Sign in to follow this  
evil_elmo

singapore BMW's

hi

i'm looking to buy a 320i E46 thats been imported from singapore, the thing i'm worried about is that the car has no service history and no owners manual, is there anything i should look out for?? also the key with the central locking is kinda broken..anyone knows how much it cost to get a new key from bmw?

thanks

phil :D

Key remote that also controls the alarm costs about $300 +GST at the dealer. And you have to get it from the dealer.

Get the car checked by AA (BMW dealer doesn't want to do this work any longer?).

Check that ALL the electronics work, I mean ALL. Make sure nothing is missing even by a pixel. There are lots of other E46s out there.

I wouldnt go near a Singapore car personally, the electrics can get really f**ked up with the humid conditions...

Is it an auto?? if so make sure that it changes all good and knows what over 80kms is.. the speed limit in Singapore is 80kms... Ive heard stories of too intelligent auto boxs not wanting to go into fifth as its learnt not to use it.....:blink:

Have nothing against imports as ive got one myself. Mine didnt have much in the way of service history and the user manual wasnt in english and yet she's been running sweet as for the past two years.

Good luck in your hunt mate, the e46 is a great car. :ph34r:

Make sure nothing is missing even by a pixel.

real life doesnt have pixels..

$120 at team McMilan to have a Pre Purchase inspection done.

$120 is nothing if it saves you having to pay a couple of grand later on.

$120 at team McMilan to have a Pre Purchase inspection done.

best $120 you will spend. examine the car closely to see if it has been "drowned" at some point in its life.

thanks for the replys

i'm thinking to get it checked out by AA before i buy it anyways but just wondered if there is a common problem with the E46's that i need to know about....but it sounds like electronics is the only main problem

the car is a auto with tiptronic and i must say, that tiptronic box is great and so smooth when you change......oh she goes over 80km without any problems :)

bigest problems with singapore cars is all the rubbers and plastics get cooked .

the roads are so hot there ,the heat comming up from underneth cooks all the rubber hoses and plastic wiring etc .

jsu beaware ,a freind of mine got a 1995/96 7 series he has had alsorts of electric probs .

Mine came from Singapore with 80 odd thou on the clock. Imported by Jerry Clayton's - so that must say something., and they continue to.

I have had NO problems with mine - except for a door actuator, but nothing two hundy didn't fix.

Don't let a singapore car put you off, unless its done a million miles :)

B) I reckon some SingSing imports don't have heaters (though I'm not sure, for later models). Also in Japland (where I'm at). My 320i E46 has a AFK that was buggered after 60,000k. I'd say a Sing import would have that, and judging by driving conditions (stop and go), that should be worth a check along with injectiors, airflow sensor, fuel pump. That's the sort of thing that gets worn down in City only driving.

thanks for all the comments guys

but after having a good think about this, i've decided not to get this one, it just didn't really have the history i want and i think i'll rather be safe than sorry

but thanks for all the replies :D

Guest Andrew

Mine came from Singapore with 80 odd thou on the clock. Imported by Jerry Clayton's - so that must say something., and they continue to.

I have had NO problems with mine - except for a door actuator, but nothing two hundy didn't fix.

Don't let a singapore car put you off, unless its done a million miles :)

just cause JC imported it doesn't mean its better - just they may have fixed some stuff on it. They usually offer a sweet price on the singapore cars.

Hey guys ...

I would stay away from anything Singapore ... I spent 2 grand finding out the hard way what the singapore weather will do to the computer PCB. This was on an 320i e36 though ..

I have just bought a e46 330i and the first thing I made sure was it wasn't from singapore!

hope that helps...

my car is from singapore , and those that know my car

just saying my car come from sigapore is enuf to explain everything...................................

......for those that still dont get it... its f*cked

Edited by bimmer boy