Sign in to follow this  
m325i

Oil Light

My oil light came on, check oil, a little bit low, topped it up, light went off.

Then light came on again, (flickering), oil level is fine, no leaks. I am hoping it is electrical, but does the oil lighht mean anything but low levels?

Is it the oil light in the check panel (in the roof) or the on in the dash?

If it the roof one, then it does only mean low level of oil (if you have topped it up, then I'd say your sensor was stuffed).

If it is the oil light in the dash, then that means low oil pressure. You will want to get that looked at by a mechanic.

Cheers

If it is the oil light in the dash, then that means low oil pressure. You will want to get that looked at by a mechanic.

QUICKLY

QUICKLY

i.e. before you drive it anywhere.

Reminds me of several stories of people driving their car with the oil light on to the mechanics and never actually making it.

Oh, and the woman who asked a petrol station attendant what the light meant. he told her, checked the oil, and put about 2 1/2 litres in.

She then drove along to the next gas station, and the light was on a gain, so she copied the attendant and put another 2 litres in.

At the fourth gas station, the attendent there noticed she hadn't checked the dipstick before adding oil, so talked to her and got the full story, and thought - crikey! major leak here, or no oil pressure, so checked the dipstick. it was WAY over the top mark. Told her to go and see the mechnic on site. She drove accross the forecourt and never made it. Turned out that she had WAY over filled it, and caused major engine damage driving accross the forecourt. What happened?

The first attendant correctly diagnosed the oil light. The women then forgot to release her handbrake properly and mistook the handbrake light for the oil light, and just kept topping her car up!

Sorry - O/T I know.

She drove accross the forecourt and never made it. Turned out that she had WAY over filled it, and caused major engine damage driving accross the forecourt. What happened?

The engine had so much oil in it that as the piston came down in to the crankcase it could not displace the oil,and as you cant compress a liquid something else had to give.....

My oil light came on, check oil, a little bit low, topped it up, light went off.

Then light came on again, (flickering), oil level is fine, no leaks. I am hoping it is electrical, but does the oil lighht mean anything but low levels?

quite common for the oil pressure switch to fail ( check for leaks around it at top of engine at back left hand side).

easy to change .

The engine had so much oil in it that as the piston came down in to the crankcase it could not displace the oil,and as you cant compress a liquid something else had to give.....

It was a rhetorical question :D

When to BMWorkshop to see what the light was on for. It was looking all bad as the sensor in it was quite new. But replaced it and its sweet now. Man im so relieved!

When to BMWorkshop to see what the light was on for. It was looking all bad as the sensor in it was quite new. But replaced it and its sweet now. Man im so relieved!

Good stuff, that must be a huge relief. It is good when a potentially big (and expensive) problem turns out to be a really minor issue.

Cheers