Sign in to follow this  
wolliver

how many KWs can a E30 handle?

hey all, im not too sure if this is in the right thread, but i was wanting to know how many KWs at the wheels can standard e30 325 take before stuff begins to snap and brake?

Theres guys in the states with 300+kw ATW with no real issues. You want to start with the bigger 325i/s running gear though.

Ive got about 200kw+ at the wheels with no issues

good to know, thanks man.

im putting a 4g63t in myn and i did not want to spend a extra couple of grand on making sure it could handle the extra power

Theres guys in the states with 300+kw ATW with no real issues. You want to start with the bigger 325i/s running gear though.

Ive got about 200kw+ at the wheels with no issues

Is that so? Ive been trying to figure this one out for a while also, thats re-assuring for me with my setup also as I was worried about the hp my driveline could handle..

Riley do you know if the 325i CVs will go into the 318ti 5lug rear hubs?

Guest FrantiC

HP / KW don't break axles or diffs etc, Its the TORQUE. But you won't break stuff from HP, you will from the torque, like sudden shocks to the drivetrain from launching, doing burnouts etc. Normal driving wouldn't do anything stressfull to break anything.

HP / KW don't break axles or diffs etc, Its the TORQUE. But you won't break stuff from HP, you will from the torque, like sudden shocks to the drivetrain from launching, doing burnouts etc. Normal driving wouldn't do anything stressfull to break anything.

But we all know what RWD turbos are good for :P we have a local skid pad here it would be shy of me not to try it out haha :D also want to try out a track day that my mates Dad runs for drifting B) so somethings boud to give naturally with drifting/skids. But still good too know that the driveline may hold up to a slight beating..

Guest FrantiC

But we all know what RWD turbos are good for :P we have a local skid pad here it would be shy of me not to try it out haha :D also want to try out a track day that my mates Dad runs for drifting B) so somethings boud to give naturally with drifting/skids. But still good too know that the driveline may hold up to a slight beating..

Haha definitley, same for me there is a local skid pad here too. Depends what ya got though, I have an LSD in mine so less stress on rear end compared to if you got a locky in there. I destroyed my axles when I had a locky in mine and that was when it was a mesely m20b20 lol. Too many burnouts and it eventually broke the whole diff cover and everything, no rear mount and the diff fell and smashed to the ground with the left axle broken off and subframe twisted downwards from the diff oulling it down and pulling the driveshaft all crooked lol. Wouldn't rock a lock diff in my e30 ever again!

Haha definitley, same for me there is a local skid pad here too. Depends what ya got though, I have an LSD in mine so less stress on rear end compared to if you got a locky in there. I destroyed my axles when I had a locky in mine and that was when it was a mesely m20b20 lol. Too many burnouts and it eventually broke the whole diff cover and everything, no rear mount and the diff fell and smashed to the ground with the left axle broken off and subframe twisted downwards from the diff oulling it down and pulling the driveshaft all crooked lol. Wouldn't rock a lock diff in my e30 ever again!

Whoa! Never had that issue with my locked diff lol but im still going to get an LSD man. The worst I done was smashed two CV joints so upgraded to the 325i halfshafts and CV joints, that was because the skid pad was so sticky from all the rubber down.

Riley is there a difference between 325i and 325i/s (what is 325i/s?) halfshafts? I pressumed the 325i ones I was supplied with are the beefier ones but are they really? They dont look much bigger than the 318i ones I had in prior.. however they didnt fit the original hubs I had on the car, this giving me the intention that they are definitely bigger and stronger?

Guest FrantiC

Whoa! Never had that issue with my locked diff lol but im still going to get an LSD man. The worst I done was smashed two CV joints so upgraded to the 325i halfshafts and CV joints, that was because the skid pad was so sticky from all the rubber down.

Riley is there a difference between 325i and 325i/s (what is 325i/s?) halfshafts? I pressumed the 325i ones I was supplied with are the beefier ones but are they really? They dont look much bigger than the 318i ones I had in prior.. however they didnt fit the original hubs I had on the car, this giving me the intention that they are definitely bigger and stronger?

All 325i have the same bigger halfshafts (318is have the same). You can tell they are different cos the middle of the shafts have a weld bead in the middle of them. That's how you know they are the stronger 325i halfshafts.

Edited by FrantiC

All 325i have the same bigger halfshafts (318is have the same). You can tell they are different cos the middle of the shafts have a weld bead in the middle of them. That's how you know they are the stronger 325i halfshafts.

Oh ok how obvious is the weld bead? Dont really know if mine have them

Guest FrantiC

Oh ok how obvious is the weld bead? Dont really know if mine have them

Trying to find a picture, Um yip it is i think you can see them on normal like 320i shafts but the 325i has a considerably big ring of weld around the middle off the halfshaft.

Trying to find a picture, Um yip it is i think you can see them on normal like 320i shafts but the 325i has a considerably big ring of weld around the middle off the halfshaft.

Oh ok sweet I must have a look sometime John thanks. So back on topic E30 rear ends with LSD and the 325i halfshafts should nicely handle 300kw with the right treatment.

Sorry for the delay, looks like all your questions have been answered. But yes it really does depend on how you treat your car, the 325i setup will handle almost anything but not constant abuse.

The soggy biscuit chassis/body would suggest bugger all.

Edited by Apex

I think it depends on how much of a bastard you are to the car. One mate of mine has blown a fair few diffs in his e30, he has 220rwkw, he has gone through a few gearboxs as well if i recall properly.

Another mate of mine has a m50b25 in his 320i, and he blew the diff up the other day just changing harshly into 3rd.

Bigger axel and bigger diff and ya should be alright I guess, i have no idea how much power a standard driveshaft can handle though.

Guest FrantiC

I think it depends on how much of a bastard you are to the car. One mate of mine has blown a fair few diffs in his e30, he has 220rwkw, he has gone through a few gearboxs as well if i recall properly.

Another mate of mine has a m50b25 in his 320i, and he blew the diff up the other day just changing harshly into 3rd.

Bigger axel and bigger diff and ya should be alright I guess, i have no idea how much power a standard driveshaft can handle though.

320i = small case diff. = WEAK.

Sorry for the delay, looks like all your questions have been answered. But yes it really does depend on how you treat your car, the 325i setup will handle almost anything but not constant abuse.

Thats cool Riley! Yea Ive been known to be a bit heavy on gearboxs and diffs.. hopefully ive grown up a little bit since my cars been of the road haha! But still wanna see what it can do lol :P

320i = small case diff. = WEAK.

Haha John my 318i standard had a medium case diff.. weird eh

Yep, turns out I had the small case diff. Didnt take much to break it at all:

Posted Image

I now have a medium case 3.63 (need to find a lsd center for it :rolleyes:) and the larger 325i axles.