Sign in to follow this  
APT

Brace it up?

Ok im am looking at the option of getting a front and rear strut brace onto my e30.. Des anyone have any opinions on this? is it worth it ?

Looking at getting the front one from overseas.. as i can get a rear one in NZ for about $75

Do they make a difference to handling at all?

A rear strut brace on an e30 is a waste of time due to how the suspension geometry is setup, your $$ are better spent on upgraded shock mounts for the rear.

On the front there are definite benefits in running a brace, reduced rattle and bump steer for me quite allot and ive try it on and off several times to be sure.

But for a $75 dollar one i wouldn't bother, its more than likely crap and will flex badly

Thanks Riley, thought i'd ask on here before i go and spend my hard earned money.

i was always told to jack the car up slightly to remove the weight from the towers before installing the braces, as it will make the brace that much more effective.

i was always told to jack the car up slightly to remove the weight from the towers before installing the braces, as it will make the brace that much more effective.

+1

Anyone know where i can source a front one in NZ ?

Got mine from www.pmw.co.nz. $350. Good brace

can't tell if your bring serious or not...

Hes being sarcastic, he does that

I figured he would have judging by the previous threads of his i've read. I was expecting it to be a case of i post a reply exlpaining why and then waiting for the full wrath of Mt. Olypmus to come crashing down on me...

Oh yea - how does that work????????????????????????????

I too would like to know? (call me stupid :unsure: )

I'd assume strut braces are much stiffer under compression than at rest, but would this not move the strut top when tht strut is unloaded (ie after the peak of a bump)? Thus reducing suspension accuracy?

I would have thought having the strut brace holding where the struts are at "neutral" would be more effective - even with the added compliance.

No I am not - I am expressing surprise at the comment and inviting proof with some substance that will stand scrutiny

No Probs, By removing the weight being applied to the towers at the time of installation you will effectively remove any preloading of the towers as the cars weight rests on those points. 

It's benfits are marginal but it's one of those things that i was told to do as best practice. 

Ron (3pedals) stop being a dickhead. If you want to refute the claim, post up some decent info. If sure what you have to say is useful, but if all you are going to do is get smart I'll delete your posts. They are unhelpful.

Would have thought you'd be best to set up under load, with the aid of a wheel alignment machine, especially if you are fitting the adjustable ones?

Edited by Silver Fox

Back on topic:

I don't have any rubber in the front of my car. Even the top mounts have needle bearings instead of anything with compliance.

I'm guessing a strut brace would be benficial? I'm more concerned about reducing the stress on the strut housings. My cage already extends to them, but the top of them is standard.

Any recommendations?

^ From people I have talked to, and I am no expert, there is no point (read: no difference) in fitting a front strut brace if your cage extends to the front strut towers.

Hmm, I can see the cage stopping longitudal (sp?) movement and some lateral, but the tops of the strut is unaffected?

Haven't heard of anyone in either Bmw race group having problems with the tower tops. Some run strut braces but most don't from what I've seen. Even when I hit the pit wall at 80 odd k's I didn't do any damage to the tower, all the movement was in the chassis rail.

Thankyou Ron. I'm not going to be drawn into a discussion about whether or not you were being sarcastic. Whether you intended to or not, your comments were liable to bait the OP and previous posters, and I know you are intelligent enough to know this. I stand by my comments despite them being rather abrasive.

Your explanation above would have been a much better first post and was informative, and I appreciate it, as do I appreciate your pearls of wisdom now and again (help with my TPS problem especially). I knew that you would have something useful to add.

This is an interesting topic.

I too had previously heard that the brace should be installed without load, and then a wheel alignment done. But whether this is good advice, or an internet myth perpetuated I don't know. I'm confused though - If the brace is not an adjustable one, then surely it doesn't matter under what circumstance you fit it as it is a fixed length and will space the struts a fixed amount, no matter if it is installed under load at time of fitment or not.

The same goes with an adjustable brace, but you could then adjust it under load on the alignment machine.

I think the idea of fitting with weight off the wheels is that as the weight comes on, the bar will load-up, and thus already be under compression at rest. I'm not sure if this is correct though.

Finally, I have also always being warned away from the hinged bars and cheaper solid bars that may be the wrong length and thus negatively affect alignment, but the PMW ones look to be a very solid hinged bar, and were designed and built specifically for the BMW race series. I would have thought that these guys would know what they are doing and that brace probably does the job.

From the PMW website.

I dont know how to link picture. So this should do.

Pic

*edit* beaten by Bravo

Edited by Creaver

PMW brace. I believe that Ernst and Peter Robinson had something to do with the development. It was discussed in a race series thread somewhere. I thought of getting one, but they look heavy, and I'm still not convinced of the bang for buck improvement for e30 over other suspension mods like decent springs, alignment, and bushes/sway bars, etc.

Posted Image