Sign in to follow this  
Guest Simon*

Airpoints/dollars Credit cards

Guest Simon*

Who has experiences with these?

Am looking at amalgamating all mine into a GlobalPlus Platinum Visa to get the best of everything (as far as I can see). Has low interest rate, good bang for buck with AirNZ, free travel insurance - only drawback I can see is annual fee of $200 (but I can live with that)

I use my VISA currently for everything so would like to get airpoints as a reward as travel's my thing ;)

Speak!

ASB VISA's rewards points program is good if you use the card alot. It easily covers both my rewards program fee and the card fee, and then enough points to buy a box of beer a month at Woolworths (you can redeem the points at Woolworths by using the rewards card just like another credit card). Really easy.

I found VISA Gold suited me better as I didn't need 120 days of travel insurance, 90 is enough, and the lower fees mean more free beer.

As I pay off the entire balance each month it's interest free, and no transaction fees, the ability to purchase goods online, and the ability to use it like an overdraft if I really need it is great. You can buy almost anything with VISA these days.

If you are doing alot of flying I could see the value of the Global Plus Airpoints scheme over the rewards scheme, although, as I said the ability to use rewards to pay the card fees means the card costs nothing to have.

I'm in the same boat as Bravo. Although I use it to top up my phone instead. I've had the card for 2ish years now and havnt had to top up my phone with anything but the points dollars in that time :)

If you are traveling and need the insurance get it, but pays to check your other insurance policies too as some of them will cover you while overseas depending on country.

Guest Simon*

The travel insurance is strictly a bonus not a requirement, and it comes standard with most Gold or Platinum cards these days anyway. The ASB Rewards VISA looked ok too because you can redeem your rewards points for Air NZ or House of Travel vouchers/credit. However I really do prefer the simplicity of knowing exactly that $90 spent = 1 AirNZ dollar so I can track it and plan around it.

ASB's true rewards is similar

http://www.asb.co.nz/story396.aspx

# With a MasterCard or Visa you’ll earn one True Rewards Dollar for every $150 you spend.

# With a MasterCard Gold or Visa Gold you’ll earn one True Rewards Dollar for every $130 you spend.

# With a Visa Platinum card you’ll earn one True Rewards Dollar for every $100 you spend.

I wonder how "True Rewards Dollars" equate to Air NZ Dollars. Probably close to a 1:1 ratio?

I guess it depends really which bank you are with as to who you will end up with.

with the budget carriers, flight specials etc around these days air points seem fairly pointless as they are generally airline exclusive. the amount you save by choosing "the other airline" could outweigh what you would save by using your air points, although if you get frequent flyer points etc it might be worth it.

It is for this reason I just use ASB visa, gold for the travel insurance and the rewards dollars I spend at the movies, supermarket, pretty much anything - it's nice and flexible.

honestly though - I haven't really looked into air points so am interested to see what the story is. I never got a flybuys card because i have too many cards in my wallet - are they worth getting?

True Rewards : Airpoints = 1:1

What is an airpoint worth?

LINK

rude you can't combine your airpoints and cash to buy flights.

I've got both, an ASB VISA, low fees, points on all spend and can redeem at loads of places dead easy, plus can convert over to Air New Zealand dollars if required.

And the Global Plus card, no yearly fees on my Air NZ airpoints account (tend to fly Air NZ on business go get the points that way as well) only draw back is I went AMEX to get more points per dollar spend, and loads of places don't take AMEX!

When I used some airpoints dollars to book some flights with Air NZ I'm pretty sure you just said how many airpoints dollars you wanted to use then the rest was cash dollars, so you can combine both Ollie? One airpoint dollar = one cash dollar, and can be used on any flights that are available.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

You must pay for the whole fare with Airpoints Dollars or cash, not a combination of both.

link

Doh!

It was a package that I booked, included hotel, etc. not flights only, so that was why I could pay part and part from what I can see on the web-site, sorry for the mis-information.

Most flights are one-way prices anyway, so you can do one out on Airpoints, one back on credit card.

Just found out I've got 560 Airpoints dollars, where shall I go this week-end??