Sign in to follow this  
Kaz

Available jobs?

Hey everyone,

Sorry if this isn't aloud but it says "Anything Goes" so figured I would try.

I was just wondering if anyone has or knows of any part or full jobs available at the moment, either around the Franklin/Pukekohe area or around Central Auckland.

I have been looking for a job pretty much since I finished my Diploma of Interactive Design in December. My diploma was to do with Flash, Photoshop and Websites etc, but I'm looking for almost anything.

Before someone asks, yes I have tried Seek and TradeMe jobs etc but I haven't had any luck.

I have a CV and website online if needed.

Please help me find a job! :P

You could Join the Military,

I don't really wanna move away from Auckland.

link to said website could be a start...

I was just saying that incase someone is actually interested in examples of my work or like an online CV with all my contact details, which I don't particularly want to just hand out to everyone. I can PM the link to people that are actually interested and in that kind of work.

But seriously, military would be fuggin awesome. Great experience and all your costs are covered, plus they pay for additional study if you want to do it. By the time this slump in the economy comes right again, you'll be ready to move on

Im qualified in that industry..

All there is to go on for your 'talent' is your sig pic.. Which is not very 'arty' as such..

Some examples of your work would not be astray just to give people an idea of your style.

Just thinking it might fetch some interest. You wont go far in the industry unless you can sell yourself via your work.

Just a suggestion.

Cheers

Chris

P.S

Im sure others in the industry like Ollie, Andrew, Shelley could agree?

Edited by KSMYRS

The military has got job security, you get some more quals, decent wages, cheap housing, cheap liqour, free gym, free medical, free dental. The list goes on and on.

nowdays they are big on the territorials (Part time), so you can do both. get paid to play army and when you want to :D

Ill post the links up later.

I was just looking for anything at the moment, didn't think there would be many people in Flash Design here, but good to see there is.

The sig was just a pic to show of my plate :P.

The army isn't really my thing though. I thought you had to go away for certain periods of time? At least thats what a friend of mine had to do. I couldn't stand being away from my GF very long.

Just a 16 week AARC course at the start, then depending on your chosen trade or whatever you could be on base the rest of your time there

Go back to Uni, perfect time to be a student really. Knowledge is power, even if it's a Arts degree...

hahaha, only just though.

Yeah well I'm thinking that. Although I already have a massive student loan so not very keen to make it any bigger.

There was talk about our marketing department needing a lacky as there is a lot of proposal work going out at the moment...

I would need a cv and more work to look at before i would concider putting it forward... Sorry to sound negitive, but i don't recommend people i don't know for jobs unless they really impress me, as it's my name that gets tarnished if they are crap.

I'll upload my CV now.

Im very keep to get into this sort of business in the future to, what would you all recommend i do at Uni next year and which Uni?

My two options are:

Broadcasting Journalism

Or almost like print media and design as many of my peers, family friends and teachers have said i have a natural flare when it comes to design and it would be a waste to not use this skill.

Any tips would be great

Cheers Brook

Uni is something I would recomend, espically something with management / business papers also in it.

Start doing work now, you will need to build up a portfolio of work for people to look at, in your portfolio you will want it to be varried so as not to come across one sided. Varied in style not just content this will show you can work with different clients requirements.

You could start by making a fake company, design their logo, letterhead, some mock signage, website (either storyboard or make it working). Talk to friends that want/need work done, family friends that own or work for small company that couldn't/wouldn't normally get graphic design work done, and do it either for free or a small minimal charge. They will talk to others and you might get some part-time work from thAt as they talk to others.

My gf is a graphic designer for the company I work for, she did a natcol 1 yr course but sometimes thinks she's missed out on things by not doing the full uni degree. She started getting into webdesign and made a site for a car club and a friends massage company, those have provided her with anouther 5 websites - 2 of which were cafe's and she did the whole shebang for them... Menu layout/design, logo, image design, etc... She also helps out my dads company doing the really boring side of corperate design, report and proposal layout. It doesn't take her long but is boring and uninteresting to most designers, but that's where the client decides if they like the feel of your company and if you get the work or not... Very important. Again if you know people with a small business you could offer them this as a service for you protfolio...

Others will no doubt have other this to say.

