Sign in to follow this  
86SXCE30

e30 manual conversion

Okay so i have an auto e30 and it only drives in reverse at the moment but i dont want to fix that i want to convert it to manual, i have a whole parts car that is manual so ive got all the parts but i need to find someone to do it.. anyone have any ideas? im in christchurch and i dont want to spend much money on taking it to a mechanic...

please help..

Sarah.

You might find someone on here willing to come give you a hand, but more than likely you would have to make a start yourself, or bite the bullet and pay a mechanic.

If you lived close to me I'd do it, but I'd expect to be paid, have you helping and willing to learn, and have a ready supply of beers on tap.

There maybe someone in Christchurch willing to help under similar circumstances.

Good luck!

Guest FrantiC

You would expect to pay something like $1000-2000 for a shop to do it.

For someone who is done it to an e30 before, It could easily be done in a day if all parts are there. I would recommend you replace slave and master cylinders for the clutch, and get a new clutch kit while your there and hopefully someone can help you out down there for a little cash or something..

If you lived close to me I'd do it, but I'd expect to be paid, have you helping and willing to learn, and have a ready supply of beers on tap.

There maybe someone in Christchurch willing to help under similar circumstances.

This could be me :D

I reckon I could pull it off within a weekend easy. With the above conditions :D

Guest FrantiC

This could be me :D

I reckon I could pull it off within a weekend easy. With the above conditions :D

Good C***

Haha. FWIW (Just incase you don't know..), To save yourself booting the car and cursing, To do the clutch pedal just remove the big bolt that holds the brake and clutch pedal in, And tranfer them onto the one in the auto car.. Swapping pedal boxes is a PITA! and also very unecessary as I later found out - An auto pedal box is the exact same, has the mount for master cylinder already, Just needs the longer bolt for the clutch pedal and brake pedal swapped over.

Other than that you would need a pilot bearing, Unless you have a puller.

Also I would replace the following:

Flex disc/Prop shaft mount/Gubio (gearbox output to driveshaft rubber donut thingy, Heaps of names)

Center Hanger bearing on the driveshaft - Make sure you have the correct type for the car it's going in, facelift and preF/L are different.

Master and Slave cylinders.

Clutch kit (New disc, pressure plate and TO bearing).

Probably also replace the oil in the gearbox with some Redline MTL.

That way you will do the swap and have a fresh clutch / hydraulics and driveline should be sweet!

Hells yeah I'll never forget trying to pull the Pedal box out of my old e30.... I did kick the car! And then drive the forklift forks through 5 seperate places in the body.

Good tips though!

Probably also replace the oil in the gearbox with some Redline MTL.

Negative on that one, it will run fine with MTL, but the correct fluid, is fully synthetic G3 ATF (Automatic transmission fluid) It even states it on the side of the gearbox if you still have the sticker.

Should be able to do this in half a day if there is no snags and you have everything ready to go.

Def get a new master and slave. Mine were all rusty. Also a good chance to change out the no doubt stuffed bushes for the selector. And chuck in a BMW Z3 short shifter.

Reading this again.... It sounds like someone is baiting us hahahaha :D

If you do your preparation then you can get the box in in a weekend without being stressed or rushing.

There are some baisc things that are just going to help experienced or now.

1 x new master & slave cylinder

2 x nice new clutch and pilot bearing & clutch centering tool

3 x all the correct tools, jack stands big jack, sockets extensions TORQUE WRENCH.

4 x Space to do it, and a tidy work area.

Once you have all this, ONLY THEN could you consider somebody helping you do the job.

As mentioned only swap over the pedals. you could do this even before you get whoever to help you.

you could also drain the auto box , unbolt the drive shaft & remove the exhaust shield and do the preparation stuff that isn't difficult. Even making sure its clean under there will be a big help later on when its time to remove the auto box.

All this stuff takes a fair amount of time and when you only have limited access to a experienced person

( sure beer is cheap but it still costs money & you still don't want to slow up somebody else s time with family or their own cars )

yeah Good luck with the swap & hit it at pace. I did mine and if there is one thing to remember is undo the kick down cable before you pull the auto out, mine swung round and got me really bad in the arm and nearly broke my wrist.

Also do NOT USE normal sockets on the bell housing bolts NO it wont work. Get the correct torx sockets.