Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

E30 Pod filter

Hey guys. i joined up about a year ago but i havent been on much. i generally use bimmerfest.com so im not one that expects all these answers without helping people myslef lol... i find that site a much less confusing layout haha.

anyway... my question is, would it be legal in NZ law to, on an E30, cut a hole in the tray that is under neath the airbox to run a pipe down to the front valance to pick up incoming air? will mount one end of the tube to the AFM and the other to a pod filter, or maybe just make a channel. either way, its the cutting through the metal that i am worried about.

any other solutions that people have done? mine is a M20B20 E30, plate: ETHRTY for those that have seen it...

thanks! andrew

Edited by ethrty320

IMO it wouldn't be worth cutting a hole in the tray, You'd get enough airflow from the grill etc wouldn't you?

This looks to be a pretty good write up on a DIY CAI:

E30 Cold Air Intake

Edited by Poontangsquibble

Guest FrantiC

Seriously, Most attempts at CAI or aftermarket POD filters lose HP.. They designed the stock airbox so well it is very hard to beat.

Either way i cut that metal to run intercooler piping.. It isn't exactly structural it sits between the wheel well and right next to the front chassis beams (so if you do decide you will do it make sure you don't cut into the chassis beams).

Seriously, Most attempts at CAI or aftermarket POD filters lose HP.. They designed the stock airbox so well it is very hard to beat.

Either way i cut that metal to run intercooler piping.. It isn't exactly structural it sits between the wheel well and right next to the front chassis beams (so if you do decide you will do it make sure you don't cut into the chassis beams).

I agree. Use a K&N panel filter in the stock air box and make sure the pipe from the airbox is sealed up to the front headlight cover. You may be able to run more ducting towards the front of the grill to avoid sucking in hot headlight air at night! lol

You could. I also did this for my IC piping. I first consulted with the cert inspector who took a look and said it was fine and not structural. He did want me to leave some metal beside the chassis rail, etc and the hole had to be round and slightly larger than the piping so that no rubbing would occur. I also took it upon myself to run rubber grommet strip around the edge after filing and painting so there were no sharp bits.

But the gains are minimal at best over a k&n panel filter in stock location. And if you don't run a properly sealed airbox you will lose power as the stock airbox is well designed and protected from heat anyway.

If you want to go the K&N panel filter way, I have one that is in as-new condition for $80 incl. postage. They are well over $100 retail, and $100+ plus postage on trademe.

thanks for the ideas there. yeah i will think about how i want to do it. im thinking cutting out the part between the high and low beams lights (leaving the lines in, but taking the back off.. like in the kidneys.. if you get what i mean lol) and see what happens. i want to leave the pod on, and dont want to revert back to the standard air box. looks and sounds cooler haha. mine isnt a performance machine so that doesnt matter so much to me. but keeping the engine cool is :)

thanks for the advice though! at least i know i can cut that out should i decide to. thanks! :)

Your best bang for buck, in terms of air filters, would be to get a cda fibre filter and run some custom piping to the original duct behind the left high beam. You can get these from Woolfe Mufflers and they're on a huge discount there atm.