Sign in to follow this  
Mike.Gayner

Heater stuck on

Yesterday I was using the heater in my car as usual, and when I pulled into the driveway I switched it off, but it didn't switch off. What appears to be happening is that the fan stays on but all the vents close, so the air is forced through a small gap in the windscreen vent, creating quite a loud, high pitched (almost whistling) noise. Otherwise the heater/AC is working fien - the fan and temperature variables are working in good order.

Is this is known issue? Anyone know a simple fix? Thanks.

Attached is a picture of the same heater that's in my car.

post-4082-1241630757_thumb.jpg

The heater fan resistor block that controls fan speeds is probably faulty.... do all the fan speeds work ?

When you turn the heater off....what fan speed does is sound like its on...high speed ???

Guest Simon*

I had the same problem with my E34 Mike. Had to pull the fuse in the end to get the thing to stop.

It was the heater fan resistor like Glenn said, mine was the "sword" type. Just replaced it and problem solved. There are lots of DIY guides on the net, it is a very common failing of the E34 unfortunately

Thanks guys. Glen - it sounds like it's on very high speed, but I'm pretty sure it's actually on the lowest speed setting, but forcing air through closed vents, hence the noise.

Thanks guys. Glen - it sounds like it's on very high speed, but I'm pretty sure it's actually on the lowest speed setting, but forcing air through closed vents, hence the noise.

Then it is the resistor block thats faulty. It will also flatten your battery

i have those to.

brenta1@clear.net.nz

I'm having trouble locating the right part on Realoem - can someone please advise me of the part number I need? Thanks.

Guest Simon*

I didn't pay that much! That's Euros too - pretty scary

Try the parts people, Euro-Italian, BM Warehouse, etc and Ray (HellBM) and Brent above too

Guest Simon*

Posted Image

This type?

I know this site, use it a lot actually. I thought because I have a late '94 build E34 that I would have the small block type resistor too but I was wrong. I had the "sword" as per below.

Posted Image

The only way to be sure is to check I guess

Have both in stock..

Thanks, I'll have a look tonight when I get home. Just had a play with the car in my lunch break, and the symptoms are unfortunately deteriorating. The fan speed control now doesn't work at all, giving about 75% air volume over the whole scale, except for the top detent which increases air flow to 100%. Turning the heater/AC off now leaves the fan blowing at about 75%, with the vents closed casuing the loud whistling noise.

If it makes any difference, the chassis number on my car is GF21213. Thanks.

edit: Phoned Coombes Johnston, they want over $1,000 for the "sword". Ridiculous.

Edited by Mike.Gayner

Thanks, I'll have a look tonight when I get home. Just had a play with the car in my lunch break, and the symptoms are unfortunately deteriorating. The fan speed control now doesn't work at all, giving about 75% air volume over the whole scale, except for the top detent which increases air flow to 100%. Turning the heater/AC off now leaves the fan blowing at about 75%, with the vents closed casuing the loud whistling noise.

If it makes any difference, the chassis number on my car is GF21213. Thanks.

normally the resitor block type is used on heater dials like this one

which have 4 speeds .

as aposed to the variable type speed ones

post-279-1241650801_thumb.jpg

By chassis number BMW are telling me there is only one type for your car... its $137 + Gst retail New

Edited by *Glenn*

Now I'm very confused :unsure: I'll look at it tonight if I get a chance, though it's looking like another late night in the office :(

Have both in stock..

How much is a sword? (mine has failed too)

Confirmed my car has a sword type resistor - interestingly on a short trip to replace the T20 wrench I lost, the heather started working correctly again, albeit with a strong burning smell. The smell leads me to believe that a failing sword is a potential fire hazard, so it's worth replacing as soon as possible.

How much is a sword? (mine has failed too)

Confirmed my car has a sword type resistor - interestingly on a short trip to replace the T20 wrench I lost, the heather started working correctly again, albeit with a strong burning smell. The smell leads me to believe that a failing sword is a potential fire hazard, so it's worth replacing as soon as possible.

yes have couple in stock .

brenta1@clear.net.nz