Sign in to follow this  
paulo

e36 325i M50 non-vanos to M50 single vanos conversion

Hi,

I have the oportunity to replace my non vanos 1992 355i 2.5L motor with a single vanos 1992/93 2.5L M50 motor from a 325i. Thinking that I'll just have to swap the loom and ecu over from the (slightly) newer car and that's all I'll need to get it going.

Does anyone else know if it's that straightforward? or are there other things or wiring / connectors to be changed also?

Cheers

Paul

yes just need ecu ,afm engine loom etc . also what auto trans is it or is it a manual car?

Hi,

I have the oportunity to replace my non vanos 1992 355i 2.5L motor with a single vanos 1992/93 2.5L M50 motor from a 325i. Thinking that I'll just have to swap the loom and ecu over from the (slightly) newer car and that's all I'll need to get it going.

Does anyone else know if it's that straightforward? or are there other things or wiring / connectors to be changed also?

Cheers

Paul

What are you hoping to achieve ? Is something wrong with your present engine ?

If your going to change it for the sake of changing it... I'd wait for the oportunity and go for a M52B28

Non Vanos to Vanos in the same capacity is not really going to give you that much in performance gains for all the time and effort you'll have to put into it

yes just need ecu ,afm engine loom etc . also what auto trans is it or is it a manual car?

It came out of an auto car (Jatco trans), and will go into my auto car (Jatco, I presume, but haven't looked) both cars are jap imports - I think the ZF boxes were used on later cars? or NZ new cars?, but I may be wrong. Would I run into any issues if the transmissions are different types , even just with swaping the engines only?

What are you hoping to achieve ? Is something wrong with your present engine ?

If your going to change it for the sake of changing it... I'd wait for the oportunity and go for a M52B28

Non Vanos to Vanos in the same capacity is not really going to give you that much in performance gains for all the time and effort you'll have to put into it

My current engine has a blown head gasket. Rather than muck around with removing head, dismantling, crack testing, machining etc, it will be easier and cheaper for me to just swap in a complete motor in good condition. I would like a 2.8L motor, but the rest of the car is a bit rough, and probably not worthy of it!

It came out of an auto car (Jatco trans), and will go into my auto car (Jatco, I presume, but haven't looked) both cars are jap imports - I think the ZF boxes were used on later cars? or NZ new cars?, but I may be wrong. Would I run into any issues if the transmissions are different types , even just with swaping the engines only?

shouldn't be a problem ,just easier if both cars have jatco trans so you dont have to swap looms around etc . just take teh new engine's loom complte and plug and play .

are you looking at my one on TM .

can view it if you like 021433600

shouldn't be a problem ,just easier if both cars have jatco trans so you dont have to swap looms around etc . just take teh new engine's loom complte and plug and play .

are you looking at my one on TM .

can view it if you like 021433600

Cheers for that,

Just managed to secure a good running motor locally today for a good price...