Sign in to follow this  
Kaz

Available jobs?

Alright people, lets get this thread back on topic for Kaz eh.

If you want to have a chat take it to PM.

Edited by Penry

Im qualified in that industry..

All there is to go on for your 'talent' is your sig pic.. Which is not very 'arty' as such..

Some examples of your work would not be astray just to give people an idea of your style.

Just thinking it might fetch some interest. You wont go far in the industry unless you can sell yourself via your work.

Just a suggestion.

Cheers

Chris

P.S

Im sure others in the industry like Ollie, Andrew, Shelley could agree?

I am also a qualified graphic designer in the industry.

And Chris is correct the only thing that will get you a job is your talent and ability to sell it. It doesn't really matter where you studied or for how long you studied. It is your portfolio that will get you a job.

I'm sorry to say I don't know of any jobs going, but I do know a few people looking. So you have to find your point of difference and sell it to people.

Cheers

Jamie

There are huge amounts of post grad graphic designs students looking for jobs at the moment, Ive had so many CV's and people ring me when I havent even got an ad for one!!!

Ive also seen a handful of companies crash and burn around me, I'm just lucky I don't have overheads like they do, so the amount of design jobs out there at the moment would be next to none I'd say.

Try signwriting (production and installation) then work your way back into the design room. I personally went the other way though, design to production as I got fed up working in a cube.

I have noticed a couple of sign production jobs going on the north shore.

Edited by M325is

Uni is something I would recomend, espically something with management / business papers also in it.

Start doing work now, you will need to build up a portfolio of work for people to look at, in your portfolio you will want it to be varried so as not to come across one sided. Varied in style not just content this will show you can work with different clients requirements.

You could start by making a fake company, design their logo, letterhead, some mock signage, website (either storyboard or make it working). Talk to friends that want/need work done, family friends that own or work for small company that couldn't/wouldn't normally get graphic design work done, and do it either for free or a small minimal charge. They will talk to others and you might get some part-time work from thAt as they talk to others.

My gf is a graphic designer for the company I work for, she did a natcol 1 yr course but sometimes thinks she's missed out on things by not doing the full uni degree. She started getting into webdesign and made a site for a car club and a friends massage company, those have provided her with anouther 5 websites - 2 of which were cafe's and she did the whole shebang for them... Menu layout/design, logo, image design, etc... She also helps out my dads company doing the really boring side of corperate design, report and proposal layout. It doesn't take her long but is boring and uninteresting to most designers, but that's where the client decides if they like the feel of your company and if you get the work or not... Very important. Again if you know people with a small business you could offer them this as a service for you protfolio...

Others will no doubt have other this to say.

Mine was also at Natcoll last year. It was only a year but they do go into a lot of detail and the diploma I did dealt with a lot of different things. Ranging from Flash, to video/sound, and a lot of the client side of work.

Lol at the others taking over my thread! D:

When I was at uni i started a gig guide. It was free, and delivered free to mailboxes in student areas in Dunedin. I paid my g/f to deliver, I did the graphic design and content myself, had a website, and sold advertising in it. The advertisers got a cheap deal, but were REQUIRED to include a discount coupon in the ad or offer a discount if the ad was shown. Only pubs, clubs, bottle stores, and entertainment venues were targeted. i did it in my 4th year only, and it was the brainchild of a close friend of mine who put up a larger amount of capital, and helped bolster early ad sales through a family bar, provided the printing equipment and brought his hospitality network into the equation as his input into the partnership.

In 12 months we made 600% on our financial investment. Not much of an hourly rate though, but if I'd stayed in Dunedin a second year I think I could have gotten close to living off it by the end of the year. I got offered too much money for a real job and chucked it in. Often wonder if I shouldn't have.