Sign in to follow this  
sosnz

E36 EVO M3 98 Exhaust Upgrade Help

Next step for a wee bit of a performance boost is the exhaust on my baby, have been quoted $2500 for an import but would prefer to spend less for a local to build a similiar system.

Can anyone suggest who i may approach?

Thanks

Mike

Are you talking about upgrading from the block or from the headers backwards ?

Keep the EVO headers as there isn't much more to be gained in your price range. For a street system I recommend your muffler choice (staying to BMW tradition and actually availible in NZ (6month old research here :) ) remus / supersprint / Milltek Sport or borla systems.

e.g.

Posted Image

They all make a rear muffler and center muffler sections for the e36 EVO m3.

The gains your aiming for are in the 5500RPM range upwards ... more flow / freer reving in the higher ranges.

Keeping in mind for street use no point over doing it on the noise thing .. trust me .. you _will_ get sick if you go too loud.

Posted Image

if you want to keep the noise under 100db, does just putting a straight pipe(or dual pipes??) with muffler on the end cut it, hp and noise wise?

as the e3050 with the exact same engine will be needing a new exhaust as I sold the stock one.

Are you talking about upgrading from the block or from the headers backwards ?

Keep the EVO headers as there isn't much more to be gained in your price range. For a street system I recommend your muffler choice (staying to BMW tradition and actually availible in NZ (6month old research here :) ) remus / supersprint / Milltek Sport or borla systems.

e.g.

Posted Image

They all make a rear muffler and center muffler sections for the e36 EVO m3.

The gains your aiming for are in the 5500RPM range upwards ... more flow / freer reving in the higher ranges.

Keeping in mind for street use no point over doing it on the noise thing .. trust me .. you _will_ get sick if you go too loud.

They are the system I was quoted $2500 for, so am after a locally made pipe with similiar specs

Right. Well I wouldn't know any body in NZ who makes qaulity mufflers that sound good and aren't repco tin can specails.

It's probably going to be a hard road finding something thats stainless for under that price for the 2/3rds system. (center muffler is very important).

In otherwords... for your budget ... just grab one of the pre-made systems. Or save some more $$$ if you want a proper upgrade.

I made my own muffler out of 304 stainless, .9mm, the front resonator was removed and replaced with an X merge pipe, the whole exhaust from the header flanges is 2.5" the exhaust and alloy flywheel gained 20RWKW

X pipe-

Posted Image

muffler-

Posted Image

sound-

Random thread dig...

Is there any sort of cross-over / merge pipe built into the factory exhaust ... and should there be? (note, I am too lazy to grovel under the car).

on a 328 you get this:

Posted Image

I'm sure theres an article on this forum about the m3 exhaust system