Sign in to follow this  
WarNox

Confusion with Control Arm / Wishbone

Hey!

I failed my warrant because the wishbone (control arm?) has a bit of play in it, on the passenger side. This part has 3 parts where it connects to the car.

I've included this picture to help explain my problem. Basically the warrant guy put a crowbar, where the red line is in the picture and there was a bit of play when he put a bit of pressure onto that crowbar. He told me the problem is with the part circled in blue. How do I know if he's right or if the problem is with one of the other 2 joints? There is no play on the drivers side at all.

post-658-1244444114_thumb.jpg

Also, since it seems like a bit of a pain to replace all this is it worth replacing the other joins too?

Thanks for any help.

Gregor

Well, he tested it with a crowbar right beside that joint, and its his job, so why would it be anything else?

You usually replace the whole arm anyway.

Yea suppose when you think about it that way.

So what goes into that middle join? All it says on realoem is that it's a hex nut. I just need the name so I know what to order.

Its a really long ball joint that passes through the subframe. New arms are expensive - may pay to try and find a good second hand one.

my car failed warrent with the same problem, so i got 2 new control arms, total expense $500

I think the actual arm's are fine, it's just the joints that aren't. Looks like a bit of a mission to do at home, need special tools to get all that off.

I think the actual arm's are fine, it's just the joints that aren't. Looks like a bit of a mission to do at home, need special tools to get all that off.

You cant buy the inner joints seperately. Only new lower control arms. I'd also do the castor bushes as well

Don't forget to get a 'full' wheel alignment done afterwards either.

You cant buy the inner joints seperately. Only new lower control arms. I'd also do the castor bushes as well

Yes you can, I got mine for $45. You just need a press to press them in and out.

Yes you can, I got mine for $45. You just need a press to press them in and out.

I stand corrected then. They would have to be aftermarket though. Because you cant buy OEM ones

I stand corrected then. They would have to be aftermarket though. Because you cant buy OEM ones

I don't understand why anyone would press out an old ball joint, when complete OEM arms with both ball joints are so cheap. The extra labour involved outways the cost difference of the parts.

I thought replacement ball joints are not available from the factory because it is seen as poor practise to replace them. Pressing out the old and pressing in the new ball joint reams out the seat in the arm slightly making for a poor/loose fit??

I've just done both on the olds E36, I'm sure I ddn't pay anywhere near $350 an arm, closer to $130 I think, check with Gavin @ Euro Italian anyway, it wasn't worth the hassle of pressing the ball in and out anyway