Thanks for the advice :)

Yer this year i have slowly been creating a portfolio for myself, and promoting myself wherever i can. For instance i offered to design the ball tickets for my own school and dio, and because of previous work the ball committees have seen of myn they have given me the go ahead. Also i have been entering competitions where design is needed such as the dio school production poster and tickets which i won, and am now doing my schools because of this. And then there is my school projects such as my magazine and IT assessment where we more or less have to market for a company, myn being DSE powerhouse. Gained excellence in both IT and Media. So im trying to grab every design opportunity i can and slowly i am gaining a name and reputation for myself :)

But its like not enough? Too small. I want to go big but not sure how. I think i have the skill and talent its just waiting for the big opportunity to come along i guess? Not sure really?

d

Not sure

Some of my work,

Havent started on ball ticket yet

post-3878-1240914985_thumb.jpg

post-3878-1240915020_thumb.jpg

post-3878-1240915074_thumb.jpg

Uni is something I would recomend, espically something with management / business papers also in it.

Start doing work now, you will need to build up a portfolio of work for people to look at, in your portfolio you will want it to be varried so as not to come across one sided. Varied in style not just content this will show you can work with different clients requirements.

You could start by making a fake company, design their logo, letterhead, some mock signage, website (either storyboard or make it working). Talk to friends that want/need work done, family friends that own or work for small company that couldn't/wouldn't normally get graphic design work done, and do it either for free or a small minimal charge. They will talk to others and you might get some part-time work from thAt as they talk to others.

My gf is a graphic designer for the company I work for, she did a natcol 1 yr course but sometimes thinks she's missed out on things by not doing the full uni degree. She started getting into webdesign and made a site for a car club and a friends massage company, those have provided her with anouther 5 websites - 2 of which were cafe's and she did the whole shebang for them... Menu layout/design, logo, image design, etc... She also helps out my dads company doing the really boring side of corperate design, report and proposal layout. It doesn't take her long but is boring and uninteresting to most designers, but that's where the client decides if they like the feel of your company and if you get the work or not... Very important. Again if you know people with a small business you could offer them this as a service for you protfolio...

Others will no doubt have other things to say.

This was posted 3 times for a reason... it's very sound adivice :)!

I too am in the industry and as mentioned above, you just have to build on that portfolio. End of the day, it's your work that is going to do all the talking.

Although my primary role is software usability (UX Designer), I have done plenty of graphic, print and web design.

In fact, I still do due to the nature and relatively small size of our company.

For me, it all started by working for family and friends (for free), then odd jobs at uni through sjs (student job search) where small businesses needed work done (for cheap) and slowly but surely progressed into big name clients until I finally finished my degree, had a great portfolio and landed my dream job.

In other words, get out there and work for free if you have to... build a decent portfolio and soon enough finding a job will be dead easy.

GL! :)

what degree shall i do?

Some of my work,

Havent started on ball ticket yet

Nice work man, really love the magazine spread you did there :)

Nice work man, really love the magazine spread you did there :)

Thanks, just want to step it up aye. Im only 17 so have heaps more potential i think?

You can sit back and wait for the big thing, you need to do whAt your doing and being pro-active. You could contact design firms and offer your services for free as it will get you in industry experance, you will learn stuff, they get a free resource, and it's a foot in the door - should they like your work enough they might take you on as an apprentase and part pay your uni fees. I know a lot off campanys that do the for other industries.

Just remember there are alot of designers and people that think they are designers out there, your gong to need to prove you deserve the shot above the next guy espically in the current Eco times.

You could offer to work on the bmw car club mag (I'm assuming they have one???) - maybe talk to Ollie and the bimmersport heads and talk to them about starting one up, even if it's only an electronic media (PDF) that you email to members for now and it expands to print later. It could be a foot in door for layout design for mag/flyers/catologs...

Have a look out for local dance parties/nightclubs as they sometimes run design comps for upcoming gig flyers. I know fu bar in Auckland did ages ago.

Get a website up, even if it's very basic that you can display your work on. Make upsome business cards with your website on them, you never know when your going to meet someone who you could help or work for.

Thats awesome advice, thanks heaps aye ill take it all on board :) Yer i guess your right about how there are heaps of designers and all of them think that they are the best along with their work. So its hard, what i might think is good, someone else might not like at all. But i need to have that x factor, and offer something more.

I think it all comes down to originality i guess and creativity. Something new that no ones seen, something different. Ill just keep doing what im doing in the mean time really and see where that takes me. Most likely will move up to Auckland next year to do Uni, what you reckon?