Sign in to follow this  
CaM

hrrrmm

So yeah,

Lookin at buying a 4wd, don't seem to be able to decide between a couple i'm lookin at....

1st, 1973 RANGE ROVER! V8,

One of the few non-jap vehicles I like: big, high, torquey, 2door, ooozzes awesome.....

2nd, mid '80s TOYOTA LANDCRUISER, short-mid wheelbase, pto winch, diesel 3.4 blah blah blah...

can't decide.

On the one hand theres the obvious economy difference, which isn't really a necessity with it being a second vehicle.....but then again i wouldn't wana break the bank jus goin to taupo in the f**ker or anythin. Both are awesome, with the cruiser being a little more off road capable, in saying that, the rangey wouldnt be completely inept at this....

On the other hand, the cruiser isnt quite as "pimp" :pimp: i guess you could say, open exhausts + tints + huge wheels and sh*t would be tits as, but again, it would be on the landcruiser too.....

hmm, what do ya reckon? :bounce:

No choice from what I can see.

Toyota is the business!!

Hell, they still make the old girls, just the same!!

The old rangies have shitty gearboxes with chain driven transfer cases and old pushrod V8 with SU's, does it get any uglier!!! Oh, and a total loss oil system dervied from the mini.

the range rover is seriously capable off roader too,however i suggest the rangie WOULD break the bank going to Taupo!Any seriuos modest 4wd enthusiast has a deisel these daysI would think the rangie would be mid to high teens litres per hundred kilometres and would have a huge tank.I put over 80 bucks in the 535 the other night.......

Glenn's correct on this one, the Landcruiser is by far the bettter vehicle and that does come from off-roading experience, esp. with the shorter wheel base version... although I had the 2.5 turbo which wasn't as good as the 3.5NA.

The rovers have good axles, the toyotas have better everything else, and if you've watched top gear you'll see that the toyota diesels will handle alot more punishment than any other bloody off-roader.

BTW, the rovers don't have very good cabin seals, ie, they DO NOT like crossing streams. The landcruiser on the other hand (with snorkel) managed to get half submerged, front of bonnet completely submerged, and drove out dry :mosh:

The brand new Range Rover that followed us didn't do aswell, aparently they have cpu's under the passenger seat that don't like water, it got towed home.

A mate of mine had a bj40 for a while and has now got the short wheel base of the cruiser your looking at. He's selling the bj40 soon if your interested?

Are any extras other inluded, ie LSD or lokcing diffs etc

The winch is worth quite a bit just on its own, and if you are going to go poroper 4wd it will save your ass heaps.

top gear vs toyota ute was so badass

go the landcruiser, we got a nasty old v8 here :D

damn i love that thing

i've had a fair bit of experience with landcruisers from old fj50's to newer ones and they can't be beaten. You would really need to look at your bank balance before even considering a rangey. Get the cruiser - you'll be happier in the long run.

Guest Andrew

ECU for the new range rover is in the boot (if you are talking about the spanking new Vogues and HSE's that were designed by BMW) they are seriously badass off road.

However i'd take the Toyota over the Landrover in that era.

Yeah but my old man has a 2003 (first of new shape) and it corners like the fuken Queen Mary!!!, altho the v8 is kool. It pwns X5's, altho maybe not the 4.6 x5..... :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

ECU for the new range rover is in the boot (if you are talking about the spanking new Vogues and HSE's that were designed by BMW) they are seriously badass off road.

However i'd take the Toyota over the Landrover in that era.

uh, i dont see how they could be "badass" off road, badass offroad to me must mean a different thing coz all the offroading i've seen from even disco's is somewhat substandard even in comparison to the old rangerovers.....

haha, didnt find the best pics of the landcruiser, but yeah, it's a minter from what i'm told, i am yet to have a really good look....

I think I'll go for the landcruiser right now, $20+ to go to palmy and back doesnt really float my boat with fuel prices right now, besides, the toyota would probably go a hell of a lot better too

bah, best have a really good look at both haha

Edited by CaM

Aren't the old/er Rangies (live axel models) full time 4wd? Or something different to the more 'traditional' 4wders.

My mums mate has a RR, similar shape to that one, and suprisingly for a British car from the 80s, only the elctric seats have packed up, although it does have a good service record.

But yeah, couldn't go wrong with one of those LCs, check out the latest NZ Autocar, they have a write up of the 'new' one in there :mosh:

pluss the re-sell for most any 4x4 toyota is great..just have to watch for rust round the rear sliding window frames on that model..but no real biggie

10 votes toyota

0 votes RR

the choice is yours

pluss the re-sell for most any 4x4 toyota is great..just have to watch for rust round the rear sliding window frames on that model..but no real biggie

10 votes toyota

0 votes RR

the choice is yours

hell yea RR is what i would go for.. look at it, youll be like the only one with one soon :D

the toyotas have better everything else, and if you've watched top gear you'll see that the toyota diesels will handle alot more punishment than any other bloody off-roader.

along with the toyota cars - Ive got a 1c diesel in my wagon and I CANT KILL IT!!! i have given it a very honest attempt - driven it in the same gear until its absolutly screaming for mercy and then hold it in the same gear for a bit longer etc... it just keeps on running smooth!

Max votes for the Toyota Landcruiser bro, they look cool, have great engines and just keep on going, plus you'd be able to go damn near anywhere at all!!

yo cam

go toyota

altho your bro mite get a bit toey,

because he mite think u are copying him

altho the army are sellin their land rover fleet

for the new LOV's

so u could pick one of those up for cheep :D