Sign in to follow this  
BlowMyWhistle

First Five

Guess what I found in the weekend?

My bro & I have been looking at a few cars l;ocally, picked upan e30 in Fremantle, 30k's from here for $1200,

No trans, have a spare 1.. e30. vanilla...

Then we checked this ad, way out of town, place called Pinjarra.

Old guy was selling this car as an '81 323, e30 body.

Went out there, & it was above e12, M badged, but don't think that's authentic, lowered, air dam, rear spoiler, e34 rims, well I think theye34, my e23's got the same rims...

We had a rope on it inside 2 seconds! $300. no plates but just out of license.

Blown 'head gasket' (how many times have I heard that one???).

Oil in water, water in oil.

Some young guys have had it & they owed this old guy $300 so that's what he sold it for!

It's got cool skulls for door lockers, metals on the pedals, a racing steering wheel, big hole cut in the back seat panel for a sub... Pod air filter.

Has ///M badge inside & ///M badge on front bonnet, old & faded so dunno if it's an ebay special? But it is a 4speed manual...

As far as I can tell, by my research it's not a factory M series & it's Munich built.

Reckon it's the find of the week but. Gotta be worth a dollar or two, obviously more than we paid for it..

We coulda picked up an old e23 last week, with the same motor & good head, the car... lots of spare bits for the messerschmidt, now we got a panzer too!

Okay, so does anybody have much info on these "Panzers"?

We would appreciate any insight into this car, eg value, collectability, coolness...

Gonna swap around some parts, taken the NOS seat covers off it already, put an e30 steering wheel on it, given racy model to my daughters e3o, put sheepyskin seat covers on it.

I've got some fotos...

post-4043-1243901549_thumb.jpg

post-4043-1243901771_thumb.jpg

post-4043-1243902180_thumb.jpg

Well done.

I think.

The wheels are BMW Style 2's but are missing the centrecaps. Which according to the wheel catalogue I posted the other month, they come of an e34 as you surmise, but also found on e24 and e32.

Edit: The motor had me stumped at first as it looked similar to an m30, but with a different inlet manifold. Curiosity got the better of me, and google seemed to think it was a m30b25v which is carburettored, but the engine in the pic is obviously injected.

Which leads me to belive it is a German-built (from your info) m535i with an early m30b34. Which would make it a fairly rare car (only 1400-odd produced) and all of the m-badging factory.

What are the last 7 digit's of the VIN number???

post-339-1243904865_thumb.jpg

My god that was difficult to comprehend.

Mate I just love your enthusiasm-what is it you're on? :o

Could of found yourself a good score.

Edited by 1rotty

Which leads me to belive it is a German-built (from your info) m535i with an early m30b34. Which would make it a fairly rare car (only 1400-odd produced) and all of the m-badging factory.

Extremely unlikely unless its been seriously screwed with.

The German factory E12's in RHD would have generally had the factory front (plastic and replaces the bumper) and rear (rubber) spoilers - this car doesnt

The M535i is a 5 speed, not a four speed, and has 14 inch x 6.5 X-Spoke alloys or 7.0 inch option wheels. There is a whole swag of other bits that are different to the standard non-Motorsport car.

The South African E12 M535i's are similar to the German cars, except they dont get the spoilers and the C/R 5 speed

I would suspect what you have here is a 2nd generation 528i manual

Looks to be a nice clean car - a good buy at that price regardless

Extremely unlikely unless its been seriously screwed with.

The German factory E12's in RHD would have generally had the factory front (plastic and replaces the bumper) and rear (rubber) spoilers - this car doesnt

The M535i is a 5 speed, not a four speed, and has 14 inch x 6.5 X-Spoke alloys or 7.0 inch option wheels. There is a whole swag of other bits that are different to the standard non-Motorsport car.

The South African E12 M535i's are similar to the German cars, except they dont get the spoilers and the C/R 5 speed

I would suspect what you have here is a 2nd generation 528i manual

Looks to be a nice clean car - a good buy at that price regardless

Numbers come in at WBACJ7209B4767127

Pictures on flea BAY Australia. salvage cars.

Yeah I go for 2nd generation 528 e12.

My bro reckons it's a 5 speed? We haven't g0t it going yet... Selling it as resto/ drift/hillclimb...

It's got like the recaro seats too, they's aren't the std looking old car seats...

Thanks guys

post-4043-1243976826_thumb.jpg

According to RealOEM.com it is.......................

Produced in:03/1981

Model: E12 528i Sedan

Engine: M30

Built in: Europe as a Right hand drive Manual

Numbers come in at WBACJ7209B4767127

from the Realoem.com site B)

03/1981 E12 528i Saloon M30 Europe Right hand drive Manual

Production Code: 3972

Short of the rare M535i, the 528i was the top of the line E12. If the rest of the car is as tidy as the body looks, its probably quite rare in that condition.

Most of the E12's over here have pretty much died due to terminal rust issues, and even really tidy ones aren't worth that much money.

I brought my South African M535i sans gearbox for $1000 - albeit pretty scruffy in overall condition, and a roadworthy South African 528i manual for $900. I reckon you would struggle to get much more than $2000 for a really tidy car on a private sale. A local dealer sold a really tidy LHD car that had been repowered with a worked 535 engine, with the Motorsport spoilers and suspension for around $2500.

The best site for E12's is http://e12.assertion.de/primary/01001l20.htm

Edited by rxsumo

from the Realoem.com site B)

03/1981 E12 528i Saloon M30 Europe Right hand drive Manual

Production Code: 3972

Short of the rare M535i, the 528i was the top of the line E12. If the rest of the car is as tidy as the body looks, its probably quite rare in that condition.

Most of the E12's over here have pretty much died due to terminal rust issues, and even really tidy ones aren't worth that much money.

