valving on my Bilsteins. Chris is a mate of Keith Hartley (aka SUSPENSION - H&R forum Sponsor).

David - the site uses frames - you need to get the url for the frame, not the parent page - frames are FTL on modern web pages.

http://www.akgmotorsport.com/e30products.html

Go about 1/3 down the page to see the bushings you need. These are the best, used and recommended by anyone wanting a road legal race car (or race car), $130 USD for subframe and trailing arms in 75D delrin (think about nearly as hard as a golf ball) Aluminum there too, very harsh though. A full set for replacing every rubber part on your car will be about 300 US. Not bad at all, my set is on the way :D

Talk to Suspensiontech about what they can make for you. Or Autolign. I'm pretty sure that both do custom bushes. Susp tech did the valving on my Bilsteins. Chris is a mate of Keith Hartley (aka SUSPENSION - H&R forum Sponsor).

David - the site uses frames - you need to get the url for the frame, not the parent page - frames are FTL on modern web pages.

Cheers Graham, autlign are one of our suppliers at work so that should be mint ill send my bushes upto their workshop if need be.

http://www.akgmotorsport.com/e30products.html

Go about 1/3 down the page to see the bushings you need. These are the best, used and recommended by anyone wanting a road legal race car (or race car), $130 USD for subframe and trailing arms in 75D delrin (think about nearly as hard as a golf ball) Aluminum there too, very harsh though. A full set for replacing every rubber part on your car will be about 300 US. Not bad at all, my set is on the way :D

Yea those prices are all real good but im sure I can do it cheaper than that through autolign or doing custom solid alloy mounts like naughty bmw. Thanks for the links guys have seen them all before and atleast I know what options are available now :D

PS. front E36 Hubs are on with offset bushes and look at my castor :(

Posted Image

Im thinking of fabricating my own adjustable front lower control arms to allow castor adjustment, got the people and know how... just a matter of wether i can get them certified or not. Anyone know why the offset bushes didnt fix the castor?

You need offset bushes + E36 EVO control arms.

Its not a caster problem its a problem with the stub axle location.

You need offset bushes + E36 EVO control arms.

Its not a caster problem its a problem with the stub axle location.

Ok so ive got the offset bushes just need the E36 EVO control arms.. are they the MSport arms? I might wait till ive put my coilovers in first and then see how it all sits and take it from there.

If you have got the people why dont you get them to turn up some rear sub frame bushes for you like the delrin being sold -

Delrin is just an engineering plastic and you can buy a 70mm diameter rod of it and make your own. Plastics like delrin which is a trade name and Acetyl whict is a type have hardnesses of 75 plus - cast Urethane is 50 to 65 Dd so softer

Some OE M3 modified rubber bushes are 75 d

PS that front geometry looks seriously wrong

Yea I might press the OE E36 standard ones out and see what some of the boys can machine up for me. Whoa so some of the M3 ones are fairly hard!

Haha yea gotta do something about that.. have now got the correct 9" rims on the front now they clear the guard much better but still touch, got my BC Coilovers today so ill bring the height up slightly and do some guard work then just need to address the castor issue.

Thanks guys

Ok so ive got the offset bushes just need the E36 EVO control arms.. are they the MSport arms? I might wait till ive put my coilovers in first and then see how it all sits and take it from there.

MSport arms? As tony said you need the E36 M3 Evo arms, these arms have extra castor built into them and are different to all other e36/e30 arms.

ROger that - '96-'99 M3 control arms plus offset bushes almost gets the wheels where they belong.

MSport arms? As tony said you need the E36 M3 Evo arms, these arms have extra castor built into them and are different to all other e36/e30 arms.

Ahh my bad i should have said M3 arms.. hopefully I can find some here in NZ. Thanks guys for the help.

Just saw this...

Seen the sig and thought huh?! new wheels :)

Liking it..

Just saw this...

Seen the sig and thought huh?! new wheels :)

Liking it..

Hah thanks Chris! Just need to make them fit properly now.. cant even steer lol help if i had springs in it aye. Will put coilovers in this week and gotta put the 5 stud on the rear still.

Car is looking Pimp Luke, get that castor sorted and you'l be all set to tear it up