Sign in to follow this  
joshaucks

car alarms for bmw

I've got a uniden alarm, only got it so I didn't have to use my key in the door (so it wouldn't bend) and so i'd get a discount on my insurance (only 5% but it adds up year after year), but it also offers a little bit of protection against would be thieves.

Alarms are alarms, if someone really wants to relieve you of your car then no alarm is really going to stop them. Get something with an immobiliser and keyless entry and then you're doing better than most. So longs as it flashes a little red light and you're parked somewhere decent the deterence factor is the only thing protecting you.

I've got a top of the line uniden alarm for sale, except it doesn't have that black wiring crap that insurance company's wants. The last line of alarms are actually better than this new lineup of alarms.

one alarm only

dynatron

tims got in in one

mind you clifford is the shizzle to, not many suppliers though. very nice systems....

one alarm only

dynatron

Agreed. Forget Uniden (IMHO). Dynatron only.
Can you explain your reasoning behind why you'd forget uniden???

I should point out that there's no point spending mega bucks on a car worth mini bucks.

I should also point out again that alarms are only a deterrent, not a prevention. No alarm will ever stop a determined theif.

it could do if your alarm was a rottweiler

but who wants to go to great lengths to steal an e30? most likely steal stereo sh*t and poss wheels...but in all honesty what the hell would they do with a full car?

one alarm only

dynatron

Agreed. Forget Uniden (IMHO). Dynatron only.
Can you explain your reasoning behind why you'd forget uniden???

I should point out that there's no point spending mega bucks on a car worth mini bucks.

I should also point out again that alarms are only a deterrent, not a prevention. No alarm will ever stop a determined theif.

I agree with Carl, as my car is not worth a hell of a lot, I just bought the cheapest alarm I could (it is a Uniden). My main requirements for an alarm for the E30 were:

1) Stickers in the window that say it has an alarm

2) A red flashing LED when the alarm is on

3) Remote locking and unlocking.

My cheap as dirt Uniden satisfies all of these criteria

However on the Jeep we have a very fancy Alpine alarm that includes dual stage microwave sensors (for when the roof is off) and a dual stage knock sensor (a warning stage if someone is too close to it, and then the full siren if the Jeep is touched). Mainly because the Jeep is worth 5 times what my E30 is.

I have heard AVS are also good. Anyone heard otherwise??

I have been looking at Dynatron myself. At around $600 installed for the one with the backup battery, or $500 without, it is a 5-star alarm, (4-star without backup battery) and gives me 10% discount off my insurance.

Even a $4000 odd car could benefit from this expense as quite often you dont' pay excess for theft if you have an approved alarm (depending on your insurer). Therefore the alarm pays for itself the first time your car is either stolen, or your stereo pinched.

The price here is quite good when compared to a comparable uniden - $300 plus installation at DSE. You can expect to pay around $150 - $250 for professional installation, so at best you save $150 by going the Uniden over the Dynatron, and at worst only $50.

Aslo, think about this:

The alarm listed on trademe is not a known brand. My rule of thumb is, if you can't find a website, or physical address for a product on trademe, then it is obscure, and is unlikely to be very good. if it was good, then it would be well known.

Secondly - factor in installation costs. Unless you have installed alarms before, you will not be able to do the job properly. Also, it may not qualify for your insurance.

Finally, if it sounds like a steal (i.e. too good to be true), then it probably is.

My mate bought (against my advice) an alarm off trademe that was not a reputed brand. it had all the mod-cons with a pager system, LCD screen on the remote, and engine start, but it was a heap of crap. No-one would install it for him as his car was a manual, and it is illegal to put remote start alarms in a manual transmission vehicle. Second, the alarm looked to be a good deal until he found out how much to install it (without the engine start feature activated). He also then found out that the nearest installer willing to do the job was a 4hr drive away. Finally, even installed, etc it did not qualify him for insurance discounts as it was not an approved alarm. He spent about $500 in the end, and for the same money he could have got a dynatron installed and saved himself two trips to Auckland at about $80 worth of gas each time.