I brought my South African M535i sans gearbox for $1000 - albeit pretty scruffy in overall condition, and a roadworthy South African 528i manual for $900. I reckon you would struggle to get much more than $2000 for a really tidy car on a private sale. A local dealer sold a really tidy LHD car that had been repowered with a worked 535 engine, with the Motorsport spoilers and suspension for around $2500.

The best site for E12's is http://e12.assertion.de/primary/01001l20.htm

We put it on ebay for $1600.

Cars are worth double over here cos were so far away from the rest of the civilised world, we're closer to mumbai than sydney!!

We've got a 728 lined up that has the same head, so were anticipating swapping the head & the mags too.

The 728 e23, early model, '84 I think should be more compatable, the e34 mags can sit in the garage until we find a home for them.

My meayhead brother reckons he's gonna flush the motoer with some used oil & put some chemiweld down the water chute & sell it like that.

If he does I'll be taking it off fleabay. I'm not having anything to do with Bodgy Motor Werks!

As to the comment. what am I on, the old guy we bought it from sold us a fity as well!!

Bonus to his pension...

We've got the trans for the e30 now, he wants to list that for $3500 Bodgy Motor Werks....

Good buy for $300 ha.

+ Pensioners selling 50 bags? Crack up.

Yeah, found a home for that & all..

Thanks guys for the info, I've looked eurpoean cars ozzytrailer' first fives, an american bimmer forum & I checked out the E12 assertion, the one in German, nein spakken de deutsch...

My laatest information tells me these cars were the s hit. What saved BMW from GM fate, the first five series.

They put these out on the american market to match mercedes etc.

So our up to date plan; is to purchase an e23 with a 728, same motor.

BBBut... Does the older 7 series, the first e23 have the same head, cam etc?

Like if we strip this new car, the e23, will the compression & the valves be the same?

I'm thinking te 2.8's had a pretty bad rep 17l per 100km & not very fast.

maybe that wood be the 7 series & i dont want to lose any performance advantage from 'downsizing to a 7 series head.

Best case scenario, we swap heads, keep cam & hope compression's the same...

Not interested in rebuilding every stray beemer that comes my way, If I wanted a rebuild it wood be my e23 with the 735i, or the M60 with a rebore & new cams & cylinder heads to match, sigh!

Nun of the other forums I've written to have replied,

Any suggestions as to how this car came to be wearing an ///M badge on the front? Wasn't a recent addition, as old as the car by the look of it...

Did they have ebay in 1981?

Thanks again.

Thanks guys for the info, I've looked eurpoean cars ozzytrailer' first fives, an american bimmer forum & I checked out the E12 assertion, the one in German, nein spakken de deutsch...

Try www.e12.de, and select the english option - the link I provided is in english for me.

If you are wanting to compare the heads, use the realoem site and compare the part numbers. Generally pre E34/E32 the heads are pretty much the same - just watch for distributor position (motronic have dissy caps at the front of the head and no drive for the "normal" dissy on cam - L-Jet have a normal dissy side mounted), you might find that the E23 has the front mount, and the E12 doesnt, so the cams will need to be swapped or buy a "camshaft repair piece" to convert to the other dissy drive, and carbbie vs injection heads.....carbbie heads have a hole and mounts for the fuel pump - injection heads dont.

As for the Motorsport badges....these have been available since the '80s, long before Ebay.

If the car had left the factory as some form of Motorsport special, it would have most probably looked more like this.

I've brought a couple of E12 525s that have had these spoilers, the 7 inch Motorsport wheels and the 3 spoke Motorsport Steering wheel on them

Posted Image

I suspect that to smarten the car up at some stage, the spoilers were added and the badges were put on then B)

Edited by rxsumo

Try www.e12.de, and select the english option - the link I provided is in english for me.

If you are wanting to compare the heads, use the realoem site and compare the part numbers. Generally pre E34/E32 the heads are pretty much the same - just watch for distributor position (motronic have dissy caps at the front of the head and no drive for the "normal" dissy on cam - L-Jet have a normal dissy side mounted), you might find that the E23 has the front mount, and the E12 doesnt, so the cams will need to be swapped or buy a "camshaft repair piece" to convert to the other dissy drive, and carbbie vs injection heads.....carbbie heads have a hole and mounts for the fuel pump - injection heads dont.

As for the Motorsport badges....these have been available since the '80s, long before Ebay.

If the car had left the factory as some form of Motorsport special, it would have most probably looked more like this.

I've brought a couple of E12 525s that have had these spoilers, the 7 inch Motorsport wheels and the 3 spoke Motorsport Steering wheel on them

Posted Image

I suspect that to smarten the car up at some stage, the spoilers were added and the badges were put on then B)

Thanks for that, the old e23 we looked at had the same front mounted dizzy as the e12, that's why we're buying it!

They both injected too!

So Yes & yes

I'll update on progress!

Thanks for that, the old e23 we looked at had the same front mounted dizzy as the e12, that's why we're buying it!

They both injected too!

So Yes & yes

I'll update on progress!

Ya know, I had a good look at this car yesterday, showing my auto born daughter jhow easy a manual was to drive, siting in the drive playing pretendsies, my daughter was 19 yesterday...

But I'm sure this old e12 has a 5 speed box innit. It's not a Toymota box.

Reverse up past 1st. 1st to 2nd, there is a definite gateway, kind of a feel about the change 3rd & 4th, then another slot above 3rd!!

Is it possible to find information on a particular model, more so than what yous guys have dun already? To find the personal history of this car, it hasn't got plates.

name='BlowMyWhistle' date='Jun 3 2009, 10:07 PM' post='253231']

As to the comment. what am I on, the old guy we bought it from sold us a fity as well!!

Bonus to his pension...

Absolutely fkg classic :P