Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Land Transport (Enforcement Powers) Amendment Bill

I'm going to save my comments for a bit and see exaclty what the new bill states as this is the first I have heard of it, however, I will state that if anybody has a problem with this bill they should take it upon themselves to express to the powers that be that there is a problem. I'm NOT talking about being an idiot like those people down in CHCH who crowded the police car. I'm talking about the the proper channels. One of the most effective things you could do is to talk to your local MP. They usually have an office in the centre of town.

If you do this don't go making stupid immature comments as they are unlikely to get you anywhere. But if you want to go on about being mature etc then take mature steps to see that your point gets put across. Too often I hear people whinge about how they never get there say, yet they never take any steps (apart from whining on a forum or starting an internet petition which achieves 1/10th of fudge all).

We should march across the harbour bridge, I heard that works. And, how can we show this disadvantages maori? That works too apparently..

Sigh, I love my country, but it sure as hell pushes my buttons sometimes

mac4, define themselves. And if you define them as boy racers, define a boy racer.

Change the record Pjay, that discussion has been done to death.

mac4, define themselves. And if you define them as boy racers, define a boy racer.

Easy. If you have a problem with this bill you are a boy racer.

I thought you would have agreed with some of the points George made on ES, Graham.

Not really I don’t even know what he was going on about, it not hard to have a legal car and drive responsibly, I think too many people get caught up in the romance of being a rebel and forget who the law is there to protect.

If it gets some drift fan boy wanna be in a sacked out piece of sh*t off the road I will be happy knowing he didn’t have the chance to practice his awesome skills on the road. He might even come to a track day in his wip and show us how it’s done.

George is still complaining about number plates, im thinking the registration thing is regarding the vehicle being registered not its bloody plate, they are not going to demerit a driver for having a German plate.

Edited by Apex

What happened to consulting with parties with vested interests? LVVTA, AA, and so on?????

Bimmersport? ...

i think i'm going to write an email to my MP about the pplates thing...

Increase age which you can get driving license .

Improve the Driver education system - Lots and lots.

Increase the time in which it takes to go from a learner to a restricted to a full.

Really drunk and repeat drunk drivers - jail time

Obnoxiously loud cars after 1 warning / fine- have the car towed on the spot to a workshop where the exhaust can be replaced and approved all at the expense of the owner. (pro-active) I hate loud pieces of sh*t ricer cars!

Don't crush cars - that's a waste - strip them and sell them to recoup costs.

... How about work WITH car clubs etc to encourage better behaviour and modification practices.

rant rant

Increase the time in which it takes to go from a learner to a restricted to a full.

Obnoxiously loud cars after 1 warning / fine- have the car towed on the spot to a workshop where the exhaust can be replaced and approved all at the expense of the owner. (pro-active) I hate loud pieces of sh*t ricer cars!

... How about work WITH car clubs etc to encourage better behaviour and modification practices.

rant rant

I could not agree more.

Also, I would think the majority of this forum, and people in general, who have modified cars have nothing to worry about. I for one take complete pride in my car, therefore every mod that I do is legal, and safe and up to standard. Why worry? Of course there is the minority thats causing all this fuss. They are the people who will be affected by this bill, and I'm sorry, but they are the people who will kick up the biggest fuss. If your not doing anything wrong, why would they take your car? Why would they bother you at all? The police are not a force of people with one mind set, they are people like you and I, who also own cars that are modified I'm sure, and can clearly see the difference between "boy racer" (the guy in the car with the steelies on the back with no springs doing a "phat" skid out onto the road) and a "car enthusiast".

However, if the car enthusiast starts doing "phat skidz" out onto the road also, what makes him any different from the boy racer?

All in all, my point is, if your not doing anything wrong, you're not going to get trouble. Simple right?

And if there is a law to do with exhausts that are too loud, then quiet them down. Whats the big deal?

My 2c.

yep it's the typical NZ approach and it's getting very tiresome.

Make more and more laws for everything. It doesn't solve anything

I would like to see more preventative and long term measures taken. And this applies to so much more than driving and traffic.

Yes there is a problem with "boy racers" but the whole thing has been blown out of proportion, yes they do disrupt the peace and put others in dangerous situations now and then but no more than the rest of the drivers on the road.

