Sign in to follow this  
silvermace

E28 buyers guide?

Hi, i'm looking at an '86 E28 528i, import with 144,000km 1 owner for 20 yrs pretty much. Looking to buy, but dont know much about what to look out for in terms of common issues.

I know about the following problems with the M30B28

- Engine fan viscous coupling

- Valve rocker arms -> valves spacing adjustment

- Oilfilter return valve failure

- "oil spray bar" problem.

Any one know of the rust spots on the car, and anything else you can advise? I got the list above from Wikipedia article on the M30 engine.

-Danu

check for rust at top front edges of thr front doors , around under the boot lip . around corners of both screens.

2.8L engines dont give much trouble . a nice upgrade is to fit the 3.5L engine (bolts stright in)

pretty easy to sort most problems on these cars . have heaps of bits if needed.

incl a mtec body kit etc

is it a manual or auto??

grab it if its a manual .

check for rust at top front edges of thr front doors , around under the boot lip . around corners of both screens.

2.8L engines dont give much trouble . a nice upgrade is to fit the 3.5L engine (bolts stright in)

pretty easy to sort most problems on these cars . have heaps of bits if needed.

incl a mtec body kit etc

is it a manual or auto??

grab it if its a manual .

Yea its a manual, Looks to be a 5sp one from the pics, I always thought they were 4s. But yea guy just passes a Wof day before, and before that replaced clutch slave cylinder. Will see what else needs doing.

Thanks for the MyE28 resource, just found a nice list of things to check on a 535i, dont think most apply to eht 528i but good to be able to check anyways.

Looking for an E28 haynes manual if anyone has a copy they want to sell to me :) ?

Have a PDF copy of the E28 Haynes manual... will upload to this thread after work tonight.

Have a PDF copy of the E28 Haynes manual... will upload to this thread after work tonight.

Hey thanks heaps, you can email it to me if that's easier: silvermace at gmail dot com.

also, does anyone know a quick way to check the oil spray bar without removing the valve cover?

you can see the back one with the oil cap off . but maybe a little mirror and a bright torch you might be able to see . but its only a 10min job to take off and peace of mind .

if its tappy up top then pull it off.

ive got wiring diagrams etc if any needed

and what is said above sounds about right the doors have just rusted on mine, boot seals and wiring in back lights my major issues

p.s if you ever take the head off dont put the cam sprocket on wrong - look at one of my old forums makes a nice boom when i blows up.

but they are good cars and will destory jap imports literaly - done it x3 and all i have to repalce is my bumber