Sign in to follow this  
FKat

E36 Overheating

I have a 91 E36 318i and it is overheating. It will reach half way and sit there for about 15 mins (idling from cold) and then it starts to overheat so I'd say its not the thermostat, waterpump is fine too. The fans both seem to be working and I dont think the radiator is blocked. Could it be anything else short of the headgasket? It does loose water through a small hose but is overheating even with plenty of water.

If anyone has any ideas that wud be appreciated.

Cheers.

take the thermostat out and boil it in some water just to make sure, sounds like it isn't opening fully to me

Is your heater hot? are both top and bottom radiator hoses hot? if so then your thermostat is open.

Is your heater hot? are both top and bottom radiator hoses hot? if so then your thermostat is open.

Yeah I've checked the thermostat and it works. And both hoses are getting hot (The bottom one takes a lot longer but once it gets hot the car is not far from overheating.) The heater doesn't work (could that have something to do with it?) I did replace the heater tap a while ago because the rubbers were swollen and it wasn't working, after which it worked again, but now it has stopped working again.

it sounds to me like you either have a air lock or a block in either the heater core or the radiator. try bleeding the system again. if that doesnt work then remove heater pipes. the 2 that go into the firewall. put a hose in one and see how much comes out the other. same with the radiator.

how did you check your thermostat? it may not be opening fully. does it maintain an operating temp for any amount of time or just keep getting hotter and hotter?

If you have a small leak then the airlock theory makes most sense.

You need to bleed thoroughly, and if that doesn't work, then put a hose up the small bottom rad hose on the passengers side, and try to flush water right thru.

had same problem while ago. turned up to be an airlock and f#ked viscous clutch. Try bleeding it again, but level the car with front above the rear. rev a bit and keep 2-2.5 rev/min for 30 ish. should be enough to get the air out. . . . and to prevent the tiny leak: 2 options.

1 . rangi. chuck in some pepper into the coolant.

2. get the proper sealing liquid.

I would suggest repairing the leak properly, then start again with the bleeding process and also pressure test the cooling system for further leaks. The cooling system requires a closed system with no leaks to work properly.

had same problem while ago. turned up to be an airlock and f#ked viscous clutch. Try bleeding it again, but level the car with front above the rear. rev a bit and keep 2-2.5 rev/min for 30 ish. should be enough to get the air out. . . . and to prevent the tiny leak: 2 options.

1 . rangi. chuck in some pepper into the coolant.

2. get the proper sealing liquid.

Say what?? I have heard of the fruit salad diff (banana skins to stop it whining) and seen MacGyver crack an egg into the radiator to stop a leak but never heard of pepper in the coolant.

it sounds to me like you either have a air lock or a block in either the heater core or the radiator. try bleeding the system again. if that doesnt work then remove heater pipes. the 2 that go into the firewall. put a hose in one and see how much comes out the other. same with the radiator.

how did you check your thermostat? it may not be opening fully. does it maintain an operating temp for any amount of time or just keep getting hotter and hotter?

I put it into a pot and boiled it and it opened, and yeah temp holds at halfway idling from cold for about 30 mins. Should I test the thermostat again? or maybe just take it out? But I'll give that other stuff a go. Cheers.

Say what?? I have heard of the fruit salad diff (banana skins to stop it whining) and seen MacGyver crack an egg into the radiator to stop a leak but never heard of pepper in the coolant.

And surely this would just make it run hotter...