The existing laws were more than enough to kerb their behaviour, they just are not well enforced. We all know where all the cops are .... handing out tickets to people traveling 5 km over the speed limit on the f**king wide and straight motorway (where hardly anyone is ever killed), and handing out tickets to smart people who purchase number plates from overseas because they aren't a million f**king dollars! - because it's easy for the police to do this, and it is profitable.

The retarded public hasn't helped with this whole boy racer thing either, always having a moan. The reality is boy racers aren't even that much of a problem in the grand scheme of things. The don't distribute P, comit murders, robberies, rape or anything, and they don't drink and drive any more than the rest of the drivers on the road.

All "boy racers" do is modify their cars in stupid ways and hang out together in public places, because 20 or so cars don't really fit anywhere except in a public road or carpark. It's a few individuals that break the law by doing skids etc ...

I think it is embarassing the amount of focus the government, media and law enforcement are giving this relatively minor issue when there are so many more important things to be doing. For example the finance companies who own or financed most of these 'boy racer' cars and contributed to the current recession .... what gives.

Also John Key is a retard, there is no chance he'll be in for another term, the problem is who will be? There aren't many unretarded politicians these days

I agree with Ollie 100%

BUt all in all if it stops one person from being Killed or takes even one dickhead off the road and people feel safer then I'm all for it.

I do think there are a lot of Grey Spots in this legislation but i think that if everybody drives safely and responsibility then nobody should have any problems.

Its probably going to make me think harder about driving my 300zx around , Im not a dropkick doing skids or accelerating hard but i would like to be re assured that this legislation is really aimed at proper boy racers and not just every person who has a nice car that goes on a sunday drive to enjot themselves in their nice car the legal way.

if they are going to order a car off the road for suspission that it is illegal ie: too low or too loud,

y not have it instantly tow'd to a vtnz and if it passes dont charge the driver!

:angry:

i have had my car pink and greened stickered for various things and every time i havnt changed a thing and got them removed by the vtnz the next day. exept for once failed check on control arm bushes, when car was pink stickered for no cert for modified suspension and being too low (had legal jamex superlows) and was correct hight, although looked very low due to body-kit.

i realise its their job to ensure saftey on the road, but im just REALY anoyed when i have to pay a $600 fine and go and get a new w.o.f everytime when the car is fine just because i am a "Boy-Racer" and the police dosnt know just suspects! ! !

rant rant

Firstly, Don't crush the cars .

De-register them and let the "free-market" [ Auto dismantlers ] sort them out.As long as the rightful owner aka Finance or Rental Co is protected.

Nothing punishes a person more than letting somebody else profiteer from his / her stupidity [ let the vultures win occasionally ]

I am Dead against raising the driving age [ it is a breech against the civil rights of responsible young drivers who are punished because of the irresponsible actions of others ]

THE DRIVING AGE SHOULD BE LOWERED TO 14, but there is a catch to this!

Raise the age of car ownership to 18 years so a driver should get 4 years of 'supervised' driving before he / she is unleashed in a GSR Skyline [ imagine it the other way round , leaving skool at 16 and saving for a GTR for your 18th birthday ]

Now our whole society needs tough laws on social responsibility,

The registered owner of the car [ who's over 18 ] is 100% responsible for anybody between 14-18 [ lets make this everybody ] who commits an offence in their car.

Imagine Mum or Dad getting fined or demerit points [ suspended license etc ] because their little sh*ts driving offences.

It might not be fair in some cases, but it will get more people [ parents ] helping enforce the law through controlling usage

I can't see anything but good coming from this - nice one Mr Key & co.

So there's going to be a few muppets crying over there squished pieces of crap - so what? Its not like they aren't going to have an opportunity to quit their anti-social BS antics before the crush - and it they don't figure it out then they probably never will.

I won't be rushing out to invest in a car crushing business any time soon, as I can't really see too many getting the squish....

i was told today that if the car is under another name, the police cannot do anything to it. is this true?

Firstly, Don't crush the cars .

De-register them and let the "free-market" [ Auto dismantlers ] sort them out.As long as the rightful owner aka Finance or Rental Co is protected.

