Sign in to follow this  
Apex

Renaultsport Megane Team F1

Update.

Well, I decide to dyno the missus car as I felt it had a bit more power than factory, results show it indeed has 180kw, 15 up on what Renault claim, quite cool considering its standard.

Have a Quaife LSD and some new Mintex brake pads to fit before next track day in a couple of weeks, the LSD job will take about three days.

Big pictures

Posted Image

Posted Image

Im thinking we might get the missus a new car so I can keep this and half cage it.

That's awesome. Underrated factory power is the best kind of power.

I would like to see what the RS197's put down.

In fact, I would like a RS197.

I suspect its higher than standard since its boosting higher than standard - is it supposed to creep to 14psi (which is totally safe, I am sure).

It’s 100% stock bar a panel filter and hasn’t been fettled with since delivery new, the first owner is a friend of ours and hasn’t had it chipped, I asked him if he thought about it and he said its not something he would do, he is very conservative and not into modifying things outside the factory specs.

The only way it could have been fettled is if Renault NZ had it mapped before delivery but even that seems strange as most remaps that can be done in NZ take the car straight to 250BHP minimal, and stage 2 they can be remapped to 275BHP with a de-cat downpipe.

Im trying to find out dyno info on the 225-F1Team, lots of people have run the stock 225 and R26 on the dyno and both come in a lot lower than what mine put out.

So im happy with this free power, suspected it was a bit more powerful than a 225 as at track day it was gaining on some much “faster†cars.

As a reference, a stock 191kw Mazda 3 MPS was 10kw at the wheels up on me and a 177kw Opel Astra VRX was 3KWATW down, so 180kw figure is working for me.

Out of interest - how is the torque steer?

My old DC5 with less torque (200nm fly) and power (220hp fly) was only really happy applying power in corners (regardless of surface) or nice smooth tarmac when going straight. Otherwise it'd attempt to change lanes when it came on cam :lol:

It’s there, somewhere.. Can’t say I have noticed. It’s a fun car.

Its a lot different than a Honda Integra, I know the kick you are speaking off, my old Integra was brutal on cam.

My K-motor didn't really have too much of a "kick" like the B series, but more a surge in power.

By the looks of things the R26 is very linear, does it have any perceptible lag? Or is it one of these mysterious lagless new cars? It definitely looks fun!

Would love to be taken for a thrash in the Megane *cough* :ph34r:

No serge, very linier, just pours it on smooth and holds it, if it wasn’t for the turbo noise when pushing it you could mistake that its turbo, feels like a medium sized V6 in terms of delivery down low but keeps pulling. Most modern Turbo’s are similar, BMW’s new engines for example, the Astra Turbo we had a few years back had a much more dramatic feel, you could really feel the 320nm kick in at 2,700 and carry threw to 5,000rpm.

Another reason for the lack of in your face drama of powerful FWD of old is the front hub geometry, I believe Renault patented it.

With the Quaife LSD installed in a few weeks things should become a little more manic.

Here is a Video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWM-Mo5QvCc

Brought the missus a present for her car, nothing sais I love you honey like a Quaife LSD.

Posted Image

Have got her some new Pirellis also, who said chivalry was dead.

They come from England, I got it through the Australasian importer Palmside Motorsport in Christchurch, you can buy them direct from Quaife but you will only save $40.

Mine is an 06, unfortunately the LSD gearbox wasn’t ready in 06 so they didn’t start fitting them until 07.. Lack of traction was the 06 F1’s Achilles heal so it seemed logical that I fit one.

They are quite expensive but fitted its still cheaper than buying an 07 car.

This diff is the same as used in the new Focus RS, the one in the 07 R26 is a Japanese diff the same used in the Mazda 3 MPS.

LSD works well, lots of traction out of corners now, just need some new tyres to tack advantage of it, car was slipping hard at Pukekohe.

Under steer…

Posted Image

Posted Image

450HP HSV. Easy pray

Posted Image

190hp Clio. Not so easy pray. Took a bit to get past this little thing, one of the fastest road cars there. Love it at trackdays, people always come up and ask him what it it and why its so fast.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Average Consumption: 8.9 with a lead foot. 7.7 is acheavable over a tank if your doing mostly motorway/open road trips.

At the race track: 11.5, did 60 laps and had half a tank left.

Are you looking at a R26? Some good end of line deals going at the moment.

Had no tyres left though, new Pirelli’s going on this week, went for the P-Zero Nero, will give a report on them if anyone is interested, the Dunlop’s that were on it will be hard to beet.

Guest Simon*

Nice one Graham!

I thought you just chucked new Pirelli's on it?

You magazine aficionados may poopoo it but there's a 4-car battle article in the latest TG mag with Mazda 3 MPS, Focus XR5, STi and a hot Megane RS225 - some interesting info in it

Mazda 3 has no LSD and suffers badly for it

Thanks for that! Is that L/100Km or Km per litre?

Thinking about an RS225, I'm after a smaller hatch etc that isn't a Corolla, the 4 doors of the RS225 are a real bonus!

Whats the reliability like? been reading very mixed reports (just like BMWs then!)

The RS225 is good, they have leather and a much softer suspension tune compared to the Team F1 cars and are a real bargain second hand. Build quality is very average and parts and servicing will cost you an arm and a leg, being rare in NZ New Genuine parts and dealer repair jobs are the only option, and even then your dealer will struggle, basic servicing and maintenance is relatively friendly. IMO You would have to be a driving enthusiast to justify one as bar the brilliant dynamics and ergonomics they fail in comparison to the mainstream products, if I was buying for my wife and kids VW would get my money.

I actually assumed the MPS 3 had an LSD like the old MPS 3, will pick up a copy.

They are all soft compared to the Megane. Was reading NZ autocar and the R26 is still the quickest hatch even after all these years.

Don't mean to hi jack your post, but did anyone see what the one at Turners North Shore went for a few weeks ago?

I heard they had one but no one knew the spec, so I didn’t know what car they were talking about. I was told it went for 24k.

2003-2005 RS225 $20-25k

2006-2009 facelift RS225 $25-35k depending on year and millage.

2006 Megane 225 Team F1 $25-30k (only ten in NZ)

2007-2009 Megane Team F1 R26 $30-45k.

Do you know what it was??

I heard they had one but no one knew the spec, so I didn’t know what car they were talking about. I was told it went for 24k.

2003-2005 RS225 $20-25k

2006-2009 facelift RS225 $25-35k depending on year and millage.

2006 Megane 225 Team F1 $25-30k (only ten in NZ)

2007-2009 Megane Team F1 R26 $30-45k.

Do you know what it was??

I don't remember too much but can tell you that it was an F1 and the same colour as your car and estimate was in the low 20's.

Ah sweet it was an 06 F1 225 team then. 24k is what it went for, a guy on Fast frogs was bidding on it upto 20 then watched it climb to 24, a guy in the south island brought it. He said it was a 225RS.

That’s not a bad price depending on KM’s, someone got a bargain, bang for you buck.

Oh, and there is a big difference between the F1 and regular 225RS’s, a big difference.

Edited by Apex

Was it this one at Turners Crokett??

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=241400086

Shame someone pulled the F1 stickers off and its missing the front lip, bet he called Renault and realised what they are worth.

That TTEETT guy knows his sh*t ;)