Go to your local alarm installer and buy one off them. Save yourself the headache.

Guest Spargo

I've got a Mongoose.

Not too sensitive, sensors for all entries (alarm goes off if i leave the sunroof open)

I'd give it :thumb: :thumb:

I was a sales rep for an Auto Electrical company, we sold steelmate alarms, they are good for a basic alarm, but all you need to do to get around the alarm is disconnect one plug and cut a wire.

I would suggest getting a Mongoose alarm, either the Mongoose M60G (details on link below)

http://www.mongoose.co.nz/Products/m60g/m60g.html

Or the top of the line m80G;

http://www.mongoose.co.nz/Products/m80g/m80g.html

Or the basic Mx40B which is a 4 star alarm and is approved and has the following;

Certified to AS/NZS4601 1999 immobiliser standard. Remote dual immobiliser with siren and shock sensor (or alternatively a glass break sensor).NZSA 4 Star.add a battery back up siren to make it NZSA 4 starand then NZSA 5 Starwith the addition of a microwave or ultrasonic sensor.

For a really good price call CARLINE on 0800 CARLINE. They are really good and offer a mobile service, so they come to you anywhere in Auckland.

Guest Spargo

Also, as a v. basic deterent, so some part time installer doesnt pinch your car because he installs the same alarm you have, run different stickers to the alarm you actually have.

I'd also suggest:

multiple earth points

a prominent handbrake / gearknob / wheel lock

secondary alarm battery

more than one kill switch

Toad securi-film on the windows

a tracker (overkill?)

Shielded siren (so they can't spray foam into it and kill it

Solex locks

bonnet / boot open alarm

The M3 has a uniden in it which has caused me nothing but trouble. As soon as I'm back in NZ it is being replaced by the top of the line Dynatron. Why? Because the Isuzu has a Dynatron in it, and it has been nothing but perfect.

I agree with your alarm cost v. car price cost / benefit approach.

I guess the question is - why do you want an alarm in your car? The general feel is that it will not stop the car getting stolen (within reason) so we must consider that it is either to get cheaper insurance or to act as a keyless entry.

Following CiLK's post - in NYC now, alarms are TOTALLY ignored. To stop (ok lessen the chance) of your car being stolen you need "hard" protection such as steering wheel / shifter locks.

J

well basically im mostly after the remote start aspect of it, i realise alarms dont really do much if the thief wants to break it but it can be a bit of a detterent (sp) and for like 150 it seems like a good deal? 100-130 to be installed which is all good. i was just wondering if the steel mate types would be compatible with bmw?

well basically im mostly after the remote start aspect of it, i realise alarms dont really do much if the thief wants to break it but it can be a bit of a detterent (sp) and for like 150 it seems like a good deal? 100-130 to be installed which is all good. i was just wondering if the steel mate types would be compatible with bmw?

I thought remote start were illegal now .. ?

Thought about what would happen if ya got caught ?

no warrant?? would not be noticeable when pulled over

anyone know if the actual alarm will be compatible?

Umm .. i don't think there is such a thing as compatibility issues with alarms .... i'm pretty sure about that anyway ..

I thought remote start were illegal now .. ?

Thought about what would happen if ya got caught ?

i think is more like when the car starts in gear and kills a person then you will get done. i think no body will care up untill somthing happens

you will prop get done for manslaughter(sp) or

causing death with a weapon.

Guest Spargo

That point is moot in a manual, the car wont start in gear, the engine wouldnt turn, but for autos, sure, but they often don't start unless in park.

That point is moot in a manual, the car wont start in gear, the engine wouldnt turn, but for autos, sure, but they often don't start unless in park.

but it will lunge, causing damage / hazards. and is still dangerous. sh*t i mean people die in puddles, so they could for example get hit by the car as it lunges fall and smack their head on some sh*t and, 'game over' - "fatality"

then you get the gift of a wide a**hole, courtesy of bubba.