Sign in to follow this  
darkwolf

Cloud Anti-Virus

First the links:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Panda-Ant...urity,7682.html

http://www.cloudantivirus.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing

I've just installed this at home. I think the theory behind it is brilliant. I'm not so sure about the long term outcome, but it looks promising.

Basically, or as I understand it, the software allows a user to form part of a global computer community. This community shares all the information they have about malware (viruses, bots, rootkits etc). When a possible new threat is identified, the code responsible is sent to the cloud to be classsified eventually as either malware or goodware. This information is then sent to each node connected to the cloud to allow them to identify this code if it appears in their system.

This is important because malware that is created today isn't designed to infect and spread like it was back in the days of the infamous blaster worm. Instead, it is designed to go undetected and the best way to do this is to ensure that they only infect a few nodes at a time. Because of this there is malware out there that can go undetected for months as it just picks the right nodes to attack. What this new type of anti-virus is designed to do, is recognise behavioural patterns in the programs to allow the program to then be analysed and identified. So as new malware is produced the 'Collective Intelligence' as they call it are able to identify and immunise the cloud almost instantly.

For those of you who are star trek fans, you can liken this to Borg. In that when one encounters something new, they all encounter that new thing. Thus they can deal with it in an appropriate manner, easier. This new anti-virus is based around the same principles.

The software is developed by a company called Panda Anti-virus. And to be honest it looks a little weak having a panda face in your system tray, but running a scan last night, the software found 21 infections (I can't remember what it calls it now) and I've run AVG for years, the last scan would have been done at lunchtime yesterday.

The best part is that for the time being at least - it's FREE. Which made me wary of it but from it is from a reputable company, some I haven't worried too much.

I'll let everyone know about how things go with it as I use it a bit more but for the time being I can't see any problems.

Sounds promising let us know how it goes.

as far as the way it works, i'm pretty sure all the other anti virus software works in the same way

Isn't this the point of daily virus definition updates??

I use Avast as it is free, easier to use than avg, not as in your face as avg, less processor intensive than avg, and more effective than avg.

My understanding is also thats how normal av is meant to work

I've been using Avira AntiVir (http://www.free-av.com/) on my friends pc's as a free anti-virus software and it's been trouble free and has picked up and stopped a few virus's on those that download alot of crap.

Really not a fan of AVG - didn't pick-up a bunch of virus's on a workmates old hdd that i looked at for him.

Edited by DRTDVL

Was looking foward to having a Panda on my system tray,

But cbf uninstalling old AV etc.

BitDefender PWNs all.

I think most of you are missing the point. Its live rather than periodical. With current anti virus methods it can take hours or days to respond to a new threat and that's only to those that have been reported. Whereas with this method, any possibly malicious behaviour is tested and identified, those that are connected will be automagically made aware of the fact that there is a new threat out there - if one is found. Effectively, the cloud is capable of responding as fast or even faster maybe than the code can spread. That's the theory.

And as for bit defender, you may as well just turn it off. It'll do the same thing and use less resources.

Edited by DarkWolf

Essentially in a cloud based environment there's no centralized infrastructure, every node (or PC running the software) is part of the 'collective', essentially one large supercomputer. I guess the reason for them saying sh*t is detected faster than other products is because all clients are working together and collectively communicating all the information being worked on.

At the end of the day use what works for you :)

That wiki on it is hardcore haha :P

Edited by Antallica

This would only be effective if the pc it was hosted on was constantly poling the servers\nodes\etc for an update. I know it wouldn't use much bandwidth but in the same effect depending how you have your av setup it could do the same thing. In effect it works like a corperate av setup

Edited by DRTDVL

Had a further read, you must be connected to the net when scanning your PC so it looks like the 'collective' is involved during the scan, there are no updates that you have to install as it's all done in Real-Time.

Mind you, don't look at dodgy sh*t and you won't even need antivirus ;)

And as for bit defender, you may as well just turn it off. It'll do the same thing and use less resources.

Pretty sure BitDefender monitors in real-time aswell sir.

But then how do you tell your parents?

Seriously though, I can't stand networking on a MAC, everything is so locked down, you can't even change the subnet mask.

Also I never questioned whether Bit Defender uses resources in real time, just that it may as well be turned off for all the protection it actually provides. Though this is only based on the amount of times I've had to fix my brother's and my flatmates laptops when they had it installed. In its defence, it did tell me that the virus was there, just refused to prevent it from doing anything or attempt to remove it.

As for not looking at dodgy stuff - hence no need for an AV. I've been caught out by that before. Back in the days of my T-bird. I was never connected to the net, so didn't think I needed it. Until I installed a copy of some software to do an assignment and found that a virus had happily piggy backed itself to the installation file. I now use anti-virus regardless of the fact that my main rig usually never goes on the net anyway.

Edited by DarkWolf

Really? I find it a lot easier. Its all in the control panel.

If you do want a fantastic antivirus that you dont mind paying for, I recommend Nod32. Those that have a Telecom connection can download a FULL version of Mcaffe here: http://telecom.co.nz/security and it wont cost you AND Telecom support it if you need any help.

Otherwise for others, never had trouble with AVG

Is possible for people to hack the "cloud" and tell it incorrect information?

Of course. Someone can hack anything on the internet if they have the time and resources. Anything

i gave this panda cloud a go, so far i'm pretty impressed. I am a sucker for a nice gui though and i like pandas and clouds

i gave this panda cloud a go, so far i'm pretty impressed. I am a sucker for a nice gui though and i like pandas and clouds

Yeah, four buttons to press and a clean GUI wins every time :)

If its Panda I wouldn't touch it. Panda are well known for taking over your computer with their stuff.

I am using Comodo Internet Security at the moment. Its an antivirus and firewall all in one AND its free.

Best antivirus is Nod32 if you can afford it

Nod32:

And its developed here in NZ. GO hard!

Haha is this turning into a who's got the bigger antivirus? Everyone knows Dr. Web kicks all your asses :D

Anyway, hope to hear some positive results soon from people testing it on here. I'll continue to use it on a test PC @ my work and see if I can find a few nasties to throw at it.