Sign in to follow this  
caleb

Battery for E46

Jeff grey charges $385 + gst for a battery.

Does BMW uses 'special' battery? Can I just buy any normal battery from Repco?

Jeff grey charges $385 + gst for a battery.

Does BMW uses 'special' battery? Can I just buy any normal battery from Repco?

Ha, a battery is a battery. In almost all instances OEM batteries are just rebadged from other market brands. Just make sure it is heavy duty and anyway, everyone who you go to will know which is the right battery.

Save yourself $$$$

I have a feeling that the OEM battery is a calcium one (not lead) - which has implications on the charge rate etc. Might be worth a PM to Hotwire or Glenn to confirm if a std battery will be OK or you need a calcium one.

I can do a battery for about $250 + Gst. Ring me Monday and I'll give you a sharp deal... prices have all just gone up.

It should be a Din 65 Calcium Battery

OOOps.... I see your in Wellington ??

Could offer you a used E46 battery in perfect condition.

BMW original. No maintenance required (completely sealed). Has a color dot that shows condition of the battery (green=fully charged, black=re-charge, white=throw it in the bin).

If you are interested, PM me. Could give it away for $90.

I have a feeling that the OEM battery is a calcium one (not lead) - which has implications on the charge rate etc. Might be worth a PM to Hotwire or Glenn to confirm if a std battery will be OK or you need a calcium one.

Hey there.

You are right that it has to be a calcium/calcium battery but locally both major battery providers centuary and exzide produce a calcy/calcy battery. Both are sealed. So they are really no diff to an OEM (and lets be honest here, most OEM batteries will most prob rebadge..though not sure about BMW).

As far charge rate is concerned, it is recommened that you get the same cranking amps as that of the original and this is generally dictated by the size of the unit, i.e. that it fits the hole.

Hope that helps

I can do a battery for about $250 + Gst. Ring me Monday and I'll give you a sharp deal... prices have all just gone up.

It should be a Din 65 Calcium Battery

OOOps.... I see your in Wellington ??

would certainly buy it from you if I'm in AK... unfortunately

Was looking at the Bosch catalogue, it doesn't really tell me if I should buy BSDIN65L or BSDIN65LL

Which one should I get for 2001 E46

Was looking at the Bosch catalogue, it doesn't really tell me if I should buy BSDIN65L or BSDIN65LL

Don't quote as I am not familiar with Bosch part numbers but my guess is - probably difference between "L" & "LL" is same battery but one reverse post to the the other.

Match configuration layout to your current one.

BSDIN65L

We sell Century DIN65ZLMF which is a calcium, maintanence free battery and comes with a 3yr warranty

Try around the sparkies in Wellington for one of these

You should be able to buy it for around $230 + Gst ( just checked my pricing )

Edited by *Glenn*

BSDIN65L

We sell Century DIN65ZLMF which is a calcium, maintanence free battery and comes with a 3yr warranty

Try around the sparkies in Wellington for one of these

You should be able to buy it for around $230 + Gst ( just checked my pricing )

thank you so much

Ha, a battery is a battery. In almost all instances OEM batteries are just rebadged from other market brands.

Yeah right and a car is a car - they all (well most) have a wheel on each corner .

Short answer you get what you pay for - cheap chinese made battery will not last or work as well as a well engineered battery from a reputable manufacturer.

If yo want a cheap battery - buy one if you want a good battery it wont be cheap.

Can easily second that.

Had some pretty interesting results running a non standard battery for a year. Thanks to ray / hellbm I switched back to the OEM one and what do your know. My issues disappeared.