Sign in to follow this  
APT

M20B25 conversion Auto Gearbox..

Hey guys

Currently my car is a F/L 320i Auto and i have the oppurtunity to purchase a M20b25 from a f/l e30, Would i be able to run my current auto gearbox with this engine ? or upgrade to a 325 auto gearbox? Also would it be advisable to rebuild this engine ? any suggestions of people ? Costs ?

i will be doing a manual conversion (when the bank account lets me):P, but right now im just looking at the m20b25 engine first.. One step at a time thats how it is when your in uni

Thanks

Andrew

Yes the engine will mate up to your gearbox. Expect to pay someone in the region of 1000 dollars for them to swap the engines over for you.

Also, depending on the condition of the engine you may need to have a bit of work done to it. What sort of k's has it done? I've just basically had the the entire head of my engine rebuilt (or close enough), plus belts, waterpump etc and it stung me over 3 grand.

Considering another member on here purchased a very nice 325i auto recently for about $3000 I'd say the cheapest option (unless you can do an engine swap and rebuild yourself) is to sell your car and simply buy a tidy 325i.

I have got a quote from a local mechanic about the installation of the engine $600 plus i can get the engine for pretty cheap too.. it has done about 140ks..

Thanks for the figures

You shouldn't run into any problems, the auto's are the same. $600 is a good price for an engine swap, just make sure you get him to do all the usual things for piece of mind, IE cam belt, water pump, tensioner and auxiliary belts.

Go for gold and get that manual swap sorted :D

Edit: In regards to rebuilds. How deep are your pockets? It's always advisable to rebuild a motor, there's only positives to a new fresh rebuild, but most likely your motor will be just fine without one, unless its had some serious abuse or there is something wrong.

Edited by QuickSilver

i have a nice 2.7L m20 botton end you coudl fit you head to it .

$400