Sign in to follow this  
jameroquai7

Who can help me break into my E30 boot?

Hey team.

My boot is pretty much stuck shut. The key barrel you usually press to pop open the boot has become wedged in, and I've damned well tried my best to remove it with CRC and tender loving care. I thnik something on the inside of the boot has jammed the locking mechanism.

It's a 1987 318i Coupe.

Any workarounds?

Cheers.

James.

Guest FrantiC

Tried gripping the barrell from the inside, Like get some pliers into the key hold and try press against the side to pull it out ? Push the boot down while you do so.

Mine used to get stuck and I just needed to push the key in sideways and pull it outwards.

Edited by FrantiC

Removed the outer barrel, sprayed it all with CRC, moved my key about and it popped open.

Legend.

Thanks for you help mate.

James.

Shove your g/f through the ski hole behind the rear seat if your car has one. Some havn't been punched out yet - remove the rear seat and if there is a set of rounded-cornered rectangular perforations you can punch it out. No good if your car is S/A as there is a fuel tank behind there.

You might have to push hard to get her in there, but use some baby oil and push really hard. Sometimes you'll get a bit of a screeching sound as you do this, bt don't worry, it won't be causing any damage to the car.

Then hand her a torch and shout instructions at her whilst enjoying the beer she brought you when you called her over.

Other alternatives involve smashing a rear tail light, or using panel pullers on the lock to rip it out, but this won't always work as you'll still have to try and spring the catch.

Girlfriend method is the best. Helps if your girlfriend is size 8 or smaller.

Edit: I see you found an alternative method. Ah well, enjoy that beer anyway.

Get a flat head screw driver and push it into the lock, now hit the screw driver 3 or 4 times and the boot should just pop open. Worked for me