Sign in to follow this  
Guest Simon*

Business RDS OEM Headunit has "died"

Guest Simon*

That's right, hit the power button before and nothing.

'94 E34 factory headunit connected to 6 disc stacker. Like this:

Posted Image

Anyone have any bright ideas? Are they prone to just failing or how could I troubleshoot it to see what's going on?

On another note the bloody seat just decided to go twisty on me so that's coming out too! Must be ANZAC Cruise-itis!

Don't know if there are any such places up your way, but here in Chch we have this place: Wavetech

They service headunits etc... took an old headunit of mine in when various buttons failed on it.

Guest Simon*

Hmmm I'm loathe to spend any money on it as I may as well chuck ipod control in at same time.

Might have to pull it out after the weekend and tinker

If the heater fan doesnt work as well check systems voltage at the violet (accessory) wires on the ignition switch. Failing that check systems voltage on the supply at the back of the unit. If you have systems voltage there it'll be the unit. I think its fuse 41 in the fuse box. Check voltage on both sides of the fuse. Use a multimeter not a test light

Edited by *Glenn*

Guest Simon*

Thanks Glenn will investigate after work.

On a positive note, just fixed driver's seat in lunchbreak and reseated all connections under it and woohoo! Thigh support and auto dipping reversing mirror now working. :)

Thanks Glenn will investigate after work.

On a positive note, just fixed driver's seat in lunchbreak and reseated all connections under it and woohoo! Thigh support and auto dipping reversing mirror now working. :)

I'm not quite sure the fuse number is right though. Just check your fuse allication chart

Guest Simon*

Yeah there's a list inside the box and I've got service manual too. Cheers Glenn

That's right, hit the power button before and nothing.

Anyone have any bright ideas? Are they prone to just failing or how could I troubleshoot it to see what's going on?

On another note the bloody seat just decided to go twisty on me so that's coming out too! Must be ANZAC Cruise-itis!

After checing the obvious - does it have power at the radio connector and is the fuse OK - the next thing to check is the power regulator chip

It's bolted to the chassis / heatsink of the radio

You can google a datasheet and then check the output voltages. Likely it has failled.

I have a spare unit from my e36 which is the same as yours, pm me if you like