Sign in to follow this  
Jamez

E30 325i not heating up

So ive never been able to sort out why the Temp Gauge shows the temp at the first bar but not the middle

Engine is a 88' M20B25 in Manual, it's filled with water, which bring me to the other Q. Why does my coolant light Turn on when cold yet once it's heated if you turn the car on and off it stops blinking but will turn on later, guessing a funny ground?

and the thermostat opens and closes in boiling water. But it opens about twice as much as the racecar which has a m20b20, im pretty thats whats causing the problem but any help would be appreciated

Did you get this sorted?

I've got the same problem.

E: research says possibly the thermostat staying open? or a faulty gauge with the nut at the back come loose?

Anyone know anything about this?

Edited by antony

^^^^^^^^^^^

thermostat proved fine, and the engine is defiantly not cold, the vert in my sig had the same problem

ive tried 2 gauge clusters with no avail, so a job this weekend is to check the temp sensor itself.

will post up with my finding's

Edited by Jamez

Had similar problems with mine,replaced coolant temp sensor, temperature gauge sensor, thermostat and tried a different cluster and still didnt move past the 1\4 mark.

In the end in was the 2 pins of the temperature gauge inside the instrument cluster that weren't contacting that ground properly.

Probably is the sensors but just another idea

check earthing from head to block to chasis

My old E30 did the same and I never had any problems!.... I would only start worrying if it always stayed on the RED :unsure:

Mine was the thermostat, one of the 'arms' was broken and it was stuck open. $91 later and its all fixed.