Sign in to follow this  
Apex

Rear seat back removal

Im having my front seat recovered next week and thought while I was there id have the upholsterer fit rear head rests and he has asked me to remove the rear seat backs and drop them in.

Howe’s it done?

I could go and figure it out but I thought I would ask here first as when removing other pieces of trim from the car I have found there are tricks and methods to doing so due to the flush hidden nature of fixings and don’t want to damage anything.

Thanks

I'll tell you how for sedan/coupe and you can see if its the same for touring.

Remove the seat cushion by popping it off the clips at the front and lifting out (clips are very robust so don't worry about breaking them).

Look down on either side of the seat back and under a small flap is a 10mm nut holding the bottom of the seat back to the car.

Pull the bottom of the seat back slightly toward you then push it up firmly to lift it off its retaining tabs (once again these are fairly robust)

Hopefully tourings don't have anything else the coupes/sedans don't have in this regard.

Thank you.

Yea it’s completely different, they are 50/50 split fold and BMW have done a beautiful job of concealing where the seat backs are mounted. Im guessing I will have to remove the side bolster pods again, it’s a dreaded job to re-fit them is all.

I saw a how too on fitting rear head rests a year or so back and can’t find it anymore.

Where are you getting them done? thinking about getting mine done and also need to get all the interior pannels put back in as last owner made a bit of a mess of things.

I did this a few weeks ago to fit my rear head rest.

You just need to grab the sides & pull it.

here's the link - http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.p..._Rear_Headrests

getting them done in leather Graham?

no leather for me just a recover of the worn out driver's seat .

thanks for the link might just do it myself .

i got all the bits bar the guide from a wreck

i think it makes it easier without it as the headrest slides out a lot easier when you want to fold down the seats - which i do a lot <_<

i got all the bits bar the guide from a wreck

i think it makes it easier without it as the headrest slides out a lot easier when you want to fold down the seats - which i do a lot <_<

Used the guide but not the clips that sit in the top of them that stop the rests from coming completely out, this way I can fully remove the rests when needed but still have them solid. I also have a set of rear rests at the trimmer so I'll check if they are designed to be fully removed and use them.

Thanks for that link once again, real life saver.