Nothing punishes a person more than letting somebody else profiteer from his / her stupidity [ let the vultures win occasionally ]

I am Dead against raising the driving age [ it is a breech against the civil rights of responsible young drivers who are punished because of the irresponsible actions of others ]

THE DRIVING AGE SHOULD BE LOWERED TO 14, but there is a catch to this!

Raise the age of car ownership to 18 years so a driver should get 4 years of 'supervised' driving before he / she is unleashed in a GSR Skyline [ imagine it the other way round , leaving skool at 16 and saving for a GTR for your 18th birthday ]

Now our whole society needs tough laws on social responsibility,

The registered owner of the car [ who's over 18 ] is 100% responsible for anybody between 14-18 [ lets make this everybody ] who commits an offence in their car.

Imagine Mum or Dad getting fined or demerit points [ suspended license etc ] because their little sh*ts driving offences.

It might not be fair in some cases, but it will get more people [ parents ] helping enforce the law through controlling usage

I like the way this person thinks! I know my parents would never have let me drive if i'd gotten any tickets etc regardless of whether i had my own car or not, that idea there might just work....

i was told today that if the car is under another name, the police cannot do anything to it. is this true?

Thats the case now But the minister has said this will change under the new legislation.

It's all a bit to easy to just back down and say that the government knows best. The argument that if you aren't doing anything wrong you don't have anything to fear is a dangerous point of view to have. People should think about things long and hard before using this statement.

I still haven't read through the proposed changes but I can't see how this would be enforceable in the courts. They are effectively trying to legislate for theft or vandalism. If you went and took a bat to someone's car because they performed daily burnouts on your road, would you get away with it? No you would be charged with vandalism of some sort. So why should the anybody, government or otherwise be given the right to steal and vandalise your property? I'm sure there is something in NZs constitution about this sort of thing - YES NZ does have a constitution. And if there isn't maybe we should be looking into why it isn't.

Once again I raise the point from the stuff article.

If Muhammad Mandeep in his courier van speeds everywhere everyday tailgating and cutting off traffic, parking on yellows and footpaths, does he lose his van? If fatty Mc fat fat in his V8 commodore races every ford he sees off at the lights, does he lose his commy? And if little miss Pink in her Rav 4 pulls out of her driveway and accelerates to 20km/h and only does 80 in the fast lane of the motorway, will she lose her champagne colored Rav 4? What about Mc Gang man on his 120dB harley? I could go on and on.

Or will stereotypes like this be ignored by police because they aren't "boy racers??"

Crush the cars of all lousy drivers

Look at the Road Toll death stats for NZ. Funny that, Its not just boy racers, who are dubbed as young kids doing skids and making noise, killing people on the roads.

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/research/toll.html

I don't know about the rest of you, but I think preventing a death is a bit more important than getting rid of a loud exhaust.

And no, I don't support "boy racers" in any way, shape, or form. I'm with Ollie here when he says (The government) Make(s) more and more laws for everything. It doesn't solve anything.

We need prevention, not Retaliation

/rant

Dont be so sensible Peter.

There are no votes in that thinking.

some of this i agree with.. but some things are so stupid.. noisy exhaust on some parts i don't agree with. the penalties shouldn't be as steep as they are. In Chch they used to have a rx7 series 7 that used to line you up at the lights.. give you a rev up (this car was noisy!) then if you dragged him he would pull off down a side street and a mufty would come up behind you and that was it you were f*!ked. they don't do this anymore cause they got caught and police got in a bit of trouble. i mean in all fairness if i was an old bloke in a E92 M3 and some knob in an rx7 was reving his car up beside me wanting a drag i'd give it to him.

cops dont just pick on young guys John Rae who owns a insurance brokering was done for sustained loss of traction in his car (porsche I think ) .Also meant losing his racing licence as well. As stated if you have a full ylegal car at a gathering , nothing to worry about . Dont hear the hot rod or muscle car guys getting their knickers in a twist over it ,because they have fun legally. So all you lot grizling over getting your car crushed - suck it up ,bring on the new laws . I have had hot v8 s with huge tyres scoops "best fun at drag strip , These racer kids do it because its the illegality of it that gives them the buzz. & its not just a few .