Sign in to follow this  
martzman

Aftermarket air intakes

Au contraire.

A friend has a program on his laptop that he rigs up to tune his cars, and for the sake of an argument one day we rigged a temp monitor in my k&n pod filter itself, and used his laptop to record temperatures sucked in. As a control, we put a temp monitor outside the cai (stuck to the side of it nearest the engine), and went for a drive.

Only below 5km/h did the temp monitor show anything remotely near the engine temp. And even then it wasn't even very close.

At speeds over 30km/h the temp inside the pod was cool enough to keep beer respectable.

You have a cold air box though so proberly helps a hell of a lot when the bonnet is shut.

Im going to have a poke around my 328 this weekend, will have a bit of a play.

I just want the sound really, I wouldnt bother paying for it but if its just the matter of pulling a baffle out ill give it a go.

You're right there, I should've used the word comparison, not control.

You're right there, I should've used the word comparison, not control.

I have a Carbon Fibre Gruppe M CAI for my 46. Sounds and performs awesome. I thought power gains were marginal.... but without doing a dyno, it feels like its gainned at least 20HP. The throttle response it so much better too. Just my opinion. Pay the price tho.... :P

I am going to be picky here, if you want to measure whether there is a benefit then you should compare what you had to what you have.

With a Dyno - you can pick up any power increase.

A measure that you could use to gauge whether the cold air is the reason for the gain is to measure the temp as mentioned, before and after or after compared to a reference such as the same type of car with a standard system.

If you want to prove that the cold air intake is providing cold air then you need to compare against a standard system - teh standard system would by definition be your Control set up and your new one would be better or worse.

Doesnt much matter whether you term it a control or a comparison but if it is a comparison then you need to ensure it is "controlled" e.g same conditions, same car type same time and location etc. Other wise it is just totally subjective like the 20hp comment; perhaps you could confirm what model?

I appreciate your 'pickiness', but in all seriousness now, I completely understand where you are coming from. My statement above was only my opinion, nothing more, nothing less. I didn't even read the thread :PI saw the Title on the thread and simply shared my experience.

I mentioned that it "feels" like it gained 20HP but obviously, as stated above, I don't know what the true power gains are, nor have I ever taken it on a dyno. It 'feels' a lot more responsive and it actually 'feels' faster, but i'm no HP guru. I should have added in the fact that I had a previous CAI system in there and the ''20HP gain" was from stock standard to the new Gruppe M one. (lazy on my behalf)

I Paid around $800 for it (good deal from a mate) but i think it retails for a little over $1200. It was an impulse buy and I usually would never spend that kind of money on a CAI but I am slowly beginning to appreciate its benefits. I had an AFC CAI previous to this and although the sound was similar, the Gruppe M comes up on top... but then you have to ask yourself if the extra $500 or so is worth it. If you are serious, then i guess so?

This is my CAI:

Gruppe M RAM Air System

Model No: FRI-0106

https://www.gruppem.co.jp/en/product/ram/index.html

post-926-1246082330_thumb.jpg

Gruppe M RAM Air System

Model No: FRI-0106

https://www.gruppem.co.jp/en/product/ram/index.html

Thats very similar to the one I'm using, a Simota CAI which are quite alot cheaper than $1500 0r $800

EastCoast intake systems

http://www.ecisbmw.com/DMCart/

cost me about $450 2-3 years ago, and on sold it to another Bimmersporter in Hamilton, can t remember his name though.

(I changed from E36 323 coupe to E46 325 Coupe)

I recon about 7 HP, but got rid of flat spot. Sounded great too. Thinking about one for E46.

A mate had one in his E46 330, recons it was great.

Im going to have a poke around my 328 this weekend, will have a bit of a play.

I just want the sound really, I wouldnt bother paying for it but if its just the matter of pulling a baffle out ill give it a go.

If all you want is sound and don’t want to pay for it, cut the front section of your stock intake rite open and make a huge feed into it from behind your headlight.

I remember drilling holes all threw the bottom of a factory box I had on a Nissan Primera once, sounded like a BTC.