Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Land Transport (Enforcement Powers) Amendment Bill

Ooooh John Rae. One man in one nice car. Show me some better stats mate and then I'll see your point.

I got more "routine inspections" when I was 15-17 than Ive had in the last 4 years of my life.

As Westy said before, same sh*t different day/month/year/decade... But then as Bravo said: (Not quite the same), now there is a Bill being considered, the ramifications to the non-boy-racer car enthusiast must be considered.

I will suck it up if I'm done for skids on a public road, or speeding, or drink driving. Or anything I'v caused upon myself. But I will not accept my car being crushed because I chose to roll down Queen street a few times, or run a German plate.

Its not as simple as don't do anything illegal and you're sweet. Its just not that simple

cops dont just pick on young guys John Rae who owns a insurance brokering was done for sustained loss of traction in his car (porsche I think ) .Also meant losing his racing licence as well. As stated if you have a full ylegal car at a gathering , nothing to worry about . Dont hear the hot rod or muscle car guys getting their knickers in a twist over it ,because they have fun legally. So all you lot grizling over getting your car crushed - suck it up ,bring on the new laws . I have had hot v8 s with huge tyres scoops "best fun at drag strip , These racer kids do it because its the illegality of it that gives them the buzz. & its not just a few .

Haha! I was waiting for this one.

John Rae got caught 'red-handed' doing a skid in a Mercedes at Ohaupo

F**k did he spit tacks when they impounded his car

He then got on TV and tried pulling the "I'm not a Boy-Racer, I'm a respectable businessman bullsh*t"

If you must do skids, don't get caught. If you do get caught, be responsible for your own actions [ don't blame others ]

For every shitty "boy racer" driver i have come across, there are countless other motorists who are far worse. I cannot ever remember a boy racer frustratingly driving at 20km under the speed limit, failing to indicate or needlessly tailgating me.

The perception is, doing a skid is far more dangerous than driving too slow/failing to indicate or do a head check before changing lanes. Which is partly why boy racers are being hammered so hard. Also because they're antisocial retards who make too much noise and break too many rules.

BUT I'd much rather see a crack down on drunk/oblivious/inattentive drivers. I fear these people much more on the roads than boy racers. I'd love to see boy racers off the road, but before that, they need to sort out our other problematic drivers.

Drink driving kills people

Speeding kills people

Stupid driving kills people

Doing a skid doesn't harm anything but the penalty is worse than the minimum for the above

Drink driving kills people

Speeding kills people

Stupid driving kills people

Doing a skid doesn't harm anything but the penalty is worse than the minimum for the above

*sigh*

All of which the 'boy racers' have been guilty of when they all get together.

Come on people....stop being so bloody sensitive about it. There is a group of people (who you may or may not be associated with) who get together to do stupid things in cars. They are generally defined as 'boy racers'.

Age doesnt come into it, wealth doesnt come into it, the car you own doesnt come into it, although its fair to say there is a stereotype and stereotypes dont usually come about by accident.

Just because some BS members fit the stereotype does not mean they are 'boy racers' but when you the 'law' I can imagine that you get results by pulling people over who fit that stereotype.

Does it make it right ? Probably not, but Im sure the argument is that if your looking for someone who does stupid things with cars, you dont start off by looking at people cruising along in their late model 'whatever' with a couple of kids in the back do you?

What good does crushing a $20,000 WRX do?

gets rid of another subaru

gets rid of another subaru

I'd really like to see what portion of "Boy Racers" actually have the $20,000+ cars

Oh i did send a lovely email to my MP about this and a few other things as i felt like it.

I'd much rather see the cars returned to stock, and used for manditory driver training in schools.. 

I was following a guy towing a trailer this morning.

You could not see his car at all because of the trailer and the stuff on it.

He did not have the trailer lights hooked up (the trailer did have lights, just not working / hooked up).

I had to leave a huge gap, because every time he braked, he would brake hard and I would have to brake even harder because I couldn't see his goddamn brake lights.

He also nearly wiped out another car when he moved from the fast lane to the slow lane (because no-one could see any indicators going either).

When he was in the fast lane, he had a clear road in front of him, yet was only doing 80kph.

This sort of driving is far more dangerous than some car with a loud exhaust.

Edited by Wom

I was following a guy towing a trailer this morning.

You could not see his car at all because of the trailer and the stuff on it.

He did not have the trailer lights hooked up (the trailer did have lights, just not working / hooked up).

I had to leave a huge gap, because every time he braked, he would brake hard and I would have to brake even harder because I couldn't see his goddamn brake lights.

He also nearly wiped out another car when he moved from the fast lane to the slow lane (because no-one could see any indicators going either).

When he was in the fast lane, he had a clear road in front of him, yet was only doing 80kph.

And there would be a good chance that he would get stopped & ticketed at some point.

He He nothing like a threat to boys fav pastime to get their backs up . Maybe they should all drive around the Beehive with their slammed & ultra loud sh*t boxes . That will get ministers attention lol.

i was told today that if the car is under another name, the police cannot do anything to it. is this true?

Nope. Those with an interest in the car (registered owner, finance company or anyone with a lien on the car) are notified that the car has been involved in an action that contravenes this law and that the car is under threat of being destroyed if it is caught again (or however many offences are left).

I can imagine that the finance company will be thrilled to get such a letter :D. It'll be interesting to see how many finance companies begin to refuse finance on modified cars or call in the loan upon receipt of the first warning letter.

Those with an interest in the car (registered owner, finance company or anyone with a lien on the car) are notified that the car has been involved in an action that contravenes this law and that the car is under threat of being destroyed if it is caught again (or however many offences are left).

It's just my opinion, but I think that is an amazing idea.

Like others have mentioned, the finance companies will not be happy and will more than likely take steps to reposess the vehicle after just one or two notices - and are unlikely to give finance to the same person again. This means they'll have to save up for new wheels - hopefully growing up a little in the mean time.

It's just my opinion, but I think that is an amazing idea.

Like others have mentioned, the finance companies will not be happy and will more than likely take steps to reposess the vehicle after just one or two notices - and are unlikely to give finance to the same person again. This means they'll have to save up for new wheels - hopefully growing up a little in the mean time.

Correct!! It's as I mentioned on page 2 of this thread.

I watched the "Sunday" program last night about boy racers, it reminded me of the late 70's with 327 Victors & V8 Mk IV Zodiacs doing burnouts in industrial areas [ Beaumont st, Auck ] [ & they used diesel on the roads back then ]

One thing I noticed that was consistent with the 70's and Now is the trouble makers were always driving a piece of sh*t [ showing off their manhood , trying to be "badass" etc ]

Old Nissan Cefiro's are the MkIII Zephyr of the 21st Century [ crushing these won't acheive anything ]

The people with the good cars usually had a bit of pride and self respect [ and nothing to prove ] but also always got persecuted by the law because the cars attracted this attention.

We don't need laws that restrict freedoms, this just adds to the "outlaw" excitement [ which is very alluring ]

What we need is laws that encourage social responsibility

Getting the Finance & Insurance Companies on side is a step in the "right direction"

Now all we need is to work on the parents [ We might need to repeal the "anti-smacking bill" for this one. Haha! ]

He He nothing like a threat to boys fav pastime to get their backs up . Maybe they should all drive around the Beehive with their slammed & ultra loud sh*t boxes . That will get ministers attention lol.

I think they've already got their attention. :lol:

Anyone see the clowns in chch on Sunday last night-Tossers!!