Sign in to follow this  
red89mx

E46 2 button key remote locking prob

Hi All

Have a 2 button E46 key that is having difficulty locking the car....does it sometimes other times easier to do manually.

It seems to unlock fine ....LED is a bit dim compared with our other key which is sweet.

Given that it locks 50/50 and unlocks 100% I am a little confused. Understand that the keys are recharged in use, is it possibly that the battery is nearly kaput. If so can they be replaced and have the key re-associated or is it the replacement $ 500 key scenario I have been reading about on the forum.

This is a well used key (rubber a bit ratty) and looks like it has been the primary key since the car was new on 01.

Look forward to your suggestions.

I have the same problem but with the older style key

I may be wrong But it seems like its the same problem as in this thread

THREAD

EDIT

Isn't the rechargeable key the one with three buttons though

Like this

post-3372-1244023915_thumb.jpg

And older style, non rechargable

post-3372-1244024144_thumb.jpg

Edited by jordy

Yep

It is the second style - are these re-chargable?

Whilst mine is a bit manky....not as bad as the photo. Have uploaded own photo.

Got adventurous and pulled the key apart, mine has two Panasonic CR2106 batteries on top of each other, seems to work better now that I have put it back together....although red led is very weak compared with other key.

Any issues/tricks with swapping batteries ie do you need to do in < 30 seconds otherwise reinitialize?

Looks like it is designed to be services with 1 x tab and 2 x phillips screws.

post-4003-1244102063_thumb.jpg

The 2-button key is NOT rechargable.

It is an infrared key.

Go to d*ck Smith / Jaycar and buy 2 x new CR2016 batteres.

Then take the old out, put the new in, and you're done.

Do it within a short time - dunno how long - and the key stays synchronised

And remember when you point at the car, the IR receiver is the red lump on the rear view mirror, so the key has to "see" the IR receiver for the key to work.

I'll also add... the infa red keys dont work from a huge distance like the microwave keys. You need to be reasonably close for it to work, and as Jochen said, point it at the rear vision mirror. If you take the batteries out to get new ones you might have to reinitialise the key/keys

Ta Dudes

Yeah noticed how close you had to be for the remote to work and if you were obstructed fronmt eh clown nose was difficult.

Will get the new batteries and replace - simple enough. Was worried after reading all the key issues on the American BMW sites like E46 fanatics etc.

At least with these keys do not have the big $$$ associated as per the rechargeable keys.

I'll also add... the infa red keys dont work from a huge distance like the microwave keys. You need to be reasonably close for it to work, and as Jochen said, point it at the rear vision mirror. If you take the batteries out to get new ones you might have to reinitialise the key/keys

And to expand on Glenn's comments:

The IR remote works further at night (less IR interference from the sun) and also better on darker, cloudy days.

I've unlocked my BMw using my IR remote from the same distance as a BMW with an RF remote - at nighttime :-)

(and by making sure the key could see the clown nose of course)

Trip to Dickos, two batteries + 3mins and all is well again - did not need to do any reprogramming.

Once again ....ta for the input.

Is there anyway we can change the 2 button old style key to the new diamond style as would be alot